Time Twister...DONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I decided to jump in with both feet on this. This is not only my first time entering a build off...It's my first time attempting to build at all. I figure Rat-rodding is for me because I have virtually NO budget...but I have a bike....well three bikes actually...kinda.
I have decided that my criteria for this bike is this...
1. I has to look cool!
2. When finished, It still has to be my daily rider...which means...
3. It's gotta have multiple gears and...
4. It has to be comfortable
5. I want it to make people ask questions about what kind of bike it is and how old it is and stuff
As a bonus, I would like a bouncy front end...if possible.
So, I'll be starting with what I was told when I bought it last year was a stock 1981 Schwinn Cruiser 5. I found it on CraigsList in my hometown of Independence, Missouri and got it for $40.00.
I love the frame, hate the forks (What were they THINKING?!)...hate all the messy cables...I have an idea of what I want it to look like and that's about it. I'm thinking RatRace...OH...Why "The Groundhog"? I just have a thing about groundhogs...and that's it. I don't have much to work with or even know what I'm doing really but HERE GOES!

Re: The Groundhog

Here it is in all of it's wrong forkedness glory...the beginning of what shall come to be known as...DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!!!...The Groundhog!
TheGroundhog01.jpg

and I have no cute little bunny pictures, or kitten pictures, only the awe inspiring visage of the most awesome of rodentia...The Groundhog!
Groundhog.jpg

Nice lookin' bike to start with :!:

I'm liking the criteria! That will make a very usable ride. I definitely will be watching. RoCK the Groundhog!

I like the name, I have fond memories of my grandfather, father, and uncle all trying to kill groundhogs. Grandpa was the best at it.

What they were thinking when they put those forks on was "Let's give this a BMX vibe, those bikes are selling HOT right now."

yoothgeye said:
I like the name, I have fond memories of my grandfather, father, and uncle all trying to kill groundhogs. Grandpa was the best at it.

What they were thinking when they put those forks on was "Let's give this a BMX vibe, those bikes are selling HOT right now."

1981...You're probably right!

Nice bike...Get Ta Buildin'!! Peace

yoothgeye said:

I'll bet it was an accounting decision, a designer wouldn't do it...

raggedjim said:
yoothgeye said:

I'll bet it was an accounting decision, a designer wouldn't do it...

You forget, not all designers are *good* designers, and you know what they say:

"Good design goes to heaven; bad design goes everywhere."

The bike is all in pieces now.....neatly placed in little zip-loc baggies marked so that I hopefully will know what they are when they need to be put back on...except the kickstand...I couldn't figure out removing the kickstand. So I wrapped it all up in masking tape (told you I didn't know what I am doing) and am in the process of sanding the frame down.
IMG-20120313-01322.jpg

BTW....No, I am not sanding the bike down on the kitchen table...My wife loves me, but not THAT much. The actual sanding is happening in my OTHER shop...A.K.A.
IMG-20120312-01319.jpg
the front porch...

I dug out the seat that I actually bought last fall for my other bike but didn't put on it.
It will be perfect looks-wise for The Groundhog!

if it will stay and doesn't matter I'll leave it I guess. I just don't want to lose it and have to get another.

I don't care about scratches and stuff on the frame...is there any reason that I HAVE to remove ALL of the paint?

Joker-n-Jack said:
if it will stay and doesn't matter I'll leave it I guess. I just don't want to lose it and have to get another.

I don't care about scratches and stuff on the frame...is there any reason that I HAVE to remove ALL of the paint?

Be glad you have paint, mine is chrome! :x I'm dreading chipped flat paint with shiny chrome peeking out. Your sanded paint should make for a nice primer coat, but like Peatbog said, test before getting in too far.

Stripping is for frames with multiple layers or very crusty paint. I've seen a few 4 layer jobs here already. As long as they're compatable it's tough to get a better primer than original paint, well at least for us rattle bombers.

Back