Thunderbolt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is what I'm starting with, a 55 Columbia Newsboy Special frame. I'm fairly sure it's that model, as all the pictures of these frames are Newsboy Specials. Along with a Columbia sprocket, and a Thunderbolt chain guard, I have the original forks from the Murray frame used on the first auction rat. I have plenty of rims and tires, I'm not investing in any shiny wheels or nice tires. Just some copper work is about all the fancy work this bike will see. I hope to see more Columbia bikes in the build off.

34g6ct2.jpg

2epq103.jpg

I got those bars here, from unchained. If they will work out on this bike has yet to be seen, but they will be first on the mockup.

Sorry, I bought those bars just for this build off.

I don't have any cranks selected yet, that's a Columbia sprocket under the chain guard. Or did you meant the sprockets hanging up? I think they are Wald.

A peek at the plans. They may be hard to read for normal folks, I've got all kinds of degrees in engineering you know.

4t0he1.jpg

I'm getting ready to cut up this big piece of copper for parts. I got a Columbia sprocket after I took this pic. I'm planning on using dremel cutting wheels to make the cuts. That seems like the easiest way.

1zed1sg.jpg

I'm surprised no one else scooped them up, they were up for sale for awhile here.

How do I get them in a forged stem? I don't think I can, it'll have to be a stamped stem that can be bent open that far to get the bars in, I can't just slide it down the bars. Any ideas?

2vx2lhv.jpg

I just looked at the picture and figured it out. Duh! The stem will slide on from the end like normal, then just open far enough for the brace and then continue to the center. I wish I really was an engineer and could figure this stuff out easily. Forged stem it is!

Wildcat said:
I just looked at the picture and figured it out. Duh! The stem will slide on from the end like normal, then just open far enough for the brace and then continue to the center. I wish I really was an engineer and could figure this stuff out easily. Forged stem it is!

Haha, I thought maybe you had tried that and the brace was just too large to accommodate it. I got stumped on my first forged stem/braced handlebar too. hehe :mrgreen: :wink:

Well, the forks fit, and I've got extra threads for the truss rod bracket.

35ip0uw.jpg

Latest posts

Back