1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There is a solution for the broken Photobucket image issue on forums. If you use Firefox or Chrome, go into the Extensions (Chrome) or Add-Ons (Firefox) and search for "Photobucket Embed Fix" - it will have an icon that looks like a green piece from a jigsaw puzzle. Install the extension/add-on, restart your browser (Chrome) and you should be able to see all of the Photbucket images again.
    Dismiss Notice

THRUSTER --> D O N E !

Discussion in 'SPACE BIKE BUILD OFF' started by kingplinker, Jan 28, 2009.

1. kingplinker

kingplinker

Hey folks, been awhile since I checked in - you folks have been BIZEEEE! I am going to go ahead and say I am on board for this mission build. I have what I think is a Spaceliner frame, I'll post pics tomorrow (too cold to go up to my shop in the dark right now). I have missed building and tinkering with bicycles, so this is JUST what I needed. You guys have some GREAT bikes going for sure! Not sure I can step it up that much with my piles of junk, but I'll at least jump in and have fun building my "Worthless Human Thrusting Transportation Device"! — Peace, T.

2. cman

cman Moderator

Re: THRUSTER

Looks forward to your build. Glad to see the bike bug has bit you again.

3. kingplinker

kingplinker

OK, I have no idea what this bike will end up looking at for real, but ere are a few parts and quickie mock-ups just to get the ball rolling...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for looking -T.

4. BrigmasterA

BrigmasterA

I like the mock-up with the x-53 rack. the motorcycle bars look cool too. Oh and your frame is a nice start too. Can't wait!

5. kingplinker

kingplinker

OK, been slammed with work and other stuff - made some progress. This frame was ROUGH and unfortunately the chrome was not salvageable in over 50% of bike, so I started sanding, etc. on it. I got it all pretty smooth, but found a few places that need brazing - sanding frame is not that fun... so lot's of work on frame, but not much to show yet anywhere else... cheers, T.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. kingplinker

kingplinker

Worked on hole(s) in frame and straightening frame. Also added fender brace, I'll clean up the tiny holes with UV bondo. You guys ever used that? I can only find it at PEP Boys, it comes in a red tube. You just spread it on, work it as much as you like (out of the sun), and then set it in the sun and BAM - its hard as a rock & you can sand, add more all day long...- you should try it.

I am going to paint the frame a farm implement color that is close to "Minneapolis Molleen" - kind of a mustard yellow...
    PEACE T.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. aka_locojoe

aka_locojoe

Cool stuff as always.
    I tried the UV Bondo once but didn't work well for me from what I recall.

8. kingplinker

kingplinker

there a few different kinds, I'll look to see what one I used, but I have used it on motorcycle gas tanks, frames, etc. and had zero problems - maybe cuz I'm in the hot texas sun :)

9. kingplinker

kingplinker

Some more progress, did dry run of everything, and worked out the kinks, going to be a little more "normal" this time I guess. Keeping it simple. Going for these bars, and old heavy chrome cranks and neck. I have to paint the stars, the chrome was long-gone (just like the frame). Took FORVER to sand the frame - you guys & gals know!

I got lucky with the fork supports, I threw the sissy bar down next to bike and it sparked this idea. I just bent them until they looked neat to me. Put one end in a vise, them hammered it flat and drilled a hole in it... going to paint them Satin Black I think...

Anyways, cruising right along, should start looking like something soon I guess... Cheers, T.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. uneasy rider

uneasy rider

great pix/documentation on build. like your place too. any fish in that pond :mrgreen:

11. Psycle Harry

Psycle Harry

Hmmm, there's gotta be a bluegill in that tank eh?

Hey...what made you think of painting the Thruster in the Minnie-Mo color? I still see a few of those old Minnies up here and that old familiar yellow is getting scarce. You are doing a ton of work on that bike....looking forward to seeing the final product...it will be so cool.

12. kingplinker

kingplinker

Hey thanks guys. A few sunfish in there, but it's pretty shallow. I have a few other deeper ponds that have some good ones in there. Pretty all the same. I have always thought a motorcycle would look great in that color, especially with brass and black stuff all over it - like in the (older looking) Zero Engineering bikes.. I love those. Anyways, a good friend of mine, an older guy has an old big wood press he painted that color and every time I go over there, it just calls to me - I like the color a lot. The paint I got is not really the right color, but its as close as I can get in a can down here in TX. :lol:

13. kingplinker

kingplinker

OK, got the wheels and frame painted, still a lot to do to bring it all together...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. karfer67

karfer67

nice work you had some serious work to do on that frame cudos for saving it and giving her a second chance at life :D

15. kingplinker

kingplinker

Hey thanks karfer! Here is last pic of the "the build". I put it all together today and spaced (ha) on the chain! I found one that will work, but had to soak it all day in diesel, then in motor oil. Here it is hanging up to drip dry... I got the bike all together today, and all working smooth. Will post the final pics tomorrow I hope. Nothing fancy or super custom like you other guys. The talent on this site never ceases to amaze me- great inspiration for sure... cheers, T.
    [​IMG]

16. kingplinker

kingplinker

Well, this is as far as I can take her I guess. I usualy like to trick 'em out s little more, but I think the simplicity of this skinny frame could not take much more :) - so I am happy with it as-is.

I used satin black for the black in the frame. I painted points on parts of frame and fork braces, and outlined with thin silver auto pinstripe tape (cuz I can't paint that skinny). I got in a hurry, so it's not a cherry paint job, and I dinged it in a few spots I had to touch up, but I was happy with the tractor implement mustard funky yellow for sure! I found this seat on an old exercise bike, just had to paint the underside.

I guess for the most part, all the components are basically from the same era in time more or less, that was an accident, but I think it helps the look.

She rides great. Seat is not super comfy, but it's all locked down and the kids have taken it for a few spins and it can hold it's own.

Anyways, I had a great time with this build. I would have never used this frame for anything if RRB's didn't have this build. I needed this build as a relaxing man project that had a sense of completion for sure. Thanks for looking. Keep on truckin' - Troy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. KOTA

KOTA

Beautiful!....Ah yes, the sense of "completion", nothing more satisfying!

18. muddywater04

muddywater04

I'll be honest, I haven't really been watching the spaceliner build. But that bike looks fantastic, and great pics too....

19. cman

cman Moderator

Looks good. Nice and simple. The new fork legs are cool. Did it affect the performance at all?

20. xddorox

xddorox

Very well done, congrats on a sweet build!