Thinking of reenventing myself

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone this si my idea wonder if it sounds crazy at the moment I deal in construction hay but I'm rethinking my path recently construction has slowed to a crawl an my biusness is suffering badly so I have looked into freight hualing but that looks well bleck to put it lightly so I'm considering YOUSHIP I got the idea from a pilot episode for a reality show but with all the internet purchases it seems that it would be an easy start any thoughts

I love that show, just make sure you bid it right. I used to drive semi with an ex so I know first hand a lot of hidden expenses in hauling loads from point A to point B. Here's a "Top 10 list"

1. Take into account for fuel usage and that fuel WILL cost more in another town.
2. Take into account wear and tear on equipment, breakdowns, tow bills, toll roads, food for the trip, tires, exc.
3. Make sure to look at deadlines and make sure it is possible without speeding, taking into account loading time, un-loading time, exc.
4. Make sure the load is within what your equipment can handle, as seen on the show sometimes people guess at the weight of an item and are WAY off.
5. Make sure you secure the load and re-check it every time you stop to make sure it hasn't shifted or straps need tightened or re-positioned.
6. Make sure your vehicle's tires are properly inflated and air filters are clean (Saves a boatload of fuel, a dollar saved is a dollar earned)
7. Be professional and polite when dealing with customers, good feedback is key to getting future customers to trust you.
8. Look out for idiots on the roadways. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!
9. Make sure to get sleep and to eat, don't wear yourself out pushing too hard.
10. Make sure you have paperwork on your load and KNOW WHERE IT IS AT ALL TIMES.

Hope this helps and doesn't scare you off of it. It's a great way to travel and get to see some awesome sights and make money while doing it.

Re: Thinking of reinventing myself

I actually own a semi right now I've hauled over the road before just got tired of brokers so I started the business I'm in now which has been good for a number of years but its just gotten so slow to where I'm struggleing to get by considerin selling out while I can an starting new with smaller rig or maybe just a whole new route all together no more trucking at all whitch would be hard for me because thats all I've ever done not sure what I would do really I can weld an also pretty good with a wrench just not sure thats where I want to be

I hear you there, personally I'd either get a diesel pickup truck and trailer and do the Uship thing or find a local delivery job driving a bread truck. I used to love driving and miss it every day but it just wasn't worth staying with the ex. :roll:

Have you ever thought about hiring a driver to drive your truck and make money for you? then maybe start a trucking company? The insurance would probably kill you though.

I've done that before an believe it or the insurance isnt the problem it's people they have no respect at all to fuel cost an keeping the truck up I like the pickup idea but will probaly try an tough it out for a bit longer

Well whatever you do I wish you luck. It's not easy to do anything now days in this economy but if you're smarter than the average bear you can still find ways to get by. I have learned the fine art of flipping bikes and trading up. Been doing great with it but I'm far from retirement or being "rich".

It really isn't easy that's what worries me I guess I've never worked for anyone before I've always been lucky with everything I've tried but that was a different time nowadays it seems that a dollar doesn't go very far my truck has close to a million mile on it so its getting time for a new 1 an really cant see that happening mine is a 2003 bought it new was 69,000 a new one now with the same specs is around 125,000 that's almost double the cost for a semi that's going to cost me more to operate I get around 6.5 miles to the gallon the new ones get around the same the difference is the cost of the blue def the new ones use witch it suppose to be better for the environment but is bad for my pocket from what I can tell freight rates haven't gone up so maybe I'll get out of it completely

One word of advice if you do decide to sell the truck is this: Spend a few hours and detail it out. Make it spotless inside and out. Pick up any trash in it, wash and wax, tire shine, shampoo the carpets, armor all the dash, wash the windows, polish the chrome, exc.

It sounds stupid but I have made so much money simply buying a cheap $500 car off Craigslist that runs and drives great but is dirty and then I spend an hour detailing the inside and running a buffer over the paint then re-sell for $1000. Works every time. Also one of the best things to get stains out of upholstery is called LA's Totally Awesome all purpose cleaner. Available at most dollar stores for a buck. Ignore the directions and DO NOT dilute it, use it straight out of the bottle, spray the stain and rub it around with a toothbrush or scrub brush then blot with a dry rag. Stuff works wonders and will get nearly anything out. Looks like this:

140018479-1.jpg

The dealer offered me 9,000 trade in on it I keep the wheels, tanks an deck plates polished no carpet an leather seats new paint thanks to a swift drive last year problem is its an 18 speed an nobody wants big transmissions anymore to many lazy truck drivers they want automatics now serviced every 15,000 miles so probably going to in-frame the engine an keep her besides I promised my wife when I got this 1 paid off there wouldn't be another I'm supposed to be retiring next year yes I'm young but have worked my entire life literally I started working with my grandfather at 12 years old at 16 I had my own truck it was only a pulp wood truck but it was mine an I havn't slowed down

Yeah personally I'd rather have as many gears as I can get. My ex had one heck of a nice truck, it was a '78 Peterbuilt that was restored from the ground up. 3406 Cat turbo, 10 speed Fuller Eaton pro shift, Jake brake, full air ride, and a king sleeper. Painted black with all the chrome, it was sexier than her. :lol: I actually got it up to 115 in the Nevada desert outside of Vegas once with a light load. :wink:

Yeah when I bought the truck I was pulling a cattle pot she'll get down the road just fine not a king sleeper though just a 36" flat top volvo 10" pipes an a 300" frame I'll have to get a pic up

Latest posts

Back