RRBBO13 THICK as a BRICK <Last peek!>

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if I need a matching aluminum plate eBay is chock full of them, some for only $1, problem is everybody wants $10-$15 to ship one! I may try to score a cheap one, but in the interest of time I'm still looking at alternatives.

Last edited:
Another part I've been saving for a special occasion (actually, they came on a used bike and I've been stuck with them because nobody makes shoes that fit them anymore). Far from practical, but these have enough of a platform that you can use them without special shoes. I may fiddle around with putting a plate on top and weight them so they are always facing forward instead of hanging down:

IMG_5285.JPG
IMG_5286.JPG
IMG_5287.JPG

I was thinking down low, integrated with the chain stays. Towards the back.

It's DOODAD DAY on RRB!!!! :D
Cool thinking with your goodies.
BTW, stainless steel is not magnetic.

BTW, stainless steel is not magnetic.
All steel is magnetic, to some degree. Stainless steels run the gamut from strong to very weak attraction to magnets. Currently on my work bench for queued jobs...

17-4 SS... very strong attraction...

IMG_20180723_221521453_HDR.jpg

303 SS...weak attraction...if I slid the magnet down any further, it would have fallen off...

IMG_20180723_221539392_HDR.jpg

316 SS...I had to go scavenge this off the scrap shelf as an example of very little attraction...

IMG_20180723_221619260.jpg

... won't stick to, won't pull it over... however, even with this material, you can feel a very slight pull when you get close.

You can also change the magnetic properties of some Stainless Steels by work hardening or heating them high enough to change their structure...I have a work hardened 303 SS shaft that has as much attraction to magnets as any other steel.

That's my PSA...now back to the regularly scheduled programming :grin:

Jason

Not going to tip my hand JUST yet, but here's a pic of some doodads that followed me home the last couple days:

IMG_5307.JPG

Clearance rack shower caddy that was still a little pricy, but can always still end up as an actual shower caddy. Plus some miscellaneous plumbing supplies.

IMG_5308.JPG

Even the creatively challenged amongst you can probably figure out where this may be going, but I'll wait until the weekend to offer up preview pics.

index.php

Goggles :D

Ok, one little sneak peek...not all of these parts are necessarily going together. I'm working on a couple different things.

Busted out the trusty ol' Dremels and had at it with this lens that's seen better days:

IMG_5312.JPG

Little cutting and shaping on the inside and things fit better than I thought they would:

IMG_5313.JPG

Amber part will get painted. It looks cool as-is, but there really is no way to do this work and not leave scratches. It looks worse in person, trust me. With paint it should look pretty good though:

IMG_5315.JPG
IMG_5316.JPG
IMG_5317.JPG

Latest posts

Back