RRBBO13 THICK as a BRICK <Last peek!>

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks beefie , go with what ever looks good in your eye , that's what's it's all about, doin it your way, doin good soo far !

Looks good. Looking forward to seeing what doodadery goes on the bottom section

My stopping point for tonight. Took a fair amount of fiddling with, but it looks like it is going to work out better than I hoped. Picked up some hardware today to move on to the next step tomorrow.

IMG_5211.JPG
IMG_5212.JPG
IMG_5213.JPG
IMG_5214.JPG

Still thinking about some sort of rear wheel disc. Found this plate at Dollar General for a dollar. Looked like it might fit the rear wheel so I picked it up:
IMG_5256.JPG

IMG_5257.JPG

Tried to drill a hole in the center and found out this is the most brittle plastic in the world! It immediately cracked almost all the way across. Wouldn't make a clean hole, and the more I tried to clean it up the worse it got:
IMG_5258.JPG

It didn't crack all the way across, so I figured I'd see how it fit and maybe I could find something similar. It fits great, but I don't think I can use this exact plate even if it wasn't cracked. It's like it's made of soap or something. The way it's mounted it spins with the chain, not the wheel. Still, it would probably explode at a couple miles an hour.
IMG_5259.JPG

Still thinking about the idea. Of course it wouldn't be white.
IMG_5260.JPG

Whoa, what kinda lights are those!!!!??????
If you stick with the small wheel disc, have you thought about using a frisbee?

Awesome. This bike looked boring to me at the beginning, but it has gotten cooler everytime I check.

Now about that plastic, You could try this:
1. Tape both sides of the thing You want to cut a hole in, it should keep the risk of cracking to a minimum. 2. You should use a frisbee, since they are usually made of softer, but more durable plastic. This plastic dish is stiff, but of course more brittle.
Since frisbees come in different colors You won't have to paint it. You could also draw something with a sharpee on it or just cut more holes or some pattern in it. It would give You more to work with.

I like the plate disk idea. What about something shiny to tie in the back end with the shiny stuff up front?

And that tank light idea is sick! Are those actual light housings, or what?

The light housings are just semi truck cab clearance lights. I'm going for more of an injector scoop look, but they would be a good place to put lights. Right now they kind of go off in different directions though.

I may look for another type of party plate that's easier to work with for the rear wheel. I'll scope out the flying discs too, but I think a frisbee has a little too much depth to work.

The light housings are just semi truck cab clearance lights. I'm going for more of an injector scoop look, but they would be a good place to put lights. Right now they kind of go off in different directions though.

I may look for another type of party plate that's easier to work with for the rear wheel. I'll scope out the flying discs too, but I think a frisbee has a little too much depth to work.

Metal camping plate might work.
https://www.amazon.com/welltree-Sta...=1532266800&sr=8-7&keywords=metal+camp+plates

campingplate.jpg

Mmmm...shiny.....

** @kingfish254 scrambles on internet to find semi truck cab clearance lights** :D

To put on chainstays as muffler bodies. :grin:

Air intakes, lights, exhausts. All great ideas for those. @Toeslider , I really like them as intakes. Maybe just add small backlighting deep inside

Air intakes, lights, exhausts. All great ideas for those. @Toeslider , I really like them as intakes. Maybe just add small backlighting deep inside

If I have time I'd like to make some fake butterfly valves, but it's kinda getting down to the wire.

The cab lights aren't super expensive new, but I got four at a swap meet for $20. These are the newer plastic ones. Older ones were metal, but I think would be harder to work with for bikes. For instance, on these I just belt sanded down the bases to make them flat (they're curved slightly to match the contour of a cab), which would be more difficult to do with metal ones.

Last edited:
Got some cool stuff at Goodwill. Picked up this sexy little spun aluminum plate for $1! Oh how I wish there were two of them! That's the problem with thrift stores, cool stuff for cheap, but usually only one.

IMG_5279.JPG

At first I thought it was a Christmas plate, but it's actually got a picture of a rooster on it:

IMG_5280.JPG

One thing I DID find a pair of was these lamps. $5 each. Anybody see where I might be going with these?

They look like brushed aluminum, but a magnet sticks to them. There's an outside chance they are stainless, but probably just plain ol' steel:

IMG_5282.JPG

Cut the bases off , turn horizontally, and you have exhaust pipes.

Latest posts

Back