The Wonky Donkey

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is actually a hoot to ride. Chopper flop ain't too bad. Ain't too bad for Daddy, that is. Thundrrr junior 1 gave it a little try, vows never to touch it again, but was laughing the whole time. And yeah, brakes. It's pretty easy to get outta hand, not taking it to any hills. Also, you think it was @SpikeFC that said the seat would tip backwards... You were right, buddy. And the leather belt solution I came up with isn't cutting it, the belt stretched and the seat tipped back. Not a huge issue, but I might do something about it later.

Looks like someone going to get hurt , riding that donkey ?
Bike accidents are a hoax. All safety does is give people a sense of false hope.
It's unconstitutional. Can't force it on me, personal freedumb. I don't trust the science.
Bike accidents will just go away, like a miracle. Maybe when it gets colder.

That's why we all need to wear or helmet and pads when we go out.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Nope, not Spike, it was @toro1978 who predicted the seat rotation. Dunno why I keep mixing those two up. Sorry guys!
Anyhoo, I grabbed a couple of electrical bits to fit as stem spacers. This one is for adding threads to conduit for electrical connections.
IMG_20200914_155441695.jpg

If it fits, I'll remove the threaded section, if not, I'll just use a section of conduit

Spikefc had a cool seat set up on his Ukraine bike in a build off, maybe this is why you think of him when trying to make the seat work.
Also we are both from eastern Europe.
I had this problem, and I felt it could be made to work but I gave up the idea. It was at the beginning of my tinkering with bikes and I didn't have parts I could adapt yet.

Yeah, that's where I'm at, not very much in the way of parts, and with just basic tools to do it with. I've been "building" bikes for less than a year and a half, started in July or August of last year. I think I have done ok, as Duck Norris and this donkey are my first two builds.

Last edited:
So do you have a quill stem that has the bar clamp as a separate piece? So you can attach the bar clamp around the brake bridge between the chain stays? So you try to install on the seat rails two seat clamps - the front one will be attached to the stem you have been using so far, and the rear one will be attached to the end of the quill stem (that has the bar clamp attached to the brake bridge). Do you see what I mean?

Foolin around in the driveway on the Donkey this week, and now I'm FULL of new plans for the thing. Maybe a skateboard nanner, cuz this children's mtb seat isn't cutting it in the comfort department. Obviously, I'll need to do something for rear support, I'd rather make it than buy it.
And brakes would be great, Flintstones brakes and flip-flops nearly put me into the side of a parked car! I'll see if I have a u brake out at the Undisclosed Location next time I'm out there.
And the Arbiter of Good Taste says the hockey stick foot rest is no good, so I'll be developing something better to mount through the bb cups. This will free up the kickstand mount, so I'll put a double leg stand there. This thing is so unstable that I can't even lean it against a wall!
As usual, this will be done on Matti scheduling, expect nothing before Ragnarok

Plans. Whatever.
Proof of concept. Flipped Donkey
IMG_20210724_160229758.jpg

Darnitt it actually looks ok. That rear dropout isn't going to work with the slot pointing up like that
IMG_20210724_160213223.jpg

Looks kinda....cool slammed like that. Maybe a smaller front wheel and flip the bars for a racier look.
But it is all dreams. The fixes my beast needs, I can't provide. I can't weld, so the dropouts, seat mounting, and bottom bracket can't be done by me.
To be honest, the real reason I took my poor Donkey out was more sinister. Got it thinking about the future. We'll have rabbits then, and you can pick em up and pet em, and won't be no bosses tell us what to do, and we can play all day....

BANG!! Blew it all apart and stripped it. Fork and tire are going to Good From Afar. Seatpost clamp too. The rest is scattered around the walls and shelves of my garage. Goodbye, Lenny

Latest posts

Back