The Wild One * 53' Lincoln

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it's so, I don't know; ordinary?
It's just the bones right now...
Down low, but not scraping, a 3 speed coaster with a skiptooth drivetrain. It IS a 53' Lincoln too, Schwinn built with all their leftover parts. By 1953, I'm pretty sure all Schwinn's had modernized drivetrains, but the skiptooth sprocket I have is original to the bike. The rear hub, I converted with a new cog, is part of why this bike isn't ordinary, even in it's bones.

Carl.

Last edited:
I liked your original incarnation of this bike. Have fun with the 2nd go round.

You building a Muscle Bike brother?

Carl.

Haven't had any time yet, but I do have a couple of muscle bikes I need to clean up for resale, so I may enter one or even two before the deadline. Nothing Class 2 though.

Haven't had any time yet, but I do have a couple of muscle bikes I need to clean up for resale, so I may enter one or even two before the deadline. Nothing Class 2 though.
Well Rats. I figure with 4 months we ALL could do a couple. :21: But Muscle Spasm has turned into a monster project and I want this little beast to lead the pack so I've got my hands full!

Carl.

So cutting down the OCC forks presents a problem...
c6b0145a23f56f98ff8a61e44895219c.jpg

When you look inside, you can see the welded in nut that attaches the fork to the top plate.

b16c4f92f99538e8cf2807b870577d72.jpg

so I found 1" automarine plugs at Menards and that's ok but the inside of the fork is 1" and an 1/8th. So I wrapped a bit of rubber electrical tape around each one and put it into the end of the fork tube... I also knocked out the little tabs that made the notches in the top tube necessary.

0df2f622e83efec5df57ecd0db4c74e9.jpg

I also cut down the center tube of the triple tree and used parts from a 1" threadless headset. I missed it by a bit and had to cut down the frames head tube about an 1/8th but it's all good.

28ae597b45812a1c32460ef068756673.jpg

and in the end it all worked out nicely. Cranking down the nuts, expands the rubber plug effectively attaching the fork to the top plate.

37c1d594b8d8b3d6e231ee5c1a6341b8.jpg

I also like the way that front tire fills the fork out. A vintage Carlisle Stud 20x2.125 would be a rear tire for many, but I have a Dancom G3 20x3.0 on the rear to keep the tire stagger rule in place. If I can find a balloon street tread for the front I might swap it out, but I like the Carlisle.

cf6c4fb3dd9b76035fe487c27e6b4f0e.jpg

A little progress when I can, still only 3 weeks in on a 4 month build off.

Carl.

Last edited:
Keep 'plugging away' Carl. :wondering::bigsmile: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Great mod on the fork / head tube mount. I really like the stance on this little tough guy. :cool2:

Keep 'plugging away' Carl. :wondering::bigsmile: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Great mod on the fork / head tube mount. I really like the stance on this little tough guy. :cool2:
Thanks, I'm liking where it's going too.
Here's a little before and after stance.
KIMG0268.JPG
Same style fork cut down...
TWO 1.jpg

Paint stripping next...

Carl.

Last edited:
So I had a moment of rebellion and thought maybe I could skirt the ape hanger rules with some authentic "muscle bike" handlebars... (they have a Stingray sticker on them)
21147e393392adfe50495ded61bf02d0.jpg

Now IF a guy was gonna use them on this bike... They'd have to be cut down cuz they're too wide.

Carl.

Last edited:
Hmm I don't like any of these handlebars either...
61e2c63856d428a41dea274d3637ef56.jpg

Carl.

Last edited:
But ...
I do have a set of placeholders that look perfect, until I get the apehangers.
4a2e113bffb6155f5a77ed7def25f47e.jpg
021f3a80e5c7a52f310ed351bb909270.jpg
009d9d8592e628e1062815a8fc19e929.jpg

Those are set screw type grips and I'm thinking of cutting the bars down to where I have the grips set. I really like the way these "fit" the theme. They'll be fine till I get the apes on... The seat is just a placeholder too.

Carl.

Last edited:
So... You are getting apes? Or is a banana seat in this bikes future? :39:
3 months from now...
Hehe, I've got an idea about cutting a two pan banana seat down a bit and leaning the sissy bar forward similar to the way shocks would look on a motorcycle. A sprung sissy would be ideal... it's all on that smudgy blackboard in the back of my head. I'm thinking I have some other parts to procure first, full fenders tops the list maybe some saddle bags.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back