The uGlY fIxIe thread is back!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're no where near as creative as that. They simply turn the bars up in the clamp. You can't risk dropping the beer, that's a federal crime in Canada.
"You spilled more than the Queen's Prescribed Milliliters. We're gonna have to bring you in, eh?"

They're no where near as creative as that. They simply turn the bars up in the clamp. You can't risk dropping the beer, that's a federal crime in Canada.
"You spilled more than the Queen's Prescribed Milliliters. We're gonna have to bring you in, eh?"
I have seen that before.

You will find this bike locked up in front of the chiropractors.
wno547ezxam11.jpg

Ha! Yeah those bikes aren't fixies yet. Although that rusty one might've become one on it's own without me knowing.
At the bike shop I work at, there used to be a huge pile of bikes that needed parts harvested off of them so the frames could go to the scrap yard. There used to be like 30 of those old, cheap American 10 and 12 speed road bikes. I took apart so many. They usually sell the bikes in that pile for free to $20. For some reson, I have wanted to get one for free and just fix it up with most of the original parts so I could just ride it around the neighborhood. Last time I checked, there was just 10 Walmart full sus bikes from 2010 and nothing else in the pile. When the pile was most full, I picked up an old coaster brake cruiser for my mom and an old mountain bike for myself that I turned into a fixie. I just want to give life to an unsuspecting 10 speed that is a Murray/Huffy/AMF/Western Flyer/Free Spirit.

At the bike shop I work at, there used to be a huge pile of bikes that needed parts harvested off of them so the frames could go to the scrap yard. There used to be like 30 of those old, cheap American 10 and 12 speed road bikes. I took apart so many. They usually sell the bikes in that pile for free to $20. For some reson, I have wanted to get one for free and just fix it up with most of the original parts so I could just ride it around the neighborhood. Last time I checked, there was just 10 Walmart full sus bikes from 2010 and nothing else in the pile. When the pile was most full, I picked up an old coaster brake cruiser for my mom and an old mountain bike for myself that I turned into a fixie. I just want to give life to an unsuspecting 10 speed that is a Murray/Huffy/AMF/Western Flyer/Free Spirit.
Something like this.
.jpg

At the end of August I brought back to life a 1989 Romet Orkan 10 speed road bike for a customer. Those cheap road bikes from the end of the communist era are the worst that you could find - poor materials, poor welding, poor building. It took me almost 4 days with a standard 8 hours in the shop to bring it back to life

My own a while ago: Why is it ugly you might ask?
Well for starters, the rear sprocket is a freewheel type which I found in the dumpster and then welded it (very ugly weld) so that it is a "fixed gear".

The first handlebar was made from broomstick-wood. It broke during the first trip...

The paint job is nice though...

gcSEwB.jpg

My own a while ago: Why is it ugly you might ask?
Well for starters, the rear sprocket is a freewheel type which I found in the dumpster and then welded it (very ugly weld) so that it is a "fixed gear".

The first handlebar was made from broomstick-wood. It broke during the first trip...

The paint job is nice though...

gcSEwB.jpg
I don't really need to ask why it is ugly. Brakeless with no foot retention. COME ON!!! That is besides the point. Forks look like they are going to snap anytime. Or should I say just fork? And the wheels! THE WHEELS!!! A suicide hub is safer than welding the freewheel. I really dislike the wheels and the hubs. What bike were those from? Dangerous I say!!! Death I see!!!

Here is our scrap pile now. Just Walmart MTBs and some Huffy cruisers. I did find a ladies 1960s cruiser frame yesterday though. It would be a good frame for my mom because her Western Flyer cruiser from that same era cracked.
20191016_190914.jpg

This one.
1061916350_39af134e00_z.jpg

Top tube pad.
Gold deep V rear wheel.
An explody front wheel.
Track drops that have been cut with grips on the top. the only real position on those is the one that they cut off. There is no place to really put your hands on the top of your bars.
Negative stem that has been raised all the way up..
At least it is a steel frame and not some thick tubed aluminum/carbon thing.
At least there is no real bright colors.
1061916350_39af134e00_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back