The Ugly Duck (Black Phantom Klunker)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This bike is a 1952 Black Phantom. My Dad bought this bike in High school from a friend who found it in an alley. He painted it yellow and rode it for a while, but as soon as he found a better frame, this bike was parted out because of the missing fender brace. After 30 years of being abandoned as almost a bare frame, I finally got my hands on it. This was my first "rat rod" bike. Here it is halfway through being built the first time in 2011. kept it as a cruiser for a few years, got bored.
I plan to continue to build it as a klunker.
I will not paint it.
I will not clean it.
The seat will remain.

Last edited:
Great legacy to build from!

i need to decide what color to paint these wheels, ignore the fenders
One of these bottom bracket adapters,
And possibly Cottered cranks?
So far I have about 30 off road miles on the bike, it the funnest bike I've ever owned by far.

Last edited:
Someone who actually wants to change TO cottered cranks? :eek:

Hey, whatever works! You can also use the square taper style cranks from mountain bikes or roadbikes with that adapter too...

Luke.

This is how I strip paint off my bikes. Course wire wheel and a drill. Works quick with no toxic fumes like paint stripper has.

And this is what a 59 year old frame looks like after a couple minutes with the wire wheel.

Nice work! Be careful using a quick release with a rear mounted disc brake though, a quick lock up can actually pull the wheel out of the dropouts...

Edit: Just noticed you have that covered with the dropout heading underneath the axle! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Yea not real safe way to orient the drop outs. It will work but if it comes loose your dust and gonna be paying the dentist real soon.

Yea not real safe way to orient the drop outs. It will work but if it comes loose your dust and gonna be paying the dentist real soon.
I think the original dropouts are still there behind that brake plate Karfer, the axle is locked in there when the plate is bolted on?

Luke.

Latest posts

Back