The Tallbike is Born

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how many people are into tallbikes, but after I saw one on the internet I knew I needed one. Here are some pics of my first finished build. I chopped and combined an old ladies Eaton Road King that i got for free with a huffy cranbrook cruiser that I got for $40. I threw a 20" tire on the front to push my weight forward a bit and make it more stable and I only needed 2 lengths of pipe from the steel market. The rest is history. Let me know what you think, ask me any questions and post your TallBikes if you got 'em!

thumb_IMG_5221_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5224_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5217_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5123_1024.jpg

I've been intrigued by the tall bikes for a whole now. I'll probably have to build one soon! Yours is very nice! How hard is it to mount it and get going?

That is the number one question I get. It's actually pretty easy to get on and off, but I am 6'2".

I put my foot on the pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke, push off and swing my leg behind the seat where the back triangle used to be on the top bike.

Great shot next to the tall, narrow doorway and window!

Jousting on a tall bike sounds dangerous. I like it.

There's a custom bike crew somewhere in this area that has a bunch of tall bikes they ride around in a group. Come to think of it, I haven't seen them since I brought my Iver to the Peabody Essex Museum for the "Art of the Bicycle" a year or two ago. Maybe they got into jousting and there's no longer enough of them around.

I dont have any welding skills, so I bought mine. Ive rode it every day since I got it.
tmp_18736-FB_IMG_1479677497324691084775.jpg
I dont think it's tall enough though. The next one will fix that. I have a welder buddy that's supposedly interested in doing some work for me.

A tall bike is near the top of my build list. Doh.

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

Last edited:
These are cool! I'd be most worried about stopping/dismounting but I see folks on those quite a bit here in cols. Looks like fun!

Be aware that you should extend the wheel base so your center of gravity isn't over the rear axle. Pop a wheelie and you will flip over backwards and it's a long way to the concrete. Been there, done that.

Tallest I've read about was over 100 feet tall. Or was that a unicycle?

Tall bikes have been around - in small numbers - for a long time. It takes a certain kind of dedication and unique vision to be into that kinda thing - something I don't have. But, it reminded me of a story from my childhood that has oddly haunted me just a little bit.

When I was around 8, my mother asked me if I had ever seen the bikes with the tall handle bars, and would I like to have one. I had seen this guy riding around near my uncle's house on this tall bike that looked insane to me, being a little guy of 8. It was an upside down frame so the pedals were on top, and then extended in some way above that frame, double height.

I had never had a bike yet, and had only ridden a neighbor kid's bike, so I was kind of horrified, picturing myself up on top of this darned thing dodging cars and falling over a fence or something. I said "NO," I did not want one, and Mom looked sort of disappointed somehow. The topic did not come up again.

On Christmas, I had a classic blue 1963 Schwinn American under the Christmas tree, and it was so big I could not ride it for about a year or so. That bike took me everywhere though, eventually became my newspaper route bike and helped me make my first significant money, etc. I've still got it stored away at my folk's house. During that time I bought myself a Stingray and a Collegiate, so I had a whole stable of bikes.

Some years later, my Mom brought this up. She said, "I remember when you bought yourself that Stingray bike. That first bike we got you was too much for you at first. Dad and I thought a Stingray would be your perfect first bike. We bought it for you for Christmas that year and we had it hidden away. Before Christmas got here, I asked you if you liked them, and you told me no. You seemed really sure, so we took it back and got you that big bike."

When she asked me if I wanted one of those bikes with the tall handle bars, she was talking about the brand new 1963 Stingray - not the insane tall bike that scared the bejeezus out of me.

So - ask questions before you say you don't like something when asked. You might not realize you're getting a Stingray for Christmas, and you might not get it!

I've got a couple!
The first one was made with two free garage sale bikes:
tall-bike-2_1_orig.jpg

And this one is just a single speed coaster brake cruiser flipped upside down
1_2_orig.jpg

Latest posts

Back