the STRAIGHT 7 special (complete!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, here goes nothing. This is my RRBBO2 entry, a simple 1977 schwinn speedster frame.

Untitled-2.png

speedster1.jpg

I have had this frame and fork sitting around for quite a while now. I like the slight cantilever top tube, and the bike looks long and low when its put together right. But this will be a really simple build. For one; im broke, and second; i am pretty busy with school now. I plan on making this bike my comuter bike also, so I want to integrate some versatility into it. A couple weeks back, I ordered a 7speed hub with a compact roller brake. Thats where i came up with the name 'straight 7.'

I plan on giving this bike the now ever popular 'boardtrack racer' style. Here is a sketch of where im heading towards. I would like to get some truss rods and a headlight, but that is pending.
Untitled-3.png

Also, I dont want to paint over the original paint becuase it already looks ok. Since I won't be sporting the flatblack and x color, this bike will really look more like a hot rod than a rat rod. But thanks to Rat Rod for posting this photo in the inspiration thread. This will be my inspiration:
517317586_8ffa375ab3.jpg

I didn't want to enter my bike for this build off because there are some seriously awesome bikes already being built. But I've got the fever again, and im in this just to have fun and to support you guys(and girls). I hope to see some crazy ideas and killer rat bikes. Good luck, see you in November.

Glad to see you back in the game.

For those who don't know...RBR was the winner of the first RRB Build Off with this beauty.

final11.jpg

ok, I've had this project sitting around for a couple of months, so I already have a few things done.

I went on a midnight trash dump raid and found some parts off of a junk mountain bike. I stripped the rims, then shined up the chrome hidding underneith all of the rust. I will not be painting the rims for this bike.
rims1.jpg

I also got a nice comfort seat with some decent springs and padding from the trash, but I will have to post pictures of that later.

Well, I have just moved into a new condo in Nashville and there is not garage to work in anymore. So this is my tiny workspace for now (I know this has nothing to do with the bike, but this is my build off journal right?). This shed cant be more that 7x3 feet or something, it's funny how small it is. Maybe this will inspire someone who thinks they dont have the right 'equipment' to build bikes.
shed2.jpg

check out the RRBBO1 trophy
shed1.jpg

I 'mocked up' the bike to show a real visual of what im working with. This is not quite what I will be putting on this bike, its just to give me an idea of what it will look like.
mockup-1.jpg

kingpin said:
i would kill for a little shed like yours!! it look very homely...
what did u use to get the rust of those wheels?

brett

hey thanks man, to be honest I like the shed too. But my main tool I use with cleaning up old bikes is steal wool, thats what I used to clean up those rims with. I wouldn't recomend using it on new chrome, but man it seems like you can clean up any old piece of metal with pad of steal wool (I use the finest grain I can find). Just find a seat and start scrubbing, you'll be suprised what you can shine up.

dont mean to butt in but but steel wool and wd40 go hand in hand on makin things shiny again.

does look like a comfy shed ya got there RBR, glad to see it included in the build.

See if you can find brass or aluminium wool, the steel wool will shed tiny splinters into the chrome which will rust up even faster than the chrome.

ok, i've been doin my homework.

I bought some high cutting wax to try to buff out the oxidation on the paint, but it didn't help. So I unloaded a can of Duplicolor clearcoat on the frame and forks. You cant really see the difference from the pictures, but it looks 10x better for sure. I've got some other schwinns with faded colors that I might do the same thing too.

the whole package:
frame2.jpg

closeup of the headtube:
frame1-1.jpg

Here are the parts I had ordered for this bike a couple weeks ago. There is a 7 speed hyperglide cassette, a shimano free hub with a compact roller brake, shimano derailer, and the front hub came from the dump rims.
rims4.jpg

I found a bike store close to my new house. I took the rims and hubs to them to get re-spoked. They did an awesome job, the spokes look great. with the rims and the bike. I also got some awesome kenda cruiser 2.125 tires.
rims3.jpg

rims2.jpg

I ran out of daylight when I was putting the bike together, so I will have to finish and take some more pics tomorrow. Im working on a seat cover too, I should finish some time soon.

That rear hub is cool for turning a coaster brake frame into a multi speed- never saw one before. I used a product called 'Color Back" to buff out some oxidation I have on Schwinn tandem.

It looks like your "On your Way" to Building another Beautiful
Custom RBR.

I look forward to seeing your Custom Conversions,
Tricks, and Custom Flare.

this one seems to be taking on a very nice shape!!

looking good Bro,

Peace,
Kev.

First thing:

thanks for the comments guys, I really appreaciate it. Congrats to everybody on their bike progress and any other bikes being built right now, they all look amazing.

Mockup time.

I slapped everything (except the brakes) together on the bike this afternoon. Everything worked out great. I still have some work to do, but I was atleast able to take it for a test ride!

mockup3-3.jpg

mockup2-1.jpg

dont worry, this isn't the final version of the bike for the build off.... if the masking tape wasn't enough of a hint already.

mockup1.jpg

I love the drive train. It shifts quickly and smoothly, and has just the right gear ratios for the kind of riding i will be doing on this thing. Today was the very first time I had even rolled on this frame before, which was exciting. I should finish the other seat this weekend, and I might be able to get my hands on a cool headlight. Pedals might change also.

cheers-

update time:

it seems to be popular this time around, but I tryed my hand at recovering a seat. I picked it off a mountain bike at the dump, and it looked nice and nasty when I first got it.

seat1.jpg

seat.jpg

it was some after-market seat, but it seemed comfortable. I stipped the old cover, and the metal frame off of it to clean it. I removed all the old staples since I was going to stable my own. I went to a fabric store and found some white vinyl fabric, and some cheap black cloth. Busted out the sewing machine and stiched a design onto the vinyl.

seat5.jpg

The seat frame was bent when I found it too. So I straightened it up, sanded some rust spots, and recoated with a new layer of black spray paint. I took the flat sheet of vinyl and stretched it over the seat, then starting with the front and back staple, I tryed to staple the fabric down around the entire seat post.

seat6.jpg

The seat pan had a weird shape undernieth, so I wasn't able to stable the fabric in some crucial spots. So there are some loose areas of the seat, which im not happy about, but it was fun for a first time kinda thing. Blah blah blah, here is the finished product

seat4.jpg

seat3.jpg

seat7.jpg

Tell me what you think. I know its nothing like firewalker's work, but it was fun. I think I might try to glue the fabric down first next time.

I've also been working on the small things here and there. After getting the gearing and chain where I want it to be, I was able to re-grease the bearings in the bottom crank. I cleaned up all the chome that I could. The brake cable got a coat of black paint, so it matches the bike much better now. I got the headbadge back on the frame too.

badge.jpg

I know this isn't a big modifacation, but I thought this could be a helpful FYI for any schwinn owners. I didn't have the original, extremely small, metal screws for the headbadge. So i hit the hardware store to find some now ones. The only ones small enough were these brass screws, and the length had to be cut down at that. The brass looks kinda nice with my bike. I could definatley see this on one of those lowrider bikes with the twisted gold bars and such.

badge2.jpg

cheers all

Latest posts

Back