"The Salt Shaker" update 8/1 finshed

Discussion in 'RRB BUILD OFF #5' started by HotRodJen, Jun 29, 2010.

1. HotRodJen

HotRodJen

0   0   0

hey everyone better late then never right ok heres the skinny ..
    IM GOING TO BONNEVILLE .. yuppers for speed week, hence the name "salt shaker" me and my b/f are driving cross country and camping out and since we are bicycle riding fools we are taking bicycles along to ride around the salf flats in, so now im up to 12 bicycles and have problems with so many and parts are swaped here and there i had to pick one and this is the one with all working original to this bike parts . its my western flyer womens 26" i had for little less then a year and only rode 3 times .. time to spruce her up and put alot of miles on it .

shes a tad rusty
    [​IMG]

my favorite part about the whole bicycle hahah
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

sanded it down yesterday and part of today and primed it white primer b/c the top coats are a lighter color, no i didnt take it to bare metal but i scuffed it up enough and took it down enough to get the rust out in some spots
    [​IMG]

made a make shift spray stand since it was crazy windy out today but the temp was perfect for painting ..
    i primed the frame,forks,tank and back rack , then i sanded down the fenders unfortantly the fenders were pitted so bad i couldnt save the chrome .. and then i primed them
    worked into the night..
    [​IMG]

now i have to let it gas out for 2 days, gives me time to think how i want to paint it :)
  2. vibr8shun

vibr8shun

0   0   0

Re: "The Salt Shaker"

Hey Jen...great to see that you've graced us with your presence :mrgreen: ...anyhoo!...cant wait to see your pinstriping skills
  3. HotRodJen

HotRodJen

0   0   0

yaa havent been on alot still have no computer of my own and been wrapped up with the nova and pinstriping for shows , but i still ride a bicycle almost everyday . after i get a new block in the car ill be able to set up more rides which wont be for awhile but it happens
  4. Wildcat

Wildcat

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I'm looking forward to see how it turns out. I've got the same frame in the pile that will be used next year maybe. I've been looking for another one like it, and yours is identical.
  5. icyuod2

icyuod2

0   0   0

looking forward to picking up a few pinstriping tips/insparation myself.
    dig the flyer grips!
    will be watching closely
  6. HotRodJen

HotRodJen

0   0   0

oh there will be some pinstriping and actually lettering if i can pull it off :)
  7. vanilla_gorilla

vanilla_gorilla

0   0   0

hey doooder is this your first official MSD build? haha
  8. HotRodJen

HotRodJen

0   0   0

yes it is my first offical MSD build :)
  9. HotRodJen

HotRodJen

0   0   0

okie dokie since my bike is "gasin out" im going to clean up the rims and see if i can put the old tires back on it so i dont have to go out and buy new ones bc this is a budget bike and a half ! i splurged on what is going on the wheels ...
    im making aluminum wheel disc's thought of this when i knew i would be taking a bike to bonne. and alumium stuck out in my mind i thought about cheaper routes to take went around 2 days ago to every store i can think of to find something cheaper ... but i was drawn to home depot and the aluminum sheets they had only picked up 2 sheets so far to do the front wheel , when i get some extra $ ill get more

bighits build i just stumpled appon and saw he's using black wheel discs totally awesome on his build , i looked up where he got his they only have black and white ..

so im going to try to make my wheel disc's im really excited about it hope i dont mess one up hahaha looks simple enough to make
  10. HotRodJen

HotRodJen

0   0   0

so i decided to get the handle bar grips off .. took a little coaching but i got it and it took alot more coaching to get the goose neck bolt loose .. they handle bars will be flipped like a track bike , as of right now the handle bars are so bad , so pitted that im going to have to take a grinder to them ..
    [​IMG]
    atleast there still nice where the grips were

me the happy sander hahaha, sanding the rims down and got them primered
    [​IMG]

tomorrow ... i need to work on my car . so i might not touch the bike ... might is the key word
  11. HotRodJen

HotRodJen

0   0   0

well i just coudnt keep my hands off the bicycle after i finshed what i had to do on my car i started to tape up the bicycle for sprayin the ivory down
    picture not shown is the tank thats just all ivory

[​IMG] back rack duh lol

[​IMG] fenders with a fat "racing stripe"

[​IMG] and the chain guard .
    kinda hard telling the ivory from the white primer , but i actually like the look of ivory and white together never thought about that , but no way i can deal with a white bicycle

... alrighty i have a art auction to be at tomorrow and then i wont be home till tuesday wont have a chance to work on the salt shaker, but ill be putting tons of miles on my recent freebie old derby horn tank bike ( 1st bike with a working horn )
  12. vanilla_gorilla

vanilla_gorilla

0   0   0

Re: "The Salt Shaker" update 7/1 :)

hey there ya go, that paint is lookin fine now!
  13. HotRodJen

HotRodJen

0   0   0

Re: "The Salt Shaker" update 7/1 :)

sooo i couldnt help myself today had to get something done with the bicycle figured id paint the frame and forks since they will be all orange until some detailing is done :) . still lettin the ivory settle, so heres some orange i think im gettin the hang of this spray can stuff , no runs ! , the bounce to the ounce build thats still not assembled had a few runs i had to go back and take care of ..
    so this is the orange still very wet

[​IMG]

ill paint the spokes by hand after bonneville it needs new spokes anyways
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

im wondering what color to do for the other accents on the bicycle .. the chrome/metal light cover that wraps around the front of the head tube and the fork cover thingy the metal/chrome is so pitted i know if i take it to the salt flats it will get alot worse , i picked up a can of aluminum spray paint but im on the fence about it
  14. HotRodJen

HotRodJen

0   0   0

Re: "The Salt Shaker" update 7/2 Paint :)

im pretty sure i can swing that . and ill try and get 1 more who is in the build off and others who arent in it
  15. rico

rico

0   0   0

It's looking realy good , my choice of color NICE :wink:
  16. karfer67

karfer67

0   0   0

cant wait to see the lines you lay down on this one. you are on a roll u go girl!!!!
  17. MonsterMetal

MonsterMetal

0   0   0

yeah nice choice on the color scheme Jen... Looking good.
  18. HotRodJen

HotRodJen

0   0   0

thanks everyone about the color choice :)

sorry took a break for the weekend had a art benifit,pool party then went to my b/fs for the rest of it we took the bikes out to harrisburg to ride along the river and to see fireworks :) heres our bicycles along the river ..
    [​IMG]

ok now back to work! today with the temp beings past 100 i think ill grind the handle bars , wait till nightfall to paint
  19. HotRodJen

HotRodJen

0   0   0

still really hot and humid here to paint anything ,
    anyone else having this problem ? haha
    primered all the fork accessories since the chrome is really bad , dont want to take that to the salt flats there would be nothing left haha

my battery tray is shot, thinkging about getting a holder from radio shack
  20. nosferatum15115

nosferatum15115

0   0   0

it will be a very nice bike 8)