The Rattiest 26” BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’ve built so many bikes this spring/summer that have not been documented. I figure it’s time to share again.

A coworker brought me her old Columbia Sports 3 bike for me to fix up for her to ride. It’s a men’s 3 speed. Her wheels were toast but I actually had been holding onto an old Columbia Sports 3 for years just because and I stripped it down tonight for parts for her bike.

Once down to a frame I grabbed a straight BMX fork and checked to see if knobby 26” tires on wider wheels would fit and surprisingly yes.

So, this is the start of a super ratty 26” BMX Cruiser.

2a8426f69be3ecebb0184f005519c2cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I struggle so hard finding just the right bars. I dug this set out of a bin in the back and they are super rusty, cleaned them a little and mounted them on a NOS stem (it has a 6” insert, made to ride high)

b38e97677d5ff15f35315a4d31222296.jpg

Then I’m going through cabinets upstairs looking for chainwheels and I find this mystery bar/stem combo hid away!

ec0aace543142c6c65f467edbbbdfecf.jpg

Decided to try and “patina match” the fork with the frame.

The frame was originally a silver, but has a green tint and some light surface rust.

I didn’t do horrible. I’d show you but evidently I’ve uploaded too many photos this month. Dangit.

IMG_4415.jpg

Maybe that will work...

So the answer is to upload an attachment instead of a photo. Ok, whatever.

Last edited:
My box of parts came in today but I had to run out of town for an appointment. Hopefully I can throw the parts at the bike later tonight.

Nothing special, saddle, padset, grips.

This bike is done for now. I ran cables, put on new brake pads, cut off the integrated seat post clamp, installed a BMX clamp, installed Dominator saddle, grips, and padset.

I took it for a few miles ride and the gearing is perfect, brakes are strong, and it rides extremely smooth.

I’m going to take it to the beach this weekend with the family and after that I may start upgrading.

Possible future upgrades:
-Weld on some rear facing BMX dropouts
-different stem and chrome bars
-frame and fork strip and paint
-swap out wheels
-new tires
-new crank
-new pedals

Basically all this would make it no longer the rattiest 26” BMX, so for now, it’s a rat.

e4f2ec5f2eae7b538568bdecb91bb44f.jpg

0a1e735fd89d091dafd46cb0ecb18620.jpg

1bf26eb16f036692a8a95c3976784745.jpg

Latest posts

Back