The "POS" or "Piece of Schwinn"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bike started out as an all original 1967 Schwinn Typhoon (pic in my intro) and wound up becoming the "POS"...somewhat of a Klunker-type-cruiser-mountain bike.

Features include 180mm Bulletproof BMX cranks, Wald #945 seatpost, a melted CODA seat from a Cannondale Killer V (which is my urban assault bike), Origin 8 Space Bar handlebars, and some old 2.1" Mythos XC rustwall tires. The rims are actually from a late 50's AMF and are still rather pitted even after a good application of Naval Jelly. I recently picked up a quill adapter in order to use a 1"threadless MTB stem and some red anodized VP bear trap pedals...I'll try to snap some new pics of those items on the bike this week.

One thing I really need to do is gear it differently using vintage parts...I'm gonna try and find a 36T Lucky 7 sprocket and an 18T Bendix cog (hint hint :wink: ) to give it a true 2:1 singlespeed MTB drive ratio.

POS1a.jpg

nice lookin ride. yeah, i need to find a 36 an 18 for mine.

Outlaw 8)

Why not 46 x 23? There's gotta be one 23t coasterbrake sprocket out there.

I probably have a bendix 18t and I am looking for a Bendix 16t for a freestyle BMX project.

If I go with 46:23 I will need to add links to the chain, plus try to find a 23T Bendix cog or just pick up a $5 23T BMX cog from the LBS. Oddly enough, cheap steel BMX cogs that are made to fit cassette rear hubs are very close in I.D. to a Bendix cog...I've actually taken a Dremel tool to one in recent times and carefully clearanced it to fit a Bendix hub.

edit: This afternoon I picked up an 18T Bendix cog from my LBS for free and I also have a 36T Lucky 7 sprocket on the way... :)

Figure I bump this now that the POS is officially finished as of Tuesday October 14th.

The 36T Lucky 7 sprocket arrived on Tuesday and without hesitation I shirked all my other duties so I could install it :lol: Now I have 2:1 gearing which is much better suited to offroading than the factory gearing.

This afternoon (Oct 16th) I decided to ride the fire roads at my local trail system to see if everything is in working order...sure enough after approximately 8 miles of fire roads the POS came back in one piece. I've done plenty of test rides around town but I really wanted to take it out in the dirt.

Here's a crummy cell phone pic from this afternoon's run:

TyphoonTestRide_640.jpg

Latest posts

Back