The Plastic Machine

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A glimpse at the assembly process:
KIMG0189_zpsi2rm3qqn.jpg

I had to get creative to make the Shift mech fit for the Nexus 3spd
KIMG0192_zpsoszd0lep.jpg

KIMG0197_zpsuu2jdawr.jpg

Which lead to making a shift knob. I rolled a bunch of melted filler rod into a big ball of poo
KIMG0191_zpscv5kluh1.jpg

Then colored all the veins in with silver sharpie and hit it with some translucent blue. While it was wet, I used a rag covered in thinner to wipe off all the high spots. Then cleared it all
KIMG0196_zpstbhkv0kt.jpg

.....and installed it
KIMG0198_zpsqazwomf4.jpg

Seat is a piece of 1/4" plastic that I bent up and welded in place
KIMG0200_zpsgsregatq.jpg

Almost done!
KIMG0199_zpsza2xawnx.jpg

That's way too cool. A truly modern classic. Is the type of material used hard like plexiglass or closer to a cutting board? What other cool one-off's have you built on your coffee breaks? :113:

Closer to a cutting board. I'll dig up some pics tomorrow of all my other creations

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Dig the lit up tank.
How's she ride?

Like butter. Could use a larger sprocket up front, but that's a quick fix.

First ride prompted the addition of star washers on the rear axle, as the painted aluminum and smooth plastic allowed the wheel to slide forward after a couple miles. But that is the only issue so far. No slippage since adding the washers

Not a frequent poster here by any means, but here's my latest scratch build. I have been working at a plastic fabrication plant for a few years now. That time is nearing an end, so I decided to get something done that I've been kicking around the entire time I've worked there: A plastic bike. I have made tons of parts for my bikes in the time I've worked here (seats, forks, tank plates, baskets, handlebars, etc) But a full bike would take a ton of engineering.

I did it anyway
render_zps4jzqvvbw.png

3/4" thick plates for rear triangle and fork
KIMG0146_zpspn9mqbo5.jpg

Machined Dropouts
KIMG0147_zpseetpzlrf.jpg

A brief mockup with the two 1/2" thick frame panels
KIMG0148_zpskr666xwc.jpg

Welded in a 1/4" opaque plastic "tank"
KIMG0156_zpsdpy5kmzg.jpg

Got some wheels: 3g 3speed with Kenda Kiniptions
KIMG0159_zpsb5uxreud.jpg

Another mockup with the pipe that holds it all together
KIMG0161_zps4szy3b1u.jpg

A rear view
KIMG0162_zpsgffbjfod.jpg

KIMG0163_zpstqdpuh3i.jpg

A rough idea of the finished product
KIMG0165_zps7awlgtso.jpg

1/4" aluminum reinforcing plates hot off the CNC plas
KIMG0167_zpsjnwjhtrd.jpg

Finished the fork:
KIMG0173_zps78pipfcs.jpg

KIMG0174_zps0o1dy9ip.jpg

KIMG0175_zpsh7wrxrae.jpg

Waiting on a few parts as of right now, but should be complete this week
I like everything you are telling me, right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is...truly one of the most amazing builds I have seen to date!

:rockout::inlove::rockout::inlove::rockout:

How do you think it will hold up to the stresses of weather and long term use compared to the usual steel and aluminum builds?

I totally missed the updates on this one. WOW!!!! That is one wicked bike! I love the engineering and the unique material/assembly. That definitely adds a unique cool factor to it, but beyond that, this is a GREAT build! How does it ride? Give us some more pics!!! :thumbsup::rockout::113:

Thanks for the kind words fellas
In terms of longevity, I would bet my life savings to say that this thing would outlast a steel or aluminum bike as the plastic doesn't corrode or react to any chemicals. We have tanks that have been in the field for 20 years or more, so I'd say it will handle weather and stress just fine

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back