~The Pepperbox Special~ Done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been raining off and on all day and since my shop consists of one room that's over filled with parts, and a carport covered patio, I got no work done in the physical sense. Mentally it's been a busy day, imagination in overdrive, I've been playing with all sorts of options. So far the base concept remains the same (Sergio Leone meets Mad Max under Stephen King's direction), but I have some ideas for some perforations in the sheet metal, brought about mainly by this picture of a motorcycle I came across years ago...

...and I'm still trying to to find a solution to this rack issue that's vexing me. I have an early 60's Huffy rack, which has a nice coffin shape, but I really think I need something bulkier. I may frame one in angle iron with a wood insert and a riveted steel outer skin? I still really want a Colorflow, and the perforations would go well with all the holes I'm planning on drilling...like I said I'm vexed. I've got months, literally, to figure this out though, so no worries. In the end I also plan on a pair of cowboy boots and a leather topcoat to find their way into this build, and not on the rider...that's all I'll divulge for now though.

Last edited:
Another productive day. I started wire brushing the frame and came to the conclusion that once it re-rusts a little of the original blue paint will actually look pretty cool, so I carefully removed some/left some.

I also started stripping the fork, since it had great original paint on it this ended up starting with Klean Strip-

And ended with the wire brush. Again this will have a generous coating of rust in the end.

As the sun sets on another good work day, my bike looks nothing like a bike, but it's beginning to move forward towards it's end.

That looks just like a 55 Newsboy frame I sold. I thought it went to central Florida but I might be wrong.

That looks just like a 55 Newsboy frame I sold. I thought it went to central Florida but I might be wrong.
I bought the frame from panelman, who resides in Florida, so it could very well be. Did the one you sold have a globulous growth at the junction of the bottom tube and lower bar?

Yep, that's it! It's good to see where some of all the frames I've had wind up.

Hmmmmm..realizing that the fork strut moves... Perhaps a brace do-dad solidly attached to the fender, going horizontal over to the moving truss rods. The truss rod end of the brace would be a round circular shape like a threaded nut. The truss rods could then slide up and down through the round end....Rocks in my head...

Last edited:
sweet build so far

Yep, that's it! It's good to see where some of all the frames I've had wind up.
Oh yeah it will boggle the mind! So far I have had parts I have owned wind up in Texas, California, Canada, New York, and many other places. I have found most times stuff goes to Texas and it never seems to leave Texas.

Oh yeah it will boggle the mind! So far I have had parts I have owned wind up in Texas, California, Canada, New York, and many other places. I have found most times stuff goes to Texas and it never seems to leave Texas.
Well, I'm glad this one made it's way to TX, I don't run into a lot of Columbias around here, and then as if fated, as soon as I got this frame I scored the ladie's bike I used for parts off CL for $30. The guy had it listed as a Western Flyer, but the painted over headbadge said Goodyear and the frame was obviously a Columbia. Being only a few years older than the Newsboy Frame, the fenders, Chainguard, etc., all fit with no modifications necessary. They were even originally the same color, once I got the robin's egg blue house paint off the Goodyear parts. Long story short, I'm glad you sent this frame to Florida so it could find it's way to me in Texas. And it will most likely be staying in Texas.

Really cool look coming on you're build, how's it coming on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So far so good. I've got most of the paint that's coming off stripped, leaving behind a little paint, and plenty of bare metal/blank canvas for rust to paint.

I also got a rack from fellow member JimK which I have some interesting plans for, if all pans out.

Here's what may later be incorporated;

This is turn of the century beadboard, which I got when my father in law remodeled his kitchen, that's original 100 year old paint on it.
Lastly, I decided upon a seat, for those of you that caught my Winter Build Off project, Draguar, you'll understand how stoked I am to find a seat this early on in the build.

It's a double pan, 50's Troxel, it will be reupholstered in the end, but I'm keeping with what under my hat till then.
I'm still trying to figure out which bars,grips, wheels, tires, and chainring I'm using, and I've got some covert fabrication projects to finish, for those I'll post progress pics once they're finished. There has to be some mystery, right?

Latest posts

Back