~The Pepperbox Special~ Done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'll be using this 1955 Columbia Newsboy Special frame

I'll be using this 194? Goodyear badged Columbia step through for some parts.
I'm planning on this project to have a lot of rust, a lot of repurposed parts, this build will be traditional in the sense that the frame will not be irreversibly altered as I have no plans to do any welding. Hopefully in the end I will have a cool bike that rides comfortably, and is true to the theme I'm shooting for, being post-apocalyptic western rat. Form and function melded perfectly, kitschy to the point of being a little over the top much like the pepperbox pistol in my previous post.

Last edited:
I need to pay attention to how you deal with your rat trap fork and fender, so I can figure mine out.

I started stripping the chainguard and front fender this evening, it seems like most of the paint should come off, if it doesn't and I have to resort to a wire wheel, I have a back up plan for returning the 50-60 years of patina, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

So far so good. It's only May and the mosquitoes are already rediculous, my legs are one continuous mosquito bite. West Nile anyone? Knock on wood.

Today after work I did a little more with the paint removal and found that under the blue house paint was original blue paint, and far more stubborn paint at that, so out came the wire wheel. The end result, satisfying. I'll have to re-patina it later, but I'll be doing a chemical patina on the fork anyways since it still had decent original paint, somewhere, someone with a teal Flightliner that needs a fork is hating me. I'll also be doing the same on the frame, a suspicious spot originally thought to be JB Weld turned out to be a very well, but sloppily done braze job to repair a crack, so some grinding will be required, subsequently ruining the patina that currently graces the frame.
I started working out some of the dents in the fenders and chainguard while I was at it, they won't all go, I need this built to have some character, besides the little imperfections are what keep us humble, right. So here's where I stopped tonight;

I just love that tarnished metallic black that oxidation brings.

I believe your newspaper bag holder thing is actually the chainguard side support to the rear rack of a women's Western Flyer X53.
Thanks. Looking at it, now, that totally makes sense, oh well it's broken and not going to make it's way onto this build. Funny though, I got it off a post war men's Murray, that had an X-53 fork, the provenance of this piece of a part intrigues me.

If you, "remember your fathers face," (King) this build will go great!
So is this to be Roland's new horse? Or that Tick Tock's?
Great story and a great theme!

Latest posts

Back