The Orient Express-New Finished Pics!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Screamin' Indian

Wheel woes. I started my day by tearing my wheels down to clean them up. Decided the original hoops didn't look didn't fit the rest of the bike so I grabbed a pair of skinny black wheels off the wall and unlaced them, planning to relace the original hubs to the new hoops. This is when it all falls apart. The new rims are both 36 hole and the old ones are a 40 and a 32. Time to change gears, so to speak. I listed the nice chrome Ayara wheel set including the hubs in the for sale section. Now I think I will unlace my Sachs Duomatic kickback and lace it into either my new skinny hoops or pull my 700c's off the grav racer and use those. I have an old Union front hub that will be coming into play as well.

I did manage to get my welds smeared with bondo and will sand them down tomorrow morning. Then hopefully I can squirt some paint on the frame. I am leaning towards a burgendy and cream. Or perhaps a nice forest green? Top it off with some thin gold lines before trying my hand at aging the paint to make it look old. Any suggestions?

like this color green
468669.jpg

Any one know where I can find some board track bars like this?

Soma ---Major Taylor bars.New for about $30

Wow I really like that color. Good job!

It has been a productive afternoon in the garage. Frame got it's gold pin-striping, wheels got built (still need to true them up), and a quick mock up for pics. Getting a seat from Ratfink1962 and a crank set from Metal Militia. Just need to buy tires, tubes, a chain and a pair of crank pins before I can call it done.

2010-12-04224208.jpg

2010-12-04224219.jpg

2010-12-04224235.jpg

2010-12-04224247.jpg

2010-12-04224409.jpg

mikesbikes36 said:
lookin good man ...is that hammered finish paint on the rim ? im gonna use some of that stuff i think i like it !!

It is Rustoleum Multi-Colored Textured paint. I was hoping it would reproduce the look of wood rims. Didn't come out like I had hoped, but it did reproduce a very good patina-ed rust.
SRMtsAbrSpL.jpg

That added bar definitely adds to the build and makes it look like a really old frame. Turning out nice.

I'm really liking the gold accents. Great stripe work. Whole thing is looking good. :D

Latest posts

Back