THE NAME OF THIS PLACE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
What's in a name?

Six years ago when I started this forum I chose the name based on the fact that most folks were referring to vintage bikes that were cobbled together from different parts to create a cool looking cruiser that had 50's hot rod styling as a "Rat Rod Bike." Back in the 80s and 90s street rodding days, that typically ment a flat black paint job with red wheels and white walls, but that has somehow evolved into the wild rusty cartoon-like creations we see today.

To most folks in the traditional hot rodding scene, the term is one they can't stand to use or hear. I will admit that it hasn't been my favorite either, but I chose it for search engine optimization purposes and it was a term that seemed to be recognized by the custom bicycle building crowd.

I've toyed around with idea of changing the name of the forum from time to time, but my biggest fear is that it would either mess up all of the history I've created online or it wouldn't be as easy for folks to find who are out searching.

Am I thinking about it too much? Do people really care about the term when it refers to bicycles?

Curious what people think about these kooky thoughts of mine.

Rat Rod said:
Am I thinking about it too much? Do people really care about the term when it refers to bicycles?
Yes. No... well at least I don't.
I guess I don't see that there's any problem. All is well as far as I'm concerned. There's too much gray area in what were doing to worry whether the name is an exact representation of what this is about.

steve, if it aint broke dont fix it! :wink: sure it was cool when we were a "small town", but we are a bustling city now,and we have all been drawn here by the term rat rod. everyones interpretation of the term differs, but the end result is a bunch of great people trading ideas and building the kind of bicycles that make them happy to ride.

I'm proud to have my old cobbled together Murray Cruiser called a ratrode. She maybe old and dinged up but she rides as good as a new bike, and didn't come with a made in China sticker on it. Live on Ratrod Bikes.com :mrgreen:
Kenny

If it eases your mind RRB is the 3rd link google'n hot rod bicycle :wink: I think the bigger the place gets the higher it should rise on searches if that's your concern ... or does it work some other way ??? I don't think the term is keeping anyone from joining up though.

"Wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai

I like the name and im greatful that you created such a great site.This site is something to be proud of !thanks for creating such a inspiring forum! lets get more Dads off the couch and in the garage building bikes!

I'm just a Rookie in this community. Personally I like it just the way it is. From "RatRoding" to "customizing" the thought of building from formula to aftermarket parts and altering the appearance of a bicycle or to what no one has never seen before.. To me defines this forum. But hey.. You the founding Father of this site and whatever happens I'll support it!!! :mrgreen:

I think the term "Rat Rod" brings to mind self expression in building a custom piece, weather it be car,motorcycle or bicycle etc. with the pride and fun the way you want it. The name is probly what brought most of us here.Of coarse everybody thinks the flat black red wheels whitewalls kinda of sterotype You can not change that. What does the term "Restored" mean? well its different to everyone. So no matter what the name you have built a very successfull site that 10,000 people seem to enjoy ! Oh I looked up the term "Rat Rod Bikes" and it said " A group of people joined together all over the world building bikes their way and have fun doing it! Tom :D :!:
p.s. I wish you would put spell check on here!

I'm proud to be Rat :!: To me the name has come to mean everything I find on this site , There are plenty of bike styles represented here , all co mingling peacefully . The name Rat Rod Bikes lends itself to a more relaxed forum , with less emphasis on correctness . And , it certainly doesn't hurt that search engines bring it near the top :wink:

I say keep it what it is. It's who we are, a bunch of guys and gals that build whatever we have and don't look down on anyone because they don't have money or some ultra rare bike. As long as it is finished with style you're welcome here. I found this place because of the name. Besides if you changed the name you'd have to order a bunch of T-shirts with the new name. Do you really want to change the name? :lol:

Sir, you can name it what ever you want - It will always be Rat Rod Bikes to the first 10,000
What is great about this site is it has all types of bikes 10 speeds, BMX, Muscle, Vintage, ECT. They are all welcome and fly under the Rat Rod Bike Banner.
In short. you have built it, we have come, others will follow.

MO RATTA
MO BETTA

Nuff said

tucker said:
They are all welcome and fly under the Rat Rod Bike Banner.
In short. you have built it, we have come, others will follow.

Well put. The 10,000 of us have come together and formed a loose knit family of folks who enjoy bicycles of all types. Your leadership and the strength of our members has kept this forum family friendly, positive, and comfortable. Everyone can find a place to fit in here (except the spammers and those looking to defraud the other members) regardless of what they choose to ride.

TL;DR- The name fits who we are and what we do. You have built a place where we all choose to hang out. Keep up the good work!

OK... Change the name to...

Someprettyshineybikesthatgotoldandusedandsometimesrustythengotfoundbysomeonewhocaredenoughttorebuildorrestoreitbacktooriginalorbuilditintothecurrentownersowncreation BIKES

on second thought.....I think Rat Rod Bikes, works just fine,.. but Thanks for asking.

I know the 'traditional' car hot rodders disdain the 'ratrod' moniker, but they HAD a history of traditional hot rodding.

We didn't.

We had the OG cruisers of the '40s-'50s and then the muscle bike era of the '60s-'70s.

That's about it.

I too, wish we could come up with another name that will stand the test of time and take this hobby into the next decade.

Latest posts

Back