THE MURRAY MOTOBIKE UPDATE DONE FOR THE MOST PART 5/28

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, i got the bike together thurdsday night and was able to ride it for the first time yesterday. i am very pleased to say the least with this bike. i am very happy with the way it runs and looks, i guess i am pretty proud of my self! :wink: anyway, the 3.5hp briggs runs excellent, i can actually take off from a dead stop without peddaling! it also has supprisingly great low end for the hills. i took it through our local park and pratically idled up a hill that we have to get a good run at on our whizzers! the exhaust tone is awesome, especially when just lugging around at 15mphs or so which it does excellent without hardly any clutch slippage at all. i still havent gotten the front wheel with the drum brake ready yet so i am running this one for the time being, beleive me i will be so glad to have the extra stopping power! :shock: also still need to make a set of bars and a few other odds and ends/tweaking! notice the ten speed shifter lever on the bars, that is my choke lever. the choke on the carb is spring loaded and a pain to hold over while trying to start and work the throttle at the same time so i came up with this attached by cable and it works slick. surprisingly this thing push starts very easy even cold, so the rope start will probably come off later on down the road, but i will probably still keep the side cover. hope you guys enjoy! i know i do! :lol:
DSCF0167.jpg
DSCF0168.jpg
DSCF0169.jpg
DSCF0170.jpg
DSCF0171.jpg
DSCF0172.jpg

actually it's belt primary drive also. i am not too sure of top speed yet, i am going to strap the garmin on the bars and take her for a ride to find out! :wink:
cobrafreak said:
Very nice work. I like how you have the chain primary and belt final drive. Do you have an estimated top speed with your current gearing?

went for about a 5mile ride today with my brother in law. he has a 2007 whizzer and i can out run him! not sure what the top speed was when we were running them tapped out but it cruises excellent at 30mphs which is what i like to run the majority of the time. funny thing happened while we were riding. the screw fell out of the throttle butterfly that holds my cable on, i rigged it to get back and i felt something in my sandles i was wearing, yeah i know real smart wearing them :oops: , anyway the screw fell into my sandle! too lucky! :lol: the bike rides really good, and overall i am very happy with it.

i swapped out the fork on the murray today to a x-53 springer. i tore it down at lunch time and didn't get it quite done so i rode my whizzer back to work, talk about night and day difference between the two! i wanted to jump off and throw rocks at my whizzer! it's hard to beleive how much more torque the briggs has with both engines being 148cc's.

actually i was wrong, they are 138cc's. we went for a 45mile ride today and i rode my murrray. at top end they are very evenly matched, i do have more lower end torque and do better on the hills. i would love to find someone that makes after market parts for these 3.5hp briggs. theres got to be someone out there!

It's a shame you didn't use a 5hp Briggs.. TONS of aftermarket support for those, since many people use them for go karts and mini bikes. Everything from cams to heads to aftermarket blocks (check dynocams.com sometime.. they have everything 8) ) In reality though you could probably swap one in.. I don't think there is much of a size difference between the 3.5 and 5hp. I could be wrong though.

What is the clutch connected to? Is that a torque converter? I may need a little help on what I'll need to make my Motobike run right lol

Vintagebikelover24 said:
What is the clutch connected to? Is that a torque converter? I may need a little help on what I'll need to make my Motobike run right lol
nope, not a torque convertor. it is a slip clutch, the small "idler" pulley in between the motor and the secondary pulleys is the clutch. let the clutch lever out and it engages-up postition, pulley lever in and it disengages-down position. very simple really. the secondary pulleys are from a whizzer. you can find them on ebay. they are made as a one piece unit.

How about the slip clutch? How much does that cost? Sounds awesome

Vintagebikelover24 said:
uhh...well, it's kind of a homemade thing a friend of mine came up with. he desinged it to put on our whizzers because the factory clutch on them were always slipping. i can try and get some pics of it so you have an idea how it works.

murraymadman said:
Vintagebikelover24 said:
uhh...well, it's kind of a homemade thing a friend of mine came up with. he desinged it to put on our whizzers because the factory clutch on them were always slipping. i can try and get some pics of it so you have an idea how it works.

Please do! And if he would want to make and sell one I'd like to know a price lol

this side you have the clutch cable hookup. you can see the collar that mounts the assembly to the seat tube. this is drilled and tapped them cut in half. the shaft passes through some heavy walled tubing. two set screws tightens down the part to the shaft that the cable is attached to. pretty simple!
DSCN0104.jpg

Latest posts

Back