THE MURRAY MOTOBIKE UPDATE DONE FOR THE MOST PART 5/28

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have posted this one before but thought i would put it in this section. built this about 5 years ago. it is a murray with a shelby springer running a briggs wmb motor and rear sheave and pulley set up from a whizzer as well a whizzer gas tank. the motor is about bullet proof, but i am in the process of putting a 3.5hp briggs on it right now. the wmb does fine, it just doesn't like hills at all! i want to be able to ride this bike on some of the rides we go on during our whizzer rides. some of the hills, well there just is no way. :wink: i am having to make some frame mods for the engine to fit. it is taller than this one. i will post some pics later of the process.
100_4383.jpg

Re: THE MURRAY MOTOBIKE

just wanted to say that bike is amazing. The fit of the engine, the tire color, everything. Nice Job!

thanks for the compliment. i wanted to keep it more of the old school look and function. i will probably paint up the 3.5hp motor to resemble this one. the new motor has a pull start, but i will probably due away with that and just have it as a push start with the clutch engaged. will be posting some pics hopefully tomorrow of the progress on the motor swap. i am hoping to have it running in the next week. after i get it all together and see that i works well, i will then take the motor back off for paint and some motor up grades. i plan on milling the head and a 3 angle valve job.

this is one that i put together about 3 years ago with a 3.5hp briggs with the mods mentioned and it really hauled! i was running an automatic clutch on it and it was impressive so i can't wait to see what this one will be like with a manual slip clutch!! :shock:
100_2001.jpg

A multi speed hub wouldn't make any difference since the motor gearing is not really connected huh? Nice bikes,gonna have to build something with a motor. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

uncle stretch, your right on that one. you are bypassing all the gearing in the hub with the belt connecting the wheel to the motor. my dad is actually designing a two speed clutch for our whizzers. he has pretty much decided how to do it it is just a matter of getting it together.

here are a few pics of mods i had to do to the frame. a buddy of mine asked me if i felt bad cutting the frame? well, yes. but the way i look at it, it will always be a motorbike and i will never sell this thing. so really as far as hurting the value of it doesn't really matter. atleast that's what i told myself to eaze the pain! :lol: anyway, i heated and bent the front part of the tube i cut and welded in a plate to strengthen the frame. the rear part of the tube i have to do yet.
DSCF0043.jpg
DSCF0045.jpg

Re: THE MURRAY MOTOBIKE PROGRESS W/PICS 12/4

had a little progress take place this week. have the metal welded in on the frame and the motor mount plate welded in as well. this thing should be rideable by next weekend if not sooner! need to make an intake for the carb, and hook up the throttle cable, fuel line and a few odds and ends. when i tear it back down for motor mods, i will probably give it a face lift w/new color-not sure just what yet. :wink:
DSCF0048.jpg

Re: THE MURRAY MOTOBIKE PROGRESS W/PICS 12/4

well, since the last post i have test rode this several times and i am very pleased with the performance. although the 3.5hp briggs does great, my friend asked me if i had tried fitting in the 5hp briggs i have....no i havent!!! :shock: never even crossed my mind that those two motors were that similar in size phisycally. looks like the she will fit!!! my friend who works at the small engine shop will be doing the work on the motor. right now i think we are just going to fresh it up with some new rings, a valve job, mill the head a little and run it like that for a while. later on he has a racing rod and piston along with a crank from a go cart that we will put in. hopefully the belts will hold up!!! :lol: i will post some pics later, right now the bike is all apart awaiting paint etc.....

Re: THE MURRAY MOTOBIKE UPDATE WITH PICS 4/25

its been a while posting here. anyway here is the tank to the bike. the frame/fork and wheels are the same color. i thought the jackolantern face would look cool with the color and all! should be going back together with it later this week after i get it clear coated.
tank1.jpg

Re: THE MURRAY MOTOBIKE UPDATE WITH PICS 4/25

got the frame and tank back from being clear coated. here is what she looks like as of now. should start making some good progress now.
murrayorange.jpg

Re: THE MURRAY MOTOBIKE UPDATE WITH PICS 5/18

here is an update. i have the rear wheel on with the pulleys and belts. the chain is on as well as the crank and pedals. i will be working on the exhaust tomorrow along with making some bars. if all goes well, i hope to be riding it next week! :wink:
murray01.jpg
this should give the exhaust a vintage look!
murray02.jpg

I seem to recall seeing kickstarter pull-rope replacement units for Briggs and Tecumseh type mini bikes years ago, you might look into that.

You could just attach a folding lever to the ratchet, but then you have to kick forward, and also those add-ons weren't 1-to-1 so you might not end up turning it far and fast enough. :|

Re: THE MURRAY MOTOBIKE UPDATE WITH PICS GETTING CLOSE! 5/24

it's getting real close to being finished up with the bike. i am hoping to have it done by this weekend so i can ride it to a local car show. pretty much all that's left is the clutch cable,air cleaner,tank. i am have front wheel issues, but hope to have that taken care of tomorrow. i haven't been able to find 7/8inch tubing yet to make my bars, so i threw these on for the time being. don't look too bad i guess.
murraybike.jpg

Latest posts

Back