The LLSX53 gets some love. (and fleet)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since ive built a bike - as i was readying the jetflow for it upcoming build, i needed to empty out the garage. I like to slowly collect my parts then slowly syphon them in to my bikes.

i recently picked up a decal set for the x-53 on ebay, i really wanted the 2 fork "w"s -

dd0ad514.jpg

the guy i got the decals from said that it would only come with 2 of them, but to my surprise i got 3! top bar time...

4d615a98.jpg

i also put the correct murray ohio stem on it rather than the specialized road style gooseneck. i think this gives it a bit more of a clean look.

i also got these pedals from a friend - they were in ok shape when i got them, but they did need a bit of work. i wire wheeled down the ends and clear coated them,

cd0a2c85.jpg

i also washed the blocks with soap and water then used my "secret old bicycle rubber treatment" on them...

f81389a8.jpg

i also took the time to clean up the hardware at the rear of the bike.

8ba77648.jpg

after doing all this stuff, i realized that the crank is a bit loose and sloppy. im going to have to take her to the bike shop to find the right size bearings for it. i also want to find an older looking chrome crank, and i think the rims are due for a good truing.

overall i couldent be happier with the results.

19e7daee.jpg

anyone have a good WF speedo setup?

now for the fleet....

i pulled out most of the big boys to get at the goods.

ab39624b.jpg

38 hawthorne...

de875e5f.jpg

started stripping the tank - i didnt think that there were any remants of graphics on it, but there was - im going to break out the chem stripper this week. and see what i find...

the teens motobike with modern velocity faux wooden rims.

69fc95d6.jpg

this bike rides awesome - the model a rides like a dream - thanks slick - and its really a great bike to ride - i took the good seat off because im scared to foul it with my behind - i have to mod up my brooks saddle to fit the old lucky 7

the lovely firestone super cruiser imperial....

e27edd59.jpg

now featuring nos flexgrips...

and of course the x...

a5b88d33.jpg

I have been a fan of that X-53 ever since I first saw it ...I picked one up a couple of weeks ago ... got it all tore down ... startin to clean parts and put it back together ... hope my result is as good as yours ... Thanks for the inspiration ... rr

Latest posts

Back