The little blue dot and how great it is! (With poll!)

Discussion in 'FORUM TALK' started by LukeTheJoker, May 20, 2015.

?

How great is the little blue dot?

Poll closed May 27, 2015.
  1. I love the little blue dot and use it all the time!

33.3%
  2. I had no idea it existed but now I want to marry it!

33.3%
  3. Luke, everyone knew about this many months ago, open your eyes!

33.3%
  4. I don't have a blue dot, I use Internet Explorer, lucky to get it to load at all. :-(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I use Tapatalk, someone teach me how to do this on there!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

I just realised that there may be some members who have not realised the full potential of the site and it's new features since the change over, I only found one such feature recently and it saves a lot of searching around to find where you are up to in a thread, but more on that later, here is one thing you should know but may not yet...

Save this into your bookmarks: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?find-new/posts

If you open the site using that thread it will bring up a list of all threads that have new posts since you last were on the site, very handy! This is now the only way I enter the site and I constantly "refresh" using it during the day.

Now, on to the little blue dot! I only found this by accident, I may be unobservant and everyone else already knows this, I don't know... :oops:

I had been just clicking on the final page listed on a thread and hoping that somewhere in there is where I was up to last time I looked at the thread, sometimes there is only one new post right at the bottom, other times I had to back up 1, 2 or even more pages to find the last post I read, I did this for many months after the change!

But I got up from my computer seat to make an iced-coffee one day (Ice cream, chocolate milk, plain milk and two spoons of coffee all mixed in the blender) and bumped my mouse so it just hovered over one of these magical little blue dots and a little explanation box came up that said "Go to first unread message."

What? :eek: That would be cool if it works! :cool2: It works! :grin: Oh, happy joy! :dance2: Do a little dance!:banana:

So now I right click my mouse on the little blue dot and open it in a new tab, I do this with 10 or so threads I am interested in going down the list, and then go through the threads reading, sometimes replying, and then closing the threads, and when I am done with them, I can open up a new batch.

Here is a pic with arrows in case you have not seen these amazing magical little blue dots!

[​IMG]

One other thing which may have escaped notice is the little boxes on the side next to the threads, they contain the profile picture of the thread starter but if you look closely at the second one down in that pic, you will see it also has a smaller box with my profile pic in it, this means I have posted on that thread too, a handy way to keep up with where you have posted in case you were waiting for a reply on a question or something.

Obviously when you do this it will have your picture, not mine... :21:

There is some very cool features on this site, it took a while to get used to it completely and I am still finding new things, but really enjoying using it!

Great work Steve!

Luke.

Kevin Kanouff likes this.
  2. roadwarrior

roadwarrior

[​IMG]
    This picture came to mind. Just pokin' at 'ya in fun. It is neat though when you find out some of the inner workings of this forum. It's a lot better than many I have tried to navigate.

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  3. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

:21:

4. Bicycle808

Bicycle808

I knew abut the "first unread" blue dot, but i only discovered it maybe a few weeks ago.... Still, an excellent time-saving tip.

LukeTheJoker likes this.