The Huffman Build you don't want to miss(Bike Show #2!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Huffman Build you don't want to miss(Best Day Ever 1-22)

Dr. Tankenstein said:
WOW! What an awesome day! The striping/signature on the chainguard is over the top! It really gives the bike a little "Speed Shop" flavor!

Cheers!
Dr. T
He is an unbelievably awesome dude. Hearing him say that the pinstriping on the guard reminded him of Dad's work(Ed Roth), was mind boggling. :mrgreen:

highwheelerboy25 said:
awesome!! loving the bars!
Yes me to. They have an awesome look when mounted on the stem. Also I'm having trouble finding the right spoke sizes. Can you check on them at your Bike shop for me and get back with me on Prices. BTW I can't use chrome spokes. It wouldn't match my rusty front wheel. Bare metal spokes would be just right!

KJV said:
Double Nickle said:
Yeah, that was two weeks ago right?
yes,sir.
I saw the dates on the back of the show shirts and the one in Cincinnati was two weeks ago. Did you end up going?

Well to day was good. I got a clear coat over the pinstriping and signature. Also I made some brackets so it is now on the frame nice and snug!

Those bars are perfect. Good score. I like the 'out and back' look of those mustache bars.
Only one problem, they need 'aged' to fit the rest of the components. Are they aluminum, i can't remember.
One more thing, what's up with the sprocket on top of the fork? Just decorative? Headset spacer? Or...... :roll:
P1220366.jpg

Talk to you soon,
Dr. T

It's just a spacer for now. I have what need to replace it. Hope it doesn't look stupid cause I might keep it on there :lol:

Double Nickle said:
It's just a spacer for now. I have what need to replace it. Hope it doesn't look stupid cause I might keep it on there :lol:

A lot of rear steering Colson tandems actually had a skip tooth cog beneath the bearing race... the set of handlebars for the rider in the back had a functional steer tube setup with another cog, and a connector chain made for steering from both riders. :wink:

A nice example...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26439

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Those bars are perfect. Good score. I like the 'out and back' look of those mustache bars.
Only one problem, they need 'aged' to fit the rest of the components. Are they aluminum, i can't remember.
One more thing, what's up with the sprocket on top of the fork? Just decorative? Headset spacer? Or...... :roll:
Talk to you soon,
Dr. T

Dude Rob, Did you get the E-mail from laura,the Editor at kickstand mag? She wants to interview us about the Auction Rat. Dang man this is great! We are on the Road to glory! :lol:

Skipton said:
DN,
Great! stuff on this build! The fork looks awesome!.....Chain Guard could not be any COOLER!
P1220355.jpg

Keep up the great work! :D
Thanks man!!!

Well today was the Best day of winter. It was 50 Degrees and sunny with a cool breeze. I had both garage doors up and enjoying the weather. So With that being said I was in the garage all day and got a lot done!!!

First I had the leaf spring welded to the fork to keep it from moving. The bolt its really the main thing to keep it attached! Also I Made a nice clean spacer to put in-place of all the washers and sprocket :lol:

P1290375.jpg

P1290374-1.jpg

I got the stem and bars Put on the fork now that all the Welding is done.

P1290376.jpg

P1290378.jpg

P1290377.jpg

Also I picked up a skip tooth chain from Memory Lane and got my Morrow BLACK-OUT coaster brake Hub in place!!!! All that is left to do is re-build my wheel and then I'm ready to roll!!!

P1290379.jpg

P1290382.jpg

P1290383.jpg

P1290384-1.jpg

Re: The Huffman Build you don't want to miss(HUGE UPDATE!!!)

thats gonna be a really nice huffman! 8) what is the reason or purpose of the spacer on the fork? if the headtube is too long, you could just thread it and cut it to size. i was just worried that mounting a bearing race on top of the spacer, might lead to future bearing failures!

texasbigjon said:
thats gonna be a really nice huffman! 8) what is the reason or purpose of the spacer on the fork? if the headtube is too long, you could just thread it and cut it to size. i was just worried that mounting a bearing race on top of the spacer, might lead to future bearing failures!

Well thanks for the Kind work Big Jon, Also I have done it before and haven't had problems but if I could find a place to make more threads I will get rid of the spacer. Also I chunked the mountain bike stem and put on a nice short cruiser stem :D (Thanks Rob)

i buy alot of girls forks for builds cause they are usually cheaper and straighter! :lol: i just take em down to my lbs and tell them "thread it down another 1-1/2" and cut off 1", etc. they only charge about $8-10,or so. :D

Latest posts

Back