The high school T(w)rek

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought the subject bike with my own lawn mowing money back in 1989 at Continental Bicycles of Raytown Missouri.

Rode the heck out of it for a few years, took it took college, then neglected it for about the past 12 years.

When I originally logged into this site a couple of years ago, I had intended to enter it into a build off, so here I am. The much neglected, and much delayed T(w)rek.

Last edited:
14129408073_79e6607002_k.jpg

Plans:
  • Convert from 18 speed to 6 speed by removal of inner and outer ring. Don't really need those extra speeds around my flat neighborhood. Eliminate front derailleur and associated cable and cable stays.
  • Remove permanent cable stays all around (possibly). I like a cleaner look, but I'm not certain about this one.
  • Remove un-needed water bottle mounts and rear rack mount. Again, cleaner look wanted.
  • New tires, cables, etc.
  • Grease. Lots of grease. Bearings are bone dry I'm certain.
  • Fill in holes and smooth ground off bits, then new paint on frame.
  • Shine up shiny stuff.
  • Replace soft bits like grips, seat.
  • Look into replacing handlebars with a CargoUnit-type rack.
  • Not certain of a theme as yet, but I think the colors will consist of white, red and black. I'm going to leave a bit of that as a mystery, both for the eventual triumphant reveal, and because I still am not certain of my colors yet.
  • SPEND LESS THAN $100! Not too worried about that one, but I'm sticking to it. I'm sure I could go way over if I wanted.
I know this bike will honestly not be in the running for any sort of top finish - it's my first build and I'm really not doing too much with it. But my main plan is to get my hands dirty, build something cool, and mostly, have fun.

First day of work, 5/4
  • Aired up tires and took a spin around the block. For having sat for more than a decade, it feels really good. Rims are true, rear derailleur works great, front - not as good. Just as I remembered, honestly.
  • Started disassembly. Got crank mostly taken apart, but need to get my hands on a removal tool. At least was able to confirm that I can take the inner and outer rings off and keep the middle for 6-speed conversion.
  • Removed seat and bottle holder.
  • Ground off rear rack stays.
  • Removed front derailleur and cable.
  • Removed wheels
14115513654_d2948aec2b_c.jpg

14115512794_9d005d6d70_c.jpg

14111875301_faf69ff6e1_c.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea for first comp, do a bike that means something to you and have a budget.
That should help keep the enthuisiasm up, reduce chance of overspending.
And taking on a job that is likely well within your ability, to reduce the stress factors.

Thanks!

Got some polishing done - will have shiny photos soon (was too dark last night). Thinking about some adaptive re-use of some garage junk, and trying to figure out how to integrate some sporting goods into the whole thing.

Next on the agenda - more grinding and smoothing. Head down to the Autozone to get some body filler for the mounting holes. Then try to borrow a crank remover tool from a LBS.

As far as ultimate appearance, sooooo many thoughts in my head...

BUT, I do have a color scheme figured out - I think. White frame, black accents, polished rims and red tires. We'll see how long that idea lasts.

As a noob in this build off, i understood its no competition but a way to inspire each other for building cool bikes! I like clean stripped bikes and i'm curious to see what you'll build! I like your color scheme!
Good luck!:)

Frank

Customize!

Every time I see this build name, I think it says High School Twerk and expect to see Miley Cyrus with a foam finger. :p

Latest posts

Back