The Hepkat * I'm back!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your pioneering use of Pearloid or 'mother of toilet seat' is a great idea that I'm glad to see. It'll be perfect on your bike, which has been one of my fave no rush evolving builds over the years.
I've had some Tortoise shell material up my sleeve for years that I intended to debut on a bike, but just never got 'round to it.
I also kind of expected Carl would be the first.

Your pioneering use of Pearloid or 'mother of toilet seat' is a great idea that I'm glad to see. It'll be perfect on your bike, which has been one of my fave no rush evolving builds over the years.
I've had some Tortoise shell material up my sleeve for years that I intended to debut on a bike, but just never got 'round to it.
I also kind of expected Carl would be the first.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm surprised Carl hasn't done this either. I love this pearloid material, I'm also using it on my dashboard to hold my gauges on my '32 Ford truck build I'm doing. Another great material is drum wrap. It's thinner and flexible. Check out this old Riviera with pearloid drum wrap.

Riv.jpg

I know, I've been a little slow on this build. It's finally cool enough to go outside and not melt, so over the weekend I started to tear down the Hepkat, fixed some minor imperfections on the tank then started the primer. Wohoo! It's finally getting there.

Roth 04.jpg

Got lots of shiny stuff. Time to get crazy!

20171126_134857-1.jpg

Last edited:
Got the blue base coat down on the tank this weekend and I'm liking the color. Now it's time for the blue metal flake. It'll be a couple weeks before I can get to the flake since I have family coming into town this week and I'll be spending the weekend with the Brian Setzer Orchestra.

tank 1_1.jpg

Thanks. Yeah, I'm surprised Carl hasn't done this either. I love this pearloid material, I'm also using it on my dashboard to hold my gauges on my '32 Ford truck build I'm doing. Another great material is drum wrap. It's thinner and flexible. Check out this old Riviera with pearloid drum wrap.

View attachment 57754
Haha! Just getting caught up on an awesome build and whoa! Ya'all talking bout' me? Well I did use black pearl pickguard stock on my Rockin' Rollfast tank. But I doubt I was the first either. It's just such an awesome material to work with. I just love the drum wrap console and THAT'S an idea I may "borrow". I've been thinking about revisiting an old bare metal build of mine. I'm wondering if I can pull off a Spectraflame teal, like the old Hot Wheels colors. Again brother this is a sweet one.

Carl.

Haha! Just getting caught up on an awesome build and whoa! Ya'all talking bout' me? Well I did use black pearl pickguard stock on my Rockin' Rollfast tank. But I doubt I was the first either. It's just such an awesome material to work with. I just love the drum wrap console and THAT'S an idea I may "borrow". I've been thinking about revisiting an old bare metal build of mine. I'm wondering if I can pull off a Spectraflame teal, like the old Hot Wheels colors. Again brother this is a sweet one.

Carl.
Yup, drum wrap is great. Buy it by the roll and you can do a lot with it. I'm always trying to find something that I can cover with pearloid pickguard or drum wrap. I love that spectraflame look. I still have many old Hot Wheels painted in that. That would be cool to see a bike painted with it.

I thought I was going to get some metal flake on the Hepkat on Sunday but the weather just wasn't cooperating. I live on the Gulf Coast and our winters average in the 50's. But, this is what I came home from work to on Friday.
Cars.jpg

Then Friday and Saturday I spent my time with the TRUE Hepkat himself, Brian Setzer. I'm getting heat in my workshop this week so I should be flakin' this weekend! Getting closer.

Setzer 1.jpg

Setzer 2.jpg

Setzer 3.jpg

Setzer 4.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pictures. I forgot my camera at home, both nights, and had to use my dumb phone. UGH!!

Perfect weather on Saturday for painting. It's about time! So I started laying down some blue metal flake on the tank. After tuning in the paint gun just right then blowing the fuse in my air compressor, which made me drive to the auto parts store to get new ones, I was off and flakin'. It took about 4 coats to get the right amount of flake I was looking for. These pictures are without the final clear coats which will smooth out the surface, so they look ruff but it won't always look like that.

Hepkat 1.jpg

Hepkat 2.jpg

This is still without the final clear coats but this is the overall look that I'm going for.

Hepkat 3.jpg

Tonight I start the final clear coats, then wet sand, then more clear coat, then the final clear with blue pearl added for a little more pop!

Last edited:
Note to self: Next time I metal flake, make sure I lay down paper on the workbench, the floor, the walls, the ceiling, me, the neighbors dog... This stuff gets everywhere! Part of my peg board for hanging my tools is now metal flake blue. Sheeesh!

Ok, I haven't forgotten this build. Computer died, have to use my phone now, I couldn't remember my password for this site and my email was a Hotmail account which this site doesn't recognize. Finally asked Steve if he could change my password. Thanks Steve!! Anyway, it's been waaaay too cold to do any painting so until It warms up I decided to start another project. But it looks like next week will be warm enough to do more painting so hopefully I'll get this bike buttoned-up in the next couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back