Thirsty Three Wheeler (formerly The Growler)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trikes are a whole other world.
I had one a few years back and the roads around here slope so much it felt like I was constantly leaning into the gutter.
Passed it on to a guy who only uses it on bike paths, so it worked for him.

Some of the Growler stores have plastic growlers jugs that you could get and make a tank out of it.

Also, double checked and it's got 24" wheels. Might be even harder to find cool color tires for that.

Duro sells a 24x2.125 style in a ton of different colors
$(KGrHqRHJ!4E9qLfmzIOBPeiKCyYE!~~60_35.JPG

My wife was kind enough last night to remind me that I had committed to building a bike for one of our friends and that I was not allowed to put aside that in order to play with my trike. Ugghh. So I managed to get her bike broken down (except for the stuck stem) and half way stripped. Luckily she wants everything painted so I don't have to worry about trying to bring back the chrome, just sand and prime.

Also took a close look at my wheel clearance and I don't think I can use the colored Duro's since they are wider than the white walls on the trike right now and I am really close to the outside of the frame on the side with the Nexus already.

Trikes gonna look sweet. Just for reference over here in England a growler is a slang term for downstairs lady parts if ya get my drift ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a pretty good parts list started, none of which are bike parts. Hopefully I can get the garage cleaned out this weekend and carve out a decent sized work space.

So many ideas flying around in my head. We bought a new house in Feb and Im busy laying a new patio so haven't had much time to actually test any of them though. I have an old Stelber women's tank frame that I picked up a while ago that I might test out on it. The rack and fender stays were shot so its probably a good use for it. Plus its a little weird since it had a two piece bottom bracket and the crank set has pressed on semi-sealed bearings. I like weird.

Also, I found a metal ribbon on it showing that it was a Newport News Shipbuilding bike in its previous life. The down tube and seat tube are one continuous bent tube with the bottom bracket welded on. More cool weirdness.

One last weird little bit is that it appears that the seat post is fixed in the tube. Theres no clamp or even a slit in the tube that would indicate that there should be one. Guess I need to make sure the geometry is going to work for me. I was hoping to put a layback post on it but guess not. I probably won't have too much time to play around with this build for a couple of weeks unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back