the "Fat Rat"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Beware ot the Fat Rat

xmas10054.jpg

xmas10052.jpg

Well Im in. got a couple home projects done, and I need to build a new bike. Heres what Im starting with, most of the parts Ive had around for awhile, except for the blue band 2 speed KB, got it at the Midwest bicycle swapmeet a few weeks ago. Most of the bikes I build for me have 2 speed KBs but are the yellow and red band, this is my first blue band , except for my Stingray back in 1965.
I believe its a Monarch frame, the fork is an unknown.
xmas10051.jpg

xmas10050.jpg

my trick parts are the blue band 2 speed and a 2 piece crank from a GT bmx bike.
xmas10049.jpg

heres what I got gathered for now.
xmas10048.jpg

But who knows things could change. The Fat Rat has no real direction.

So yer the one who snagged the blue band.... oh well.. Well.. good luck... Lookin forward to seeing what the creative mind turns out... 8)

Well Im back to building the Fat Rat. Ive built the wheels ,and a mockup.
The seat post clamp on the Monark frame was a welded on clamp that somebody had tried to remove, bending it out severely. I tried to bend it back, and it broke, so got out the grinder and grind it off.
051.jpg
066.jpg

I thought Id bend a new seat post made of 7/8 stainless solid rod, but my cheater bars failed me. I can normallly bend 5/8 and 3/4 rod with out problem, But now Ill have to get a beefier cheater bar.
For now Ill use another bent seat post Id previously made.
069.jpg

I tore down the 24 inch wheels and sanded, primed and painted banner red. Then I laced the old front hub back on and laced my blue band 2 speed kickback on the wheels (strange but true.. the spokes lenghts were the same for the front and back) trued them myself with reasonable success. Oh yea, this is going to be a 24 x 3 front and back bike, thats part of the Fat in Fat Rat.
056-1.jpg
060-1.jpg
063.jpg

I then did the mockup to see how things fit. Theres lots of room for the tries in the frame and fork, maybe an 1/8 on both sides. Then I set some fenders on it to see how it would look. I like the fenders, but headlight and taillight will take priority, so fenders may or may not happen for this build.
075.jpg

YO I PREDICT A 24X3 FRONT AND BACK SETUP WILL WIN THE BUILDOFF!! :wink: OH YEAH...MY BIKE HAS IT TOO. :mrgreen: NICE BIKE MAN. I LIKE IT. SO FROM RETRO-RAT-O TO THE FAT RAT....GET TA BUILDIN'!!

Those are some sick wheels. Are you going to mount the fat rat on the front fender??

I really like it. It definentally trumPs my build haha good luck and have fun!

I worked on the headlight this mourning, here is what I did.
Starting with a piece of urathane foam, I made my basic shape. the piece of plastic will be the lense.
002-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

I then soldiered on some pig tails on the LEDs, drilled holes in the foam for the LEDs. And soldiered the pig tails in series, these LEDs each use about 3 volts by putting them in series they will run on a 9 volt battery..Hookup the battery for a test, it worked just fine.
005-2-1.jpg

006-3.jpg

stocksucks said:
What tires are those, boa 3g's?

Nope they are Gaints. From the LBS.
008-1-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

I am really looking forward to your Rat Light!

The lights are wired, and tested. now to get the bike ready for their installation.
The Fat Rats lights are not really rats but they are real rodents.
003-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

The tailiights are mink I think, maybe a fancy ferret. Formerly a fur collar a fancy women would wear. I got it at a garage sale.
The headlights a raccoon skin, another garage sale find.

Wicked COOL!...If you don't make the cover of KICKSTAND....You just might make the cover of PETA. :lol: :lol: Absolutely over the top.

Latest posts

Back