====~THE FAIRBANK FLYER~==== * Now With *New* Engine Sound *

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ====~THE FAIRBANK FLYER~====

It was a nice dry day today, perfect day to starting the painting of the wheels.

So I began by taping off all the bits I wanted to keep free turning.I can paint in any nuts and bolts at a later stage, so as they don't look too shiny.
IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

Then started on the first coat of the textured paint.It goes on super nice and just gives a light metal rust feel to it.It really gets into all the little cracks and crevices.
IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

Then I allowed them to fully dry and then went at them with some matt black.

IMG_0788.jpg

This was what I was aiming for.Rough and old looking.An almost pitted look.

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

It got a bit dark as I was finishing up, so i'll get some better pics in the day light tomorrow.I'm quite happy with how they look.Once I get to work distressing them a bit and put some dry brushing on them.They should look fun!

I wanted to give the wheels a try first, to work out how these paints spray, before doing the frame.

More to come soon.
:D

Looks good I like the head badge idea I wish my frame had a good petina look so I didnt have to do all the paint work

big kountry said:
Looks good I like the head badge idea I wish my frame had a good petina look so I didnt have to do all the paint work

Thanks very much.Yeah, I quite like the head badge.I still think it my favourite one of the designs so far.

Another quick picture of the wheels earlier today.

Untitled-16.jpg

Peatbog said:
Nifty looking wheels. That's gonna look cool with your frame.

Thanks! They should look quite nice.

Just picked up some more paint for the rest of the parts that will also be painted with the same process and painted black.It's been raining on and off all day today, so no spraying for the minute.Going to get lightly sanding the frame real soon and getting it ready for the main colour.

Nice day again today, so I thought I would make a start painting the frame and forks! First I removed the old headbadge, it's in a bad way and has a hole through the middle :? Then I gave the frame and forks a light sand all over. I didn't want to sand off all that lovely paint flake, so kept a little bit to help with some of the texture.

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

Say goodbye to the red.A very light coat of textured paint that I picked up when I was buying the Aged Iron.This one is Autumn Brown.

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

Although the main colour will cover it up slightly, I can always use it on other parts at a later stage.

Time to lay on the grey! :)
IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

It looks great in the daylight and with the textured paint underneath it's even better.Once this is dirtied up a bit it's should look real nice.

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

More on aging the paint coming soon! :)

Peatbog said:
char said:

Aging the paint, eh? Okay, I gotta watch now.

:D Yep

char said:

I had fun last year aging my paint, but it's kinda weird to take brand new paint and mess it up, but I loved the outcome.

yoothgeye said:
char said:

I had fun last year aging my paint, but it's kinda weird to take brand new paint and mess it up, but I loved the outcome.

Yeah it's good fun.I did a simular painting technique on the Grady Rocket, my last build.I love rusty old metal, but I don't like it when it gets to the point of the rust damaging the bike. So this is a safe way to make something look like I want it to look, and keep the bike living on, if you know what I mean.

Re: ~THE FAIRBANK FLYER~

MplsCoaster said:
char said:
Mmmmmm... I just love the smell of new tyres! :D Anyone else?
Yes I do! :lol: Nice work on the texturing and paint!

:) Thanks very much

tin machine said:
nice job on that paint , cool to see all the different ideas , this was a good one :!: :!: 8)

Thank you :mrgreen:

Ok little update.I thought I would try out aging the paint on the forks.I have used the very same water colour stain paint called burnt sienna, that I used on my past build.This stuff is just brilliant. You add lots of water and it just sits on top of the paint like water beads. Once it dries, it leaves a stain.The water bleeds into any cracks.I'm using water colour, as it goes on much easier than the acrylic paint.The acrylic dries way to dark, but the water colour one is just right. Obviously this will need to be sealed with a matt varnish, which i'll pick up soon.

Here is a few pics of the process.

IMG_0871.jpg

Once it dried.I removed any colour or dark patches with a paper cloth and water until i got the look I was after.Building it up layer by layer.

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

It's perfect for sinking into all the creases, really brings out the textured paint underneath and makes the paint look like its flaking.

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

I then added some dry brushing effect on to some areas with some vermin brown and dark brown.

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

Quite please with how it turned out.The last two pics were taken in my kitchen, so not the best, but you get a rough idea.I'll get some better ones in the daylight tomorrow.

Just got to do the frame now :D

That looks amazing, I dare you to list it for sale with "New Paint Job" in the ad and close up photos and get ready for hate e-mail from people who just don't understand.

Latest posts

Back