The Diamond Frame Flying Merkel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! If you're enjoying the pics, you can imagine how much I'm enjoying the privilage of getting to ride this machine :mrgreen: Seriously though, if you're ever passing through Glencoe IL, drop me a line and I'd be happy to let ya take her for a spin.

Danreid27, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it! Almost as much fun as the build itself was documenting it, I enjoy sharing progress and writing as well. Plus (for me at least) documenting the build and getting feedback and help from the wonderful folks here really made me feel like I was part of a community, and I'll admit, working on this machine really helped me through some hiccups and hard times in the months I was working on it. A bicycle (or any hobby for that matter) is a great way to relax and spend out pent-up energy or work out hitches in life or simply provide time to think. I can remember certain events in my personal life that were going down while working on specific components of the machine, so this bicycle is on a personal level a sort of 'patch work' of my life while building it. Similarly, I scrawled a number of world events and personal thoughts on the hidden inside of the tank plates where they were glued together. I like to do this sort of thing on many of my projects (violins, steampunk projects, etc) as a sort of 'for my own amusement' touch, and a way to put a piece of myself into the project.

Alright, I'll stop rambling now :roll: But leave this post with a rare little glimpse into my violin work. Many luthiers or repair workers label their instruments with small paper strips that can be seen when looking down through one of the instrument's 'f' shaped sound holes. I like a bit of mystique, and I feel placing my own label near the maker's label (if I didn't make the instrument) is kind of pompus, so I hide mine. Here you can see (on the inside of the removed top of a violin) my paper lable, printed backward and attached to the inner top, visible only to those who know to look for it by means of lowering a small mirror down the sound hole, as well as my my signature next to one of my 'signature' inlaid repair cleats. I look at repait work as an art as well, and even though the average person will never see these touches and my cleats (which are usually small plain pieces of wood) I like knowing they are there :D Enjoy! (nothing to do with bikes I know, sorry for hijacking my own thread :roll: )

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

Latest posts

Back