The Diamond Frame Flying Merkel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a plethera of pics of my Flying Merkel tribute.

The build thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35632

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

j.jpg

k.jpg

l.jpg

A couple of action shots of me taking it for it's inaugeral 'flight'
o.jpg

p.jpg

And I had to get one in the classic 'Maldwyn Jones' pose. For those of you unfamilliar, here's the intrepid rider and his machine:
flying-merkel-rider-tm.jpg

And here's me 8)
n.jpg

Again, a huge thank you to all of you who have been following this and helping with parts, know how, and friendly conversation/criticism. I hope you enjoy the finished machine as much as I do. I'll soon be tearing up the streats of Milwaukee, where the Merkel first came to be.

That bike just drips cool. Very nice job!

If this was a build-off bike it probably would've gotten one of my three votes! This thing turned out NICE! 8)

Question though... Maybe it's because you just use what you have (like I always do ;-) but why did you use a 26" sized bike? I think a 28" would be far more comfortable, ...I think. I followed your build from start to finish and it didn't occur to me that these weren't 28" tires.

Nevertheless:
WELL DONE!

Well Mr. Rudolf, you seem to have answered your own question quite succinctly. :mrgreen:
In my experience, the majority (notice I didn't say all) of 28" bikes you find easily in the US are pricey fat tire 700c bikes, and the rest are mostly antique, often British or European collectibles that are actually worth keeping as is. Tire style/colors are pretty limited for both types.

deorman said:
Well Mr. Rudolf, you seem to have answered your own question quite succinctly. :mrgreen:
In my experience, the majority (notice I didn't say all) of 28" bikes you find easily in the US are pricey fat tire 700c bikes, and the rest are mostly antique, often British or European collectibles that are actually worth keeping as is. Tire style/colors are pretty limited for both types.

Ah....
That explains why I see so many Amercans riding around on childrensbikes... :mrgreen:

But... I can't say I'm feeling sorry for you yanks. I'd trade bikes in a second... :?
Holland/Europe is crammed full with boring 28" (or 622) diamondframe bicycles. It's the standard over here. But with the retro-trends of the last couple of years the tire-companies keep adding cool 28" tires. Take Schwalbe for instance. I think they have all the options you ever wanted to build a cool bike. Whitewalls in a lot of sizes. 28" Fat Franks come in black, creme, and even brown! Or check out their Big Apple tires. They're even bigger than Fat Franks...
Don't hold your breath while waiting for flat surfaced dragslicks though...

And for now, lets just look at this beautiful Flying Merkel again...
Oh, and I like the gears and the derailleur being kept on this bike. Those really beef up the backwheel.
8)

Looks GREAT :shock: Comfortable too :lol: :lol: You really captured the look :D I can't believe it was once a regular old diamond frame :eek:

Haha you guys crack me up reading this :)

Thanks for all the kind words, I'm glad folks are enjoying it. I create (unless I'm on a comission) largely for myself, but it's always very gratifying to know others like what I'm doing too :D

A 28 incher would have fit me better for certain, in case you havn't noticed I'm no teeney guy :roll: But yes, I was using what I had. I wanted to give my campus racer some new mojo, and make a machine I'd be (more) proud to be seen out riding.

I also wanted to help give a little push start to more diamond frame builds, and hopefully show what can be done with one and a little creativity. I know a lot of guys like myself stumble on diamond frames waaaay more than canti or double bar cruiser frames, and it seems like more often than not these wind up becoming parts bikes or discarded. I know there are guys out here with gobs more skill and talent in their little finger than I have in my whole body, and I'm betting they could do some off the hook things with diamond frames (I've seen them before here too!)

I hope to encourage the 'no weld' crowd as well. This bike was made with no frame alterations, no cutting, grinding, welding, what have you. The only different tools I employeed were a bandsaw and a disc sander (for the tank), both of which could be replaced with a hand saw and files/sandpaper. Welding opens up a ton of doors in bike customizing, but you don't necessarily need one to make something awesome :mrgreen:

Use what ya got, follow your heart, love what ya build :D

Thanks guys!

Skipton, I'll have to bring it to a Chicago ride, it would be cool to get some pics of it along side your awessome 'Blue X'! We could even bust out the goggles and take some sepia tones for some olde-timey boardtrack-inspired shots 8)

Mark, I still owe ya a fork. I'll give you a call sometime

I meant to post these in a row, because it still boggles me how this turned out. Sorry to gush, I'm just really happy with this machine!

Before:
IMG_1900.jpg

Concept:
Flymerk_2.jpg

After:
f.jpg

Looking back, sometime I'd love to put a drop stand on it, I have an idea how to make it mesh with the deraliur :idea: And I might make a new bracket so I can install the kersoene bike lamp I converted to LED. I plan to put a light on it, I ride after dark sometimes, I'm just debating how I want to go about it without making a light look out of place.

DM613 said:
I am are new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself .. I decided to enroll after a while 'I was reading

the forum and all the good advice ..approaching the summer and I decided to get back a bit 'in the form .. I

do sports (tennis and running) and I always tend to control what I eat, with ups and downs! I then discuss

some interesting 'tricks and tips for proper nutrition ..I guess we will be fine!Good afternoon everyone!

Hello Foreign Spambot! We am are happiness about your tennis health. Now go back return to your health fitness and leave us bike builders and appreciates alone solitaries.

Health tennis nutrition is not bike customizers.

Seriously man (or robot) this ain't cool. We are a group of retro-bike fanatics, not health nuts. This site is more about finding, building, welding grinding painting and having a good time with like minded peoples. Pedal your thinly disguised wears elsewhere.

Haha apparently I missed a spambot attack? Thanks for fending it off guys :D

Dash- I love the work you do, I'd love to pick up a frame set up from you sometime!

I've gotten a few chances to ride this machine to campus, Wisconsin weather has been a mean mix of too cold/rain/high wind lately, but I've taken gotten in 4 runs since completion. Man does it ride nice! I'm currently playing with the seat height/bar height some to get things just right, this saddle sits further back than the old Brooks I had on it, and the new stem/flipped bars are different too.

Happily, no one has bothered it on campus in the bike racks (I was a little worried). However on the first day I rode it in, I had a bit of a suprise. I was walking out of the building to the racks where I parked her and there were two photography students who had moved the bike out of the rack some (I had it cable locked in) and were taking pics of it as well as posing with it. I watched with amusement for a while, and let them since they weren't hurting anything and I was glad they were enjoying it. I finally came out and they spooked like deer until I reassured them it was okay :lol: Got to talk about the bicycle and this site some, so it was all good. I'll have to keep an eye out, maybe it will be showign up in some local photography project! :lol: :roll:

Latest posts

Back