* THE BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(DONE!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *BIG DADDY BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(minor name change)

Double Nickle said:
you know your from Georgia when your paint booth consists of two latters and a wooden stick
and when you spell "ladders" "latters" :lol:

The paint looks great. As I've said before I'm a sucker for themed bikes. Anxious to see this one finished.

Re: *BIG DADDY BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(Is Painted)

haha frame looks good. now it just needs some sweet panels. :wink:

Tried out my tanks on the frame..
100_3226.jpg

Build Update
This is an idler sprocket that I custom built from a couple of old hubs i had laying around. the two sprocket are welded to the hub so they will turn together. The hub will free spin on the axle. this will be mounted on the frame under my seat. This will connect my rear sprocket to the bottom bracket by two chains. the crank will turn one sprocket on the hub which turns the other, turning the rear wheel by chain. I have no better way of explain this other than showing the picture of the "Mad Hammer" build by Monstermetal in Build Off 3 (winner).
100_3229.jpg

100_3230.jpg

100_3231.jpg

2816152914_b0bde8acb9.jpg

Re: *BIG DADDY BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(New Kustom Part Built)

yea its awesome...hopefully mine will turn out that good

A beast it will be... I am going to have to run my sprocket on the other side of the bike to pull it off, that will be a first.

meh thats common ground for me. :lol: just make sure that the nut thing holding the sprocket on is super tight.

just a small parts update. I screwed my Schwinn head badge on my frame today and it looks great. Also I stripped all the paint off my Monark forks and clear coated them. I also I did the same thing to a pair of forks that i already had but the tube was cut to short for my head tube. so I plan on buying a set of re-pop Monarks to connect to the springer, I will do the same stripping and clear coating on them to.
100_3232.jpg

100_3234.jpg

100_3235.jpg

Re: *BIG DADDY BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(Parts Update-May 18)

I found a New Departure Model A hub and i plan to try to save it :roll: If i can it will find a place in a 24inch real wheel i just bought for my thick brick tire...
20100519ND_A_Prelude001.jpg

20100519ND_A_Prelude002.jpg

20100405_Easter006.jpg

100_3237.jpg

Re: *BIG DADDY BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(Parts Update-May 19)

i cant wait to c more pic :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

I also I did the same thing to a pair of forks that i already had but the tube was cut to short for my head tube. so I plan on buying a set of re-pop Monarks to connect to the springer, I will do the same stripping and clear coating on them to.

100_3234.jpg

100_3235.jpg

NEW IDEA

When i posted this i was really mad at the thought of not being able to use my forks i worked so hard on....after i cooled down i thought about maybe welding a piece of metal into the tube to make it longer I know it can be done because I have seen it before...any thoughts :?: :?

Re: *BIG DADDY BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(Forks update)

Cut the short steer tube in the middle and weld in a chunk from a donor steer tube to gain the length you need. Just find a piece of pipe that just fits inside the steer tube to keep it aligned and strengthen the splice. Remember your stem needs to fit in there too so keep the splice as low as possible.

just curious how much too short? (the forks)

looks like you have some room to play with on the head tube.

remove the bearing cups, and you can probably remove 5/8" from the top and 3/8" from the bottom.
gives you an inch to play with. (just be sure ya don't cut the bottom too short or the frame will prevent the bearing cup from sitting flush/level)

icyuod2 said:
just curious how much too short? (the forks)

looks like you have some room to play with on the head tube.

remove the bearing cups, and you can probably remove 5/8" from the top and 3/8" from the bottom.
gives you an inch to play with. (just be sure ya don't cut the bottom too short or the frame will prevent the bearing cup from sitting flush/level)

I guess I could have mentioned that too since that is what I did to the King.

udallcustombikes said:
Cut the short steer tube in the middle and weld in a chunk from a donor steer tube to gain the length you need. Just find a piece of pipe that just fits inside the steer tube to keep it aligned and strengthen the splice. Remember your stem needs to fit in there too so keep the splice as low as possible.

Yea i already have the piece of 1/2 inch (ID) steel pipe that will go inside the steer tube. The steer tube will be welded to the pipe therefor extending the steer tube 1 inch after being cut in the middle and moved up....it will still leave room for the stem.

sound good :?: :?: :?:

Latest posts

Back