*** The Arrogant .......*** Theme Change Page 6

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *** The Shelby*** Finally scored my Fork!

bike2112 said:
Dude, that is a killer paint job you laid down on that fork. That is a killer fork also.

Thanks man. I am not sure if I like the shade that I bought though. I expected it to look more metallic, it looks really flat. I'll see whether or not I keep it after clear coat and wet sanding.

*** The Shelby*** Tire Wheel update/MOCKUP 7-10-12

As I mentioned earlier, I ordered some Tires from Trek. I thought I had ordered them to the shop, and I would have to pick them up. Well, turns out, they were shipped to my front door! No shipping??

So... I mounted them up on some black wheels and man do I love them! I was thinking of painting a chrome wheel set that I have lying around, (just the hoops) in gloss black. But after seeing these mounted up the way they are, I am beginning to change my mind. What do you guys think?
IMAG1621.jpg

I rode them around on my roadmaster to check them out, I was surprised by how much faster I felt I was going, when I returned home after class I mocked them up on my frame, and, I mocked up my springer. I am not happy at all with the front spring on my fork, I am thinking of replacing it with a new generic springer fork spring.

I also got my seat and sissy bar hight dialed in, here are some picks of my newest mock up.
(IF THERE WAS A SUB-BUILD OFF FOR WORST PICTURES TAKEN, I would be the CHAMP!)
Sorry the pics are so bad, my phones battery was low so the flash would not turn on.
IMAG1641.jpg

IMAG1636.jpg

IMAG1635.jpg

Also, all I really have left on my forks are the truss rods, I took them out of their vinegar bath just for these shots.

Re: *** The Shelby*** TIRES!!! 7-10-12

Peatbog said:
The way the seat follows the downward curve of the frame and then curves back up over the tire is really cool. It's smooth.

Kind of Yin & Yang like.

BunnyYinYang2.jpg

Redline Hanks on black rims are only for the COOLEST people. 8)
Mine are on gloss black rims if you want to see the difference.
I like the way yours look and I like the way the build is looking.
What's wrong with your old spring? Is it cosmetic or does it feel too soft? A lot of these old springers were built for 80# boys. I replaced my beehive spring with a new spring from a generic springer and it works great now. Before it would bottom out too much.

kingfish254 said:
Redline Hanks on black rims are only for the COOLEST people. 8)
Mine are on gloss black rims if you want to see the difference.
I like the way yours look and I like the way the build is looking.
What's wrong with your old spring? Is it cosmetic or does it feel too soft? A lot of these old springers were built for 80# boys. I replaced my beehive spring with a new spring from a generic springer and it works great now. Before it would bottom out too much.

I really like your setup ma,n What I meant was just a Gloss black hoop but chrome spokes and hubs.
As far as the spring, it's a bit of both, it's really pitted but also pretty soft. I can compress it in my hand a little to easily using only my thumb and index/middle fingers.

Peatbog said:
The way the seat follows the downward curve of the frame and then curves back up over the tire is really cool. It's smooth.
Thanks man!

Re: *** The Shelby*** Accessories 7/16

Got Some goodies in the mail today!
I am still not sure what head I am going with, I really like them both, We'll see.
I found this mini beer keg and Fresh N' Easy for a couple of bucks! The cool thing is that it opens at both ends and it it pretty thick. I'm going to line the inside with some soft material and keep my tools, tubes and chain in their. I'm planning on painting it up and mounting it behind my seat or sissy bar.
I am at a bit of a stand still right now, I am waiting for my hoops to finish curing, I painted them gloss black. Rustoleum is tough when it cures, but MAANNN does it take forever to cure.

IMAG1646.jpg

Sweet goodies!!!!
Either head is cool, but I just dig the Elvis one more!!!!

kingfish is right about swapping out the shelby spring for an aftermarket one. i used the same springer last year,as did petrohead, and we both did the spring swap.the newer ones are made with much thicker steel,and will instantly firm that baby up.

texasbigjon said:
kingfish is right about swapping out the shelby spring for an aftermarket one. i used the same springer last year,as did petrohead, and we both did the spring swap.the newer ones are made with much thicker steel,and will instantly firm that baby up.

Yeah, I already ordered one from my LBS, 7$. I also stopped by at my buddies work today, I was fishing around in parts bin to look for a new inner spring. Maybe one that is longer to stiffin up the ride even more. I am a big guy at 220, just want it to ride as it would for someone who was 150 :lol:

STILL waiting for my rims to cure!

Also, I won't be leaving the keg bare, I'm throwing around some paint ideas.

Looking sharp.
I didn't realize the size of these little guys.

Re: *** The Arrogant beep*** Theme Change Page 6

****RAT ROD BUILD-OFF MEMBERS***

This build has shifted MANY TIMES for me. I kept on find new inspiration every time I went somewhere, or every time I saw an old pick up truck drive by on the freeway.

My new direction on this build started when I was looking at the color scheme that I was working with, I didn't mind the bare metal, I did find it a little bland though, like, REALLY bland. What I did mind, and not that I thought it looked bad, was the Red that I was using, I just didn't like how much I was going to use. ALSO, I'm a fat guy, 5'9'' 220, that much red, and high key bare metal is just too hard to pull off when your that big :lol:

I bought some Sculpt Nouveau Patina to use on my Worksman on an another build, but the more I thought about it, the more I decided that despite my reservations, I would use it on my build off bike. I already have a Shelby Springer, and tires like the B.O Bike from last year, the last thing I wanted was to have a similar patina. :oops: To try and change this, I might be switching the tires, or the springer out. I'll see when the time comes.

Well, back to my build, I was channel surfing the other day and I turned onto a channel that was playing Jeepers Creepers, And when I saw the old Chevy Truck romping down the road after the main characters, a light went off in my head :shock: I said screw it! I'm using the patina, I wanted to loosely base my build bike off of this truck!
i005326.jpg

jeepers-creepers.jpg

The following day I was enjoying a nice cold Arrogant ....... at the Stone Brewery that opened up literally 4 blocks away from my house. As I looked at my bottle I realized that it matched my frame and tires in color! Brown red, copper(the cap) and awesome. Another light went off, what if I made a beer delivery bike :shock: I just pictured a low mean trike with a old wooden crate where the basket should be full of pint sized beer bottles.

arrogant_bastard_ale_oaked_six_pack_rectangular_sticker__81731.jpg

The search for a trike rear end started immediately!

When I decided to use the Patina on my bike, I had not thought of making a trike yet, so i got to work on getting the frame to a shade that I liked. I heated some spots, like where the water would most likely collect, and then sprayed the stuff on there. The rest of the bike I patina'd cold. I LOVE the way it came out. All the brazing is still showing <3
IMAG1688.jpg

IMG_20120725_194553.jpg

...So, the search for the trike continued until today, It had been a few days since I had started rusting my frame.

Another plus is that I can still use either of my shifter knob heads. :D

This is what I have in mind for replacing the basket.
FPCR39SGS3BE1FAMEDIUM.jpg

FQZLR2XGS3BE1F1LARGE.jpg

I managed to get my forks done, well almost, I have to clear coat the main bracket tomorrow, and bolt on my Zombie Elvis! Play around a bit with the hardware, and snug everything down. I should be able to mount it up to the frame tomorrow(Which I have already also coated) My plan is to have the wheels laced up tomorrow as well, but we shall see how that goes...
I mocked up my fork with the mexican Revolutionary and Elvis, I really like how the mexican guy fills out the space, but for some reason this Elvis completely won me over, it's too cool!

I just might have to get myself one of those Elvis skulls!!

Latest posts

Back