The anti-klunk? (Show us your urban bombers!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like this thread. Seems the urban bomber would be a mountain bike with street friendly tires, cargo capacity and lights for night moves. it should also be moderately priced to discourage thieves.
You don't want to load a ti or carbon bike on the rack at the front of the bus. they will not allow this bike on the front
of a bus as long as it has a motor.
uv12-09-1.jpg

This is my Street Rod as my LBS guy calls them. DiamondBack Topanga Comp with light wt butted alum tube ,Hutchenson Python 430 gram tires that roll on the path
like slicks. I have about 18k commuting miles on this one. I also ditched the susp fork for a new rigid.The comp. are LX with Sram 970 rear gear.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's mine
2a67a611.jpg

I guess I should expand. It began it's life as a Schwinn Frontier. It sat in my mom's garage after my dad passed away so I took it off her hands. The tires were shot so first I put some balloons on. It didn't look right and felt like I was driving through mud so I put some slicks on. Changed out the handle bars twice and had to do new brake cables. I've never worked on bikes in my life and the only thing I am handy at is fixing computers or the occasional guitar or banjo. I am learning a whole lot with this project and having lots of fun. I hate the color though.

MadMax '58 said:
Beach Krusiered another MTB....My Daughter liked mine so much, she asked me to put one together for her....
We're calling this one the "Budget BeachKruiser"
I took two junked girls MTBs....A Raleigh and a Magna and built her this....

The Raleigh came with the under the bars ratchet shifters and since Lori is a lefty, I had to
make her bike shift on the left side....The Raleigh had nice Shimano wheels too....Rolls smooth...... :D :D
29.jpg

NICE! I am thinking a pair of purple and blue tires would make em pop even more! They look great just the way they are though.

expjawa said:
This is how a Jawa can be easily amused...

Klunkers are typically old cruiser frames with knobby tires and other MTB adaptations, right? Well, in trying for a lower-rolling resistance tire on my mountain bike for when I ride it on local stone dust paths, I've done the inverse.

Photo05051354.jpg

I used a set of Schwinn Typhoon cord repops I had. The smooth tread definately rolls easier, and the rounder tread cross section makes for a narrower contact too. Plus, the white walls actually look pretty cool on the white rims against the olive paint.

so cool! ... its definitive , i will run baloon white walls on my MB next summer .. they will end up muddy brown at the end of the season , but who cares :mrgreen:

ilikebikes said:
Nice bike ! but i would chopp the seat post a little just to be safe for the suspension reservoir :roll:

OneHorsePower said:
expjawa said:
This is how a Jawa can be easily amused...

Klunkers are typically old cruiser frames with knobby tires and other MTB adaptations, right? Well, in trying for a lower-rolling resistance tire on my mountain bike for when I ride it on local stone dust paths, I've done the inverse.

Photo05051354.jpg

I used a set of Schwinn Typhoon cord repops I had. The smooth tread definately rolls easier, and the rounder tread cross section makes for a narrower contact too. Plus, the white walls actually look pretty cool on the white rims against the olive paint.

so cool! ... its definitive , i will run baloon white walls on my MB next summer .. they will end up muddy brown at the end of the season , but who cares :mrgreen:

I think I'm going to stick those Typhoon Cords on my Surly LHT just fun, since the MTB has knobbies on it again...

OneHorsePower said:
ilikebikes said:
Nice bike ! but i would chopp the seat post a little just to be safe for the suspension reservoir :roll:

Thanks man! :D I know its been done but I'm not to keen on cutting carbon. Not to mention its been that way for many years with no problems. (knocks on wood) :wink:

This is my new MTB build. Definitely qualifies for a bomber. Lockout fork, 1x9 gearset, road cassete and derailleur. I havent taken pics since i put the slicks on it yet. It was a frame-up build
428428_10151845596765244_177901843_n.jpg

Back to basics, a couple of mine. Raleigh Technium City Lite, one of my Fave's, Drum Rear Brake
DSCN1661.jpg

My New Girl Friends Bike. Found it in the recycle bin ready for crushing. Added a Saddle and Wheels and Tires.
The Blue Goose

DSCN1663.jpg

And my Specialized I bought new around 95' or so

DSCN1662.jpg

Here's my daily driver. It's an `89 Trek 830 Antelope I picked up at a Goodwill for $15. New tires, tubes, saddle, pedals, bars, stem, stem adapter, cables, brake levers, brake pads, so on, and so on, and so on... Also, converted to 1 x 7 by removing front derailleur and hi/lo chain-wheels.
2013-02-02172507_zps748979e0.jpg

2013-02-02172441_zpsb4d6f98e.jpg

Also, made a triangle bag for carrying tools, tube, and cell phone out of duct tape:
2013-02-05_124959_zps5957c93a.jpg

ilikebikes said:
OneHorsePower said:
ilikebikes said:

Thanks man! :D I know its been done but I'm not to keen on cutting carbon. Not to mention its been that way for many years with no problems. (knocks on wood) :wink:
Wrap the cut area with electrical tape, use a fine saw(hack saw) and cutt easy, in other words don't press down hard, let the teath cutt.
Wanna sell the fork?

Latest posts

Back