The "Algonquin" (short video added)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The "Algonquin"

Id ride it anyway. No cops going to notice its to big from a distance.

This build is slowly coming together. Instead of cutting the fork threads down, I used some 1" rings as washers. I like how they kinda match the spring.
IMAG0571.jpg

IMAG0570.jpg

I cleaned all of the nasty grease out of the motor. It looks like they lubed it with used wheel bearing grease... very nasty stuff.
I re-greased everything with synthetic grease. All of the bolts have been replaced, and I lapped the head and jug while I had it apart. I still need to port match the exhaust pipe. I ordered a manic mechanic billet intake to replace the stock intake. I finished the fins on the head, and after re-assembling, I didn't like the black on the covers. It reminded me of a black & decker hedge trimmer... I painted the covers with the stainless appliance epoxy, and I'm a lot happier with the way it looks now.
IMAG0559-1.jpg

IMAG0558-1.jpg

I picked up a springer seat at the Ann Arbor show. After a little sanding and shoe polish, I got the color that I wanted.
The gas tank will be a 1 quart paint can. I bought some brass garden hose fittings for the cap, but I need to replace the fuel valve with a better quality one. I cut some old Mongoose handlebars to make a lay back seatpost, but it sits too high and looks
a little clunker(ish) to me. I've got another post getting welded up to drop the seat much lower and farther back while still clearing the gas tank.
IMAG0557-1.jpg

IMAG0546-1.jpg

IMAG0554.jpg

I also ordered a manic mechanic 40 tooth rear sprocket and hub adapter to replace the kit sprocket and rag joint. Once I get the new sprocket installed, I can work on motor placement and chain alignment. The cranks don't clear the motor so I need to find some wide 1 piece cranks, or go with a 3 piece setup with a wide bottom bracket. I want to find an ATV thumb throttle too.

Tom

+1 for dh I like the grey/brown very smooth........

Lugisland said:
The engine is a 66cc Grubee Skyhawk GT 5 Super Rat. It's rated at 3hp. The drive sprocket has 10 teeth.

From the Michigan Secretary of State website:
"Unlike motorcycles, mopeds don't require insurance, a title, or license plate. "
Under Michigan law, a moped:

Has an engine that produces 2 horsepower or less,(STRIKE1!) and is 50 cubic centimeters in size or less;(STRIKE 2!)
Must not be able to travel faster than 30 miles an hour on a level surface;(STRIKE 3!) and,
Doesn't require the operator to shift gears.

Nope, not legal... :mrgreen:

Here's a picture of the motor with the fins sanded.

IMAG0511.jpg
Since you plan to be going over 30mph, do you forsee any issues with the standard bicycle bearings withstanding those speeds?

ozzmonaut said:
Lugisland said:
The engine is a 66cc Grubee Skyhawk GT 5 Super Rat. It's rated at 3hp. The drive sprocket has 10 teeth.

From the Michigan Secretary of State website:
"Unlike motorcycles, mopeds don't require insurance, a title, or license plate. "
Under Michigan law, a moped:

Has an engine that produces 2 horsepower or less,(STRIKE1!) and is 50 cubic centimeters in size or less;(STRIKE 2!)
Must not be able to travel faster than 30 miles an hour on a level surface;(STRIKE 3!) and,
Doesn't require the operator to shift gears.

Nope, not legal... :mrgreen:

Here's a picture of the motor with the fins sanded.

IMAG0511.jpg
Since you plan to be going over 30mph, do you forsee any issues with the standard bicycle bearings withstanding those speeds?
As much issues as the first ever motorcycles?? :lol:

Hate to say.... getting this past 30 MPH may be harder than you think, I have every bell an whistle on mine and 30 is a challenge...

Your also going to need to add more braking power to your bike, the coaster brakes will heat up and fail when starting and stoping at high speeds. Also worried about your paint can gas tank.

Everything else looks pretty kick ...!

tvc15 said:
Hate to say.... getting this past 30 MPH may be harder than you think, I have every bell an whistle on mine and 30 is a challenge...

Your also going to need to add more braking power to your bike, the coaster brakes will heat up and fail when starting and stoping at high speeds. Also worried about your paint can gas tank.

Everything else looks pretty kick butt!
He was planning on running coasters with that :shock:

I cleaned the nasty "new" grease out of the hubs, and repacked them with synthetic wheel bearing grease. I think they'll be fine.

stocksucks said:
Lookin good.
So you'll have 10t on the front and 40t on the rear?
Keep rollin'
Yup, 10t and 40t. I've read that the 40t gives you good low end torque and a higher top end.
tvc15 said:

Everything else looks pretty kick butt!
I'm hoping that it will run 30+ mph, but if it doesn't that's ok too. I think it's gonna be fun regardless :D
The springer fork has a linear pull Shimano (V) brake with Aztec pads. My experience with V brakes and these
pads should be sufficient enough to flip me over the bars if squeezed hard enough :lol: if not, I can add a calliper
brake to the rear. I've had a few friends make some colorful comments about the paint can gas tank already, and I
need to rethink this. My brother offered to help me weld up a tank for the bike so I'm going to mock something
up with cardboard, and see what he thinks. I'd like to keep it behind the seat, but If I do decide to run a tank on the top tubes, I want it to be below them.

Here is a picture of the Pirate cycles 40t sprocket with the manic mechanic hub adapter
IMAG0600.jpg

Here is the seat post my brother welded up for me. Tom
IMAG0613.jpg

IMAG0601.jpg

I got the bike started today. I am having a hard time getting it to idle, but it pulls pretty hard when you get on the gas. It's going to be difficult not to open her up during the break in period... :D After bringing it back into the garage, I was looking at the front end, and the forks (used) seem to be a little bent to one side. I would've liked to have bought new forks, but the price was right on these. It doesn't seem to affect the ride at low speed, but I hope I can get them back into shape. I want to swap out the front sprocket with a smaller one because it's tuff to get it going with the shorty cranks. I also swapped out the bars with some flipped schwinn middleweight bars to give it more of a board tracker look. Tom

Hey man, I love your build! its coming along beautifully, im getting ready to do one of my own her soon too.
but i saw you were looking at different ideas for some gas tanks so i shopped (poorly in like 5 minutes) a lovely little number that turns out to be "easy" to fab. Now I KNOW it looks freakin ridiculous, its the most horrible shopping ive ever done and for its existence i am ashamed, but i thought id just give a rough mockup and everyone the idea of what a gastank could look like on this baby. Square bodied boardtracker tanks are fairly easy build, especially if a fellah had like a welder for a brother or something... :idea:

TheAlgonquintank.jpg

Thats gonna be the stuff im gonna run on my bike once i get her to the point :mrgreen: . Anywho, you did great work (I reeeeally dig that engine) there's a lot of different ways that you could take this thing with a gas tank. Whatever you do keep having fun with the build she looks great!

Thank you for the nice compliment SectionEightLife! I actually had a tank just like that mocked up out of cardboard! I was considering the boardtrack type tank, but like I said earlier, I wanted something below the top tubes. I like the feel of the flipped bars too. Okay, so I finally got it running good enough to take it for a ride. I figured that 25 to maybe 30mph would be cool for the bike, so I guess that I kinda had low expectations. I know about the break in period... I know that I'm supposed to drive it like a Grandma for the first tank... but... I headed down the road at a slow pace to make sure that I didn't have any chain line or braking issues, and gradually opened her up. Okay, it pulls pretty good. It pulls really good! Gosh!, this thing is pretty fast. All I can say is HOLY POOP! This thing flat out screams! As I pulled back up my driveway, my neighbor pulled in behind me. Neighbor: "You are one crazy SOB! You were going 41MPH!" I still need to work out some carburetor issues because it seems to bog out after slowing down from a long run like it's loading up. The CNS racing carbs are known to have issues with vacuum leaks and being very hard to tune. I'll keep at it for a while to see if I can figure it out, but if not I think I'm going to go with a Delorto carb. I also made a temporary tank out of PVC until I can get a steel or aluminum one welded up. After much research, I've found that many people have used PVC tanks without any issues. Here are some pictures of the bike with the kit supplied tank that I used for the first run, and the new PVC tank painted up and mounted. Here is a video of it running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UghTWHkaCFM
Oh yea, I finally got my shop cleaned up, and added the new countertop to the back wall. Detroit Thunderdrome here I come! Tom
IMAG0687.jpg

IMAG0681.jpg

IMAG0704.jpg

IMAG0710.jpg

IMAG0708.jpg

IMAG0707.jpg

IMAG0706.jpg

Wow, you were able to get that up to 41 mph on just a 40 tooth? I think I really underestimated the power of these Super Rats :shock: I've heard stories of these things reaching into the 40s and near 50s without much modification at all but was typically a little sketchy on just how much is "a little modification". I have one of these prepped and ready for a '77 metrocycle (which is just a F. R. A. M. E.) and a 36 tooth sprocket on iddy biddy cute roll resistant 26"ers - plus boost tubes, custom expansion chambers, tweaked carb, better intake, nitrous, ect... I'm intrigued to see how this illegitimate planning is going to work out 8)

In the meanwhile I got this grubee standard getting ready for her swap into a 36 tooth sprocket. she only pulls about 28 mph while maxing out her rpms on a 44 tooth, so it may be revealing to see what my other pride and joy is going to do when I try it out.

july4th2011009.jpg

july4th2011004.jpg

I payed close attention to your build while working on thisn' - And yes, the handlebars down always work nicely. Shes fun, not done yet, but fun. However, If there's any one thing that I can suggest to you or anyone else wanting to do this to do: go down to Tractor Supply and pick up a simple 10 foot o' Number 41 Chain. That will solve a ton of problems that you may have or run into with the chain/sprocket. I ended up having to use it for both chains on the lil' hooligan up above.
That's right Ladies and Gents, I was able to fit Number 41 Chain on BOTH sides of a Quick Brick tire :mrgreen:

But I love the build bud, love the bike, keep us posted on any new changes you make!

Latest posts

Back