The "Algonquin" (short video added)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a new build I'm calling the "Algonquin". It will be motored bike powered by a Grubee Super Rat. I'm starting out with a Wards Hawthorne twin top tube frame (can anyone date this frame?), Schwinn style springer with brakes, and some Brown Fat Franks. I mounted the Franks on a new set of heavy duty 12ga spoked wheels. I won't be using the kit supplied tank because... well I think they're ugly. I've got a couple of different tank ideas I've been kicking around, but I haven't decided which one yet. So far, I've gathered up most of the parts, and decided on colors: Chrysler 300c Cool Vanilla for the frame, and Cummins diesel engine beige for the motor and some of the small parts. The frame is brazed so I'm making some gussets to strengthen it up near the headtube, seattube, and rear dropouts. I found a local tig welder who does nice work for cheap to weld them in. Here are some pictures. Tom

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

Re: The "Algonquin"

Lookin' good 8) I really like where this is going :mrgreen:

lovin the way those brown fat franks are going beside the patina red!
cant wait to see more...

I decided that I didn't like the way the headtube gusset looked so I made another one that I like much better. The seat tube and stays are held together with a plate and gusset. I sandblasted everything and had it welded up today. The welds look good except for a few spots where it popped from some specs of Aluminum oxide (from sandblasting). I'll do some grinding and a little cleanup with bondo before primer and paint. I added the sprocket to the rear wheel after a little redneck machining to make the hole bigger to fit over the coaster hub. I still need to center it on the rim which isn't going to be easy... These kits are a good start, but it is definitely going to be a challenge to set this bike up. I'm replacing most of the hardware on the motor with hardened allen head bolts, and I need to buy an offset intake so I can get an air cleaner on the carb. I'm going to hold off on the paint until I first get it all mocked up and running. Here are some more pictures of my progress. :D Tom

IMAG0336.jpg

IMAG0330.jpg

IMAG0344.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0357.jpg

IMAG0360.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0375.jpg

Okay, I've spent a lot of time staring at this thing. First of all, I'm making a color change. The motor will be Chrysler HEMI Orange with black satin covers, and the frame is getting clear coat. I've fallen in love with the raw frame. The exhaust is painted VHT header white with an orange guard. I had to punch some holes somewhere! I couldn't resist! I'm going to have motor chain line issues trying to get around these fat franks. I've still got a little room near the rear chainstay, so I need to add another "rag/rubber spacer" behind the drive sprocket on the rear wheel. Hopefully I won't need to move the motor over to match up. I've replaced most of the screws with allen bolts, and I'm starting to paint the motor. I'm going to clean up the surface where the head and jug meet because these motors are notorious for blowing head gaskets. I'll be looking for a seat, grips and some other parts next week at the Ann Arbor bike show. Here are some pictures. Tom

IMAG0428.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

IMAG0473.jpg

IMAG0468.jpg

IMAG0469.jpg

Lugisland said:
The exhaust is painted VHT header white with an orange guard. I had to punch some holes somewhere! I couldn't resist!

Lookin' real good Tom! I'm glad yer putting those knockout punches to good use and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next. 8)

Nice! love the raw frame look and the goldtone sprocket hardware.

nice! love the orange but mabye you should tone it down by painting the ribs of the block black for a orange/black :?:

Are they legal im mi?

The engine is a 66cc Grubee Skyhawk GT 5 Super Rat. It's rated at 3hp. The drive sprocket has 10 teeth.

From the Michigan Secretary of State website:
"Unlike motorcycles, mopeds don't require insurance, a title, or license plate. "
Under Michigan law, a moped:

Has an engine that produces 2 horsepower or less,(STRIKE1!) and is 50 cubic centimeters in size or less;(STRIKE 2!)
Must not be able to travel faster than 30 miles an hour on a level surface;(STRIKE 3!) and,
Doesn't require the operator to shift gears.

Nope, not legal... :mrgreen:

Here's a picture of the motor with the fins sanded.

IMAG0511.jpg

Latest posts

Back