*The 76er* (I. Think. I'm. Done. update: 7/29)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *The 76er* (the fumes are back! update: 5/12)

There is a member here that can make you a headbadge. I bought one last year that he made from a drawing I sent him and it turned out great. Every time I took the bike out people were always asking "what kind of bike is that" and of course I would answer "its a prototype of 60's company that only got to build this bike and then they went broke" and only after I seen there face in shock I would tell them the truth.

axsepul said:
There is a member here that can make you a headbadge. I bought one last year that he made from a drawing I sent him and it turned out great. Every time I took the bike out people were always asking "what kind of bike is that" and of course I would answer "its a prototype of 60's company that only got to build this bike and then they went broke" and only after I seen there face in shock I would tell them the truth.

Yeah, I've seen his headbadges and they are awesome, but I'm cheap, and trying to do all the work on this bike myself.

Days 12-14

I've been trying to get a little sleep the past few nights, I've been overdoing these late night bike fests. The last couple days I didn't really do anything with the build-off bike (since I was mad at it still for not letting go of it's paint). Then yesterday I got out the mountain bike to ride with a new friend. Covered about 10 miles on the local trail, he had borrowed a Next full suspension with a bent pedal and cruiser saddle, the ride about killed him, I let him ride my Gary Fisher for a while and started to hate the Next bike. We got back from the ride and picked up a free bike from the same guy that loaned him the crap bike. The bike he got was a Ross USA MT3600 mountain bike, full suspension. Nice bike, been sitting a long time, cranks wouldn't turn, we brought it back here and put in a new BB, new cranks, new chain, new front wheel, and greased it up and he rode it home. I like having parts.

Anyway, back to the build off.

So I decided to quit with all the chemicals and remove the paint manually... ugh.
IMG_4177.jpg

The twisted wire brush on the angle grinder really puts out some vibes, gets painful and numbing after a while, but it does this:
IMG_4179.jpg

For all of you that have to fake or accelorate the rust patina, feel lucky. I live in the humid (look it up west coasters) southeast and I had to remove rust from the seat tube where I cut it just a few days earlier, and it's been inside, so I must primer this tomorrow or I'll have to sand again before paint. I love the raw look, but it's not for me on this build.

I cut the long fork legs off earlier, so once the paint was gone I had to put the front end on again just to see how it would look.
IMG_4182.jpg

Oops, I made a mistake. I was going to put a bracket on the steer tube under the bottom retainer to hold my light, but I already cut the fork legs, if I added a bracket the top triple tree clamp would go up and the fork legs wouldn't be flush with the top anymore... I gotta find another way to mount that headlight.

I got it.
IMG_4186.jpg

I had 1 more triple tree clamp off a crappy suspension fork (Next bike). I didn't like the chrome, but it goes well with the stainless steel light.
IMG_4187.jpg

Plus, now I can move the light up and down all I want to get it just right without having to bend/modify a bracket.

What can I do with these? :?:
IMG_4183.jpg

Finally, after wrestling with the thick thick thick brass last time, I thought I could easily hammer it down thin to make a headbadge... HA! I found my thinner brass. Ever seen one of these?
IMG_4184.jpg

I bet a lot of money has been passed in that plate. Solid brass and thicker than the newer bright ones, so I chopped it up:
IMG_4185.jpg

I might have to get one usher to sit down tomorrow in church.

My tin snips will easily cut the flat bottom, so I brought in the brass circle until I can get some inspiration and draw something on it to cut out and etch.

That's it for tonight, have homecoming at church toworrow and no evening services, so I hope to get some real work done tomorrow, maybe some paint.

Friday the 22nd of October, just 5 days before I was born, red dye #4 is banned by the US Food and Drug Administration after it is discovered that it causes tumors in the bladders of dogs. The dye is still used in Canada, poor Canadians. I really dodged that bullet, however, Murray kept using super strong chemical paint stripper proof red paint to paint their 1976 Skybolts, which then almost 35 years later I would use cancer causing chemicals to try and remove just to make up for lost time from that old red dye #4.

Re: *The 76er* (Sayonara paint! update: 5/15)

Very nice job!!! You've got some great ideas on your build that I think will show up on other's builds.

herr_rudolf said:
You've been busy!
Love the look of that tire...
8)

Not too busy, but thanks. The tire is just a cheap Walmart tire. I bought a set to put on another bike and they ride really smooth. At first on this build I was thinking a whitewall, then I planned on a creme or brick red tire, but I think this one will go with my colors, plus it's a 2.25" tire, wider than most other tires I can afford.

Diggin' the light set up 8) Might have to steal that idea :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
herr_rudolf said:
You've been busy!
Love the look of that tire...
8)

Not too busy, but thanks. The tire is just a cheap Walmart tire. I bought a set to put on another bike and they ride really smooth. At first on this build I was thinking a whitewall, then I planned on a creme or brick red tire, but I think this one will go with my colors, plus it's a 2.25" tire, wider than most other tires I can afford.

Are you kidding me? At Walmart?? I've heard so many bad things about that place... I love that it looks more vintage than any of the retrobrand tires on the market. Color- and threadwise. Not to mention that they were able to keep it clean from ugly and highly visible names on the sidewall... Always nice to walk into the bargainstores and find the perfect stuff for the right price 8)

herr_rudolf said:
Not to mention that they were able to keep it clean from ugly and highly visible names on the sidewall...

Haha, wait until you see the other side of the tire, then you won't say that anymore. (I'll get a picture tonight).

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Diggin' the light set up 8) Might have to steal that idea :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have at it, I'm sharing my ideas for full transparency, my plan is not to keep secrets to the end, this is a community.

Have at it, I'm sharing my ideas for full transparency, my plan is not to keep secrets to the end, this is a community

That's what I'm talking about. Now this feels like a competition. All I'm saying is if you feel that, that comment applies to you don't take it personal it's just battle talk. Maybe we'll have a beer after its all done.

Day 15

Went out and did a little work tonight, but first things first, this one is for you herr_rudolf. Remember what you said about the tires and no highly visible names on the sidewall... it depends on which side of the bike you stand on:
IMG_4195.jpg

And a closer look:
IMG_4196.jpg

I guess it could be worse, it wouldn't be hard to cover up with a black Sharpie marker, but it's not horrible. I kind of like the script used in "Streamliner." And as I already said, it's only on 1 side of the tire, at least it's not a big reflective circle :lol: (sorry, couldn't resist).

Alright, now for some shocking news! American workers in 1976 were lazy!

I went out to the shop to remove the final hard to get to paint with a thin wire brush and some sandpaper, while getting up close and personal with the frame I see that things don't exactly line up straight. I first noticed right here where the cantilever tubes go past the seat tube, look how one is closer to the top bar than the other:
IMG_4189.jpg

At first I thought this could be from a crash or drop, but the bike showed no other signs of any damage, and after yanking on the bars, I'd say it would be pretty hard to bend these bars so easily without really banging up the frame. Next, look at where the cantilever tubes terminate at the top bar, they are not right beside each other:
IMG_4188.jpg

Finally, look at this cross member on the chainstays, I didn't put a square on it, but I really didn't have to:
IMG_4190.jpg

At first I was a little put off, but then I realized the character that this frame has because of such imperfections. It means to me that there was more man than machine putting this bike together, I can also relate, as a person with scoliosis, things don't quite line up on me either, this almost 35 year old man and almost 35 year old bike have more and more in common.

Well, at least it's shiny and all the red paint is gone now.
IMG_4191.jpg

So let's paint it red again!
IMG_4192.jpg

OK, the bike won't be red, this is just the primer. It went on very smooth. After scraping, brushing, and sanding I sprayed the frame down with brake cleaner and wiped it down. Then after the wipe down I lit my torch and "dried" the frame. (Never use brake cleaner to clean before welding!) Then I went and layed down multiple thin thin coats over all the tubes. When doing any kind of painting that sprays (gun or can) always start the spray before what you are spraying and end the "stroke" after what you are spraying so you don't get thick start and stop marks.

Yes, I was spraying inside with no ventilation, I didn't realize how thick the fumes were until I snapped these photos:
IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

The primer I layed tonight should be adequate since I will have a few other layers on top of this (4 that I can think of). Tomorrow I will tack cloth it and then lay the undercolor, I would've stuck around to do mroe tonight, but man... the fumes... :?

On May 30th 1976 Johnny Rutherford wins the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race. Due to rain, they shortened it to only 102 laps making it the shortest race in the event's history to date, at only 255 miles. I wonder if everyone at the race got half their money back? I doubt it. I wonder how our builds would turn out if our build off time was cut in half? Not too good.

Re: *The 76er* (Aloha new paint... and fumes! update: 5/16)

oh my gawd... And you weren't wearing any mask either?? My throat starts irritating when somebody else is using a spraycan. Even when outside...

Thanks for the close-up pics. I'm not too sure about the script in the big square, but I do like that 'Bell' logo VERY MUCH. That tire just screams vintage hotrod! And no reflection circle??? Man, it just gets better and better... I'll predict seeing lots more of these in the near future on the forum.

herr_rudolf said:
oh my gawd... And you weren't wearing any mask either?? My throat starts irritating when somebody else is using a spraycan. Even when outside...

Well, there was a new box of masks right under that blue blanket I threw down to keep the overspray off some tools, but I would've had to move the blanket to get to them, and that seemed like so much work.

I do pretty well with paint fumes, I usually paint outside, but it was dark and a little damp last night. Only 1 time did I have a bad reaction to painting in an enclosed space, woke up with a bad headache. I know my limits now, so if I have to paint inside I am in and out quickly. I do need to get a fan in the shop though.

As for the tires, I think they are cool tires, and they ride soooo nice, but I doubt that some people will be able to get away from their Felt and Schwalbe tires for some cheapies. I bought my first set (on another bike) for $15 each at Walmart, then dad found alot of them at a salvage store straight from Walmart's overstock for about $7 or $8 each, so I got a set without knowing what I would do with them. I am really liking the way they look.

Looks great :D Looks a little fumey like you said :mrgreen:

I had your paint problem before then i found this at ... guess? yes Walmart for $5.00
ESR72_3_R.jpg

spray it on come back in 25 minutes no paint will be left i use it on every frame i strip its awesome.

scrumblero said:

I didn't realize I had a problem... until now. But it's ok, because I don't live in Minnesota. :wink:

sev7n said:
I had your paint problem before then i found this at ... guess? yes Walmart for $5.00
spray it on come back in 25 minutes no paint will be left i use it on every frame i strip its awesome.

Will have to look for it next time. I really didn't need to strip the frame completely, but I'm trying to do this thing right and with the frame stripped, the first coats went on so smooth.

Latest posts

Back