*The 76er* (I. Think. I'm. Done. update: 7/29)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *The 76er(s)* (build update: 5/5)

how about drilling large holes in that chain guard?

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
how about drilling large holes in that chain guard?

There is more work to be done, experimenting on the rear half I cut off. Not sure about the flames, still room to cut them off.

Day 5:

Didn't get much work done, just getting some stuff together for the lighting (and other electrical stuff :?: ) Need to make sure I have this stuff figured out early so in the end it doesn't just look like I'm throwing lights and junk at a finished product.

Here's the inside of my headlight:
IMG_4126.jpg

It's just a Warn off-road light that did a lot of off-road time, so I had to clean a lot of mud out of it. I think I'm going to put the power supply for this light inside it, with an external switch, though there is plenty of room inside of it.

If you are converting to LED (like I am) there is something you will need to take into consideration. An LED is a very focused/directional light. Look at one straight on and you blind yourself, look at it from an angle and you're ok. This is very much unlike the halogen bulb that I will be replacing. Just taking the LEDs out of a flashlight and tossing them into this light housing will work, but you won't be taking full advantage of the nice deep reflector. Start by measuring the old bulb, you do this so you will keep your LEDs in the right position, too far back or too far forward and the beam won't throw as far as it should.
IMG_4128.jpg

So the bulb filament on the h3 bulb is about 3/4" out from the base of the bulb. I will be using 1-3 LEDs facing forward, then I will use 3 or more either facing to the sides to take advantage of the reflector, maybe some facing rearward. The forward facing will be white and probably the others as well, but you could add some yellow LEDs or other colors facing the reflector for a cool look.

More work on this later.

Here is my "battery tube."
IMG_4130.jpg

It's actually just an old sound chamber/decoration off of a doorbell, but I liked it and thought I'd use it. Not sure if a D cell will fit into it, but I know what will fit:
IMG_4131.jpg

No, I didn't just make a light saber... hmmm... moving on. This is a piece of 1" PVC and it slides right in. From previous experience I know that C-Cell batteries slide right into 1" PVC and hold firm without getting stuck, plus it will insulate my batteries and wires from the metal outer tube.

If my headlight supply is in the headlight, then this battery tube will probably run my taillight... so where will I put the power supply for my tach? Uh... nevermind.

More work will be done on all of this later.

On August 1st of this year the Build-Off will be over, but on August 1st of 1976 Elizabeth Taylor's 6th marriage was over when she re-divorced Richard Burton. Both have passed now, but I'd like to think they both could have had a little more happiness had they left those divorce precedings and bought his and hers Murray Skybolts... maybe they did, maybe I own his...

Re: *The 76er(s)* (build update: 5/6)

Day 6 &7

Some days you just gotta ride.

Busy days, had to fix my Jeep when the wife's van broke, that's next. Ballgame, dance recital, grandparents visiting, etc...

Nothing much happened yesterday besides life, but today... today was nice.

The weather was beautiful, fixed the Jeep this morning and was not motivated to touch the van, so what do you do? Goof off.

Ever since I threw my old big wheel fork/wheel onto a yard tricycle my son loves us to ride together, so what do you do? You ride.
IMG_4103-1.jpg

My daughter joined us on her scooter
IMG_4106-1.jpg

Bubby boxed me in against the neighbor's boat
IMG_4108-1.jpg

I escaped
IMG_4109-1.jpg

Then we ride off into the sunset...
IMG_4111-1.jpg

Wait, the sun doesn't set this early!

It seems I was motivated by Strings_and_steam's Hotrod Hobbyhorse so much that I had to make one of my own:
IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

My son has been needing a balance bike, he is leaning too heavily on his training wheels, so I wacked his sister's old bike. Cut the seat tube to get the seat as low as possible (Bub has short legs), cut off a chainguarg mount that would get his leg, removed the crank, then lovingly adjusted the rear dropouts to accept another front wheel (read: layed frame in dirt and stomped it in), and you've got yourself a balance bike!

Here he is trying it out, he doesn't understand what it's all about, but he is already starting to balance on it:
IMG_4119-1.jpg

I couldn't let him have all the fun:
IMG_4121-1.jpg

Maybe I'm a little big for this:
IMG_4122-1.jpg

A friend dropped off a 20" girls bike this morning, $3 at a yard sale, this bike is too nice to hack. So I decided to fix up some garbage grabs and put out the word that I have free bikes to needy kids. My mom has one of her patients in mind (mom's a nurse) and word is going out other places. Here are the 3 I will give away when I find good homes:

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

Did I just form my own co-op?

OK, so playing is done, bike charity is done, I guess this is a build-off, so I found 2 of these today in my junk, looks like I have some steel to make my fork drop-outs (is that the correct term?):
IMG_4137.jpg

So there's my progress, I found some big thick washers. :roll:

The Tour De France in 1976 was won by none other than Belgian cyclist Lucien Van Impe, what does this have to do with me? EVERYTHING! Though at the time of the race I was not born yet, before I graduated elementary school I had written a research paper of Belgium, then just last year I was given a bicycle made in Belgium for Karel Mintjens, teammate of Eddy Merckx who won the Tour De France 5 times. The bike was ridden in the Tour... so yeah, what was I talking about? Waffles? Oh yeah, I like Belgium Waffles, and once I build this bike, I'm going to get one.

Re: *The 76er(s)* (goof-off update: 5/7)

Haha brilliant assortment you got there man! Maybe 'crankless' will become a new trend, right up there with red rim with white walls and flipped handlebars :roll: :lol: :lol: :p I kid of course. The flame cutout on your fender is nifty, is it still fairly rigid?

And your bigboy trike, super cool, that looks liek a lot of fun and is really cool to be able to bike around with your kids :mrgreen:

Strings_and_steam said:
The flame cutout on your fender is nifty, is it still fairly rigid?

Yes, in fact, I intend to start a stab count, as moving it around may prove to become risky. Taking the bike from the stand this morning to work on little girl bikes the middle flame stabbed me in the web between my pinky and ring finger... ouch.

It is rigid enough that if something went wrong it would definitely pierce the tire.

Sometimes you just have to goof-off :mrgreen: Looks fun :D

Peatbog said:
Man, you have a really nice street for you and your kids to ride on. Love those trees.

Yeah, it's a nice little area, very little cross traffic. I love the trees too, because of them my backyard has NO grass at all, just sandy soil, don't have to mow and because of the sand it doesn't get muddy.

(you could reverse the flames so the rounded parts are out)

I could, but then it would look like drips instead of flames.

You can put some split loom tubing on your fender tips while working around them. I did that for the King-Ray.

Day 8:

Back into the shop the evening, ended up doing some dirty work, first let me start with this gem:

IMG_4138.jpg

Are you red with envy? Oh, I mean green.

I picked up this bike abandoned on the side of the road after dropping off the church kids after church. Just was going to grab it for parts/scrap or maybe make a rider for a kid, but as I put it into the church van I noticed the out of place saddle:

IMG_4140.jpg

How did this saddle get on this Walmart Huffy bike?
IMG_4139.jpg

It's an old Troxel, not in too bad a shape either. Since pretty much everything on my build off bike has been given to me or I've found it, this seat should fit in just right. Just need to do a little work to it.

Disassemble:
IMG_4141.jpg

Hey, who's living in my seat?
IMG_4142.jpg

Stripped the vinyl off and used the wire brush on my angle grinder to do away with the foam padding and rust:
IMG_4147.jpg

Been wanting a leater saddle, but I can't afford one. Someone in another thread said something about the bed in my shop. I have been taking photos of parts sitting on it. It's an old antique daybed or psychiatrist coach or something, anyway, the material was ripping and I looked and it was originally leather covered, someone just made a cloth cover to go over it, so tonight I ripped the cloth off the pillow:
IMG_4151.jpg

Beautiful thick aged leather. Wanna know what the thing is stuffed with? (look in the bottom left corner of the photo) Ever hear anyway say, "It's time to hit the old horse hair."? Yeah, it's stuffed with horse hair. Yuck, no thanks, I'll use foam in my saddle.

OK, remember those thick washers from the last update?
IMG_4143.jpg

Get to cutting:
IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

And the almost finished product:
IMG_4149.jpg

IMG_4148.jpg

Unfortunately the washers are galvanized, so I will have to grind the surface before I weld so I won't be inhaling poisonous fumes, but I might have gotten some tonight from grinding. I need to go drink some milk.

Still plenty to do, but plenty of time. I can't wait to ride this bike!

In 1976 new leadership in China released more than 100,000 political prisoners. This might be speculation, but once released there were too many politicians out without jobs so they started tooling up to make bicycles, possibly basing their plans on the trusty American made 1976 Murray Skybolt, and to this day China makes more bikes than any other country in the world.

Re: *The 76er(s)* (build update: 5/9)

When the bikes are done we can go cruise the streets of your neighborhood and tie up an old school boombox playing "Fantastic Voyage".

nelvolks said:
When the bikes are done we can go cruise the streets of your neighborhood and tie up an old school boombox playing "Fantastic Voyage".

My bike might have onboard iPod connectivity.

Day 10

Welcome to amateur hour people!

Am I in over my head? No, I'm confident I can do this, but I am smart enough to know that others can do it better.

I went out in the shop tonight with 3 things on my mind to do.
IMG_4152.jpg

#1: Time to weld on the fork drop outs. First I eyeballed them into position... where's my ruler? Oh well, looks good.
IMG_4153.jpg

Zap!
IMG_4155.jpg

And, they are attached.
IMG_4154.jpg

Grind crappy welds and burn with torch, I'm thinking about using burning as a finish.
IMG_4159.jpg

#2: This thing is too tall, time to trim the seat tube.
IMG_4156.jpg

Man, that was easy. Made sure to cut my notch deeper so the clamp can do it's job, and ground down the reflector bracket while I was in the area. I didn't want to take the bracket off just in case I find something to mount there (rack?)
IMG_4157.jpg

#3My head tube was a little too long for my fork steer tube, so to keep from modifying the fork I cut a chunk off the bottom of the head tube causing a problem...
IMG_4158.jpg

It would take me all day to gring out that piece with my dremel (I tried), so why not just trim the cups?
IMG_4160.jpg

OK, I guess that worked, they still fit real snug, the top needed a little trim too.

I decided to go ahead and put the fork on and see how it looks.
IMG_4162.jpg

Hmmm... might have to trim those off a bit...
IMG_4161.jpg

Altogether happy so far, I wish I hadn't planned to modify everything that I put on this bike. I hadn't really spent any money yet ($14 for the steel to make the fork tubes), but then today I realized that 2 days ago I won an auction on eBay for a Brooks saddle... oops. I forgot that I bid. If the saddle ends up on this bike I can add another $36 to the tally. Wow, that would make it an even $50.

In 1976 three Gunmen abducted a school bus with 26 children and the driver near Chowchilla, CA, all children and the driver are saved after they dug a tunnel out of the quarry they were buried in. Sure they were safe, but don't you think they wished they had maybe ridden a bike to school that day instead... possibly a 1976 Murray Skybolt?

Re: *The 76er* (amateur hour update: 5/11)

Got to thinking about the cost:
-Bike: free
-saddle in photos: free
-triple tree clamps: off of free Mongoose mountain bike
-fork tubes: $14
-headlight: free
-tires: still up in the air, either use what I had on the shelf ($20) or buy something else
-new chain: gift
-other junked free bike parts: crank, sprocket, chainguard, bars, stems, pedals, grips, and rear rack.

Like stated before, if I end up using the Brooks I just accidentally bought from eBay that will add $36 ($26 saddle plus $10 shipping). I have lots of spray paint, but I did specifically buy 1 can for this frame last year, so that's about $4.

I'm still a long ways from breaking $100, which I would consider a budget build.

nelvolks said:
Nice Chucks! What tires are you using?

Don't know yet. I was originally thinking the white walls, but they look really small on the rims. I have an extra set of the Walmart Streamliners, so I might try those, but the idea of cream tires keeps popping into my mind.

nelvolks said:
I like where your going with that. I think it will look good. What is the biggest size you can fit?

I am limited only by my wallet.

I think you are the only fan of this build.

Latest posts

Back