Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I recently purchased a parts lot locally and in that group of parts there was a 1956 Schwinn Cycle Truck frame and fork. Actually, not sure if this is a 1956 fork, but what the heck.

Initially I had thought about selling it off and then a friend of mine here in town mentioned that he had a cool wheel set off of a Phat Cycles chopper that he'd sell me for a good price. Once I saw the wheels the gears started turning and I decided to see what I could build.

cycletruck002.jpg

Here's how the bike looks right now. I mainly wanted to get it rolling to see if I would even like riding a Cycle Truck. Oddly enough it actually rides just like any 26" cruiser would. I guess the giant head tube makes up for the 20" wheel up front. Thought about having a disc brake mount welded onto the fork, but then I'm not sure if running a disc brake on this fork is a good idea. The rear roller brake works fine. Would like to eventually track down some kind of cool wooden crate to mount up front.

I ordered a tank plate for the bike last night so we'll see how that looks installed eventually.

cycletruck003.jpg

Looks like a cool project , nice to see you get out of your usual wheel house of bikes ,once In a while, sounds like you have a Purdy good vision of direction already with it.

Last edited:
I'm at a point now where I don't really seek these projects out anymore. If something pops up and it seems interesting and won't cause bankruptcy, I try to give it a whirl.

The only thing that really caused this project to happen was the fact that a friend of mine had the perfect wheel combo that he offered me for a great price. It was hard to resist building it up to see how it would ride. The wheels have sealed bearings all around so it definitely flies.

I would like to build one of these someday. Not sure why but I like them. It is second on my bucket list right behind a good humor ice cream bike. I had a frame and forks like that several years back, but hard times forced the dreaded ebay sale. Oh well, maybe someday. Keep going, I look forward to seeing how the project progresses.

JimK

Had it out for a test ride last night....rides good! Only issue is that the front wheel lacing offset puts the wheel off center in the fork. It was done to accommodate the disk brake set up, but doesn't seem to be necessary with the Cycle Truck fork. Not exactly sure how to resolve that issue without lacing in a standard hub instead.

me_cycletruck.jpg

You can generally rectify the non-centered rim if the "offset" is not too great. Simply flip the bike upside down and systematically loosen the spoke nipples one turn on the side the rim is leaning towards, and tighten the spoke nips one turn on the opposite side to pull the rim back over. Full turn 1st time, then 1/2 turn all the way around & so forth. Afterwards, spoke tension and trueness should be preserved.
Hopefully there are enough threads on each spoke in order to make this adjustment..:nod:

Last edited:
Had it out for a test ride last night....rides good! Only issue is that the front wheel lacing offset puts the wheel off center in the fork. It was done to accommodate the disk brake set up, but doesn't seem to be necessary with the Cycle Truck fork. Not exactly sure how to resolve that issue without lacing in a standard hub instead.

View attachment 61985
Lookin good! What about just redishing the wheel? Do you still plan on welding a brake mount on the fork?

Lookin good! What about just redishing the wheel? Do you still plan on welding a brake mount on the fork?

I'm still considering it, but someone mentioned that the fork may not be stout enough to handle a disk brake set up.

Curious if anyone has had experience using a blade fork with a disk brake before.

B808 would scold you, but think about direction of forces to the fork from the caliper when the brake is applied. A bladed fork, while thin, may be able to handle the fore/aft forces, but it may also flex side to side while riding, rubbing the disc pads on the rotor. Add some long truss rods to reinforce maybe?

B808 would scold you, but think about direction of forces to the fork from the caliper when the brake is applied. A bladed fork, while thin, may be able to handle the fore/aft forces, but it may also flex side to side while riding, rubbing the disc pads on the rotor. Add some long truss rods to reinforce maybe?

I´m not looking to scold anyone, but obviously that fork isn´t going to hold up to a disc brake, at least not if the bike is really being ridden. Plus, finding a CT fork these days ain´t easy.... it´d be a shame to ruin one needlessly.

OK, maybe I am scolding, a little bit. :crazy:

So, maybe Phat Choppers are set up a little bit differently, maybe not.... i´m not sure. But, generally speaking, disc fronts will be dished to accommodate the brake rotor, but the rim will still be centered. The rim itself shouldn´t be offset. I suspect that maybe the fork is already tweaked, or maybe you just have it mounted funny?

But, generally speaking, disc fronts will be dished to accommodate the brake rotor, but the rim will still be centered. The rim itself shouldn´t be offset. I suspect that maybe the fork is already tweaked, or maybe you just have it mounted funny?
Never considered that at 1st, but it's true. Most all disc hubs have the rim centered. Maybe throw the wheel on a truing stand to see what's up with the dishing, and also put a known-to-be-centered 20 or 24" on the fork to see how it sits in the dropouts. Decisions, decisions..... I would also like to know if anyone here at RRB has had forks blow up after they mounted disc brakes on it. Anyone out there?

Never considered that at 1st, but it's true. Most all disc hubs have the rim centered. Maybe throw the wheel on a truing stand to see what's up with the dishing, and also put a known-to-be-centered 20 or 24" on the fork to see how it sits in the dropouts. Decisions, decisions..... I would also like to know if anyone here at RRB has had forks blow up after they mounted disc brakes on it. Anyone out there?

Test fitting other wheels would be a good first step towards problem solving...

Fair question about forks blowing up after welding a disc tab on there.... i think actual riding is a huge factor in this, though. A lot of folks on RRB are building wall-hangers or bikes that they gently cruise on during events. I recall that, back when discs were first becoming popular on mtbs, a lot of shade-tree guys put their own mounts on and the forks rarely ¨blew up¨ catastrophically; the problem was more in the tines bending/becoming misaligned (in relation to eachother and/or the steerer) from forces they were never meant to contend with. I´m sure you can find threads on mtbr and bikeforums....

But yeah, i´d be interested to hear any RRBers´ experiences, for sure.

I most likely won't even worry about adding the disk brake mount. The bike is just for casual cruising and so far the rear roller brake seems to provide enough stopping power.

Will see if I can find a standard 20" wheel to test out. Not having dropouts on this fork makes for a fun wheel installation situation.

Why not put a triple tree fork on it? @outsider13 did a few of them. I had a 3G Partytime fork on my Hornet that would work.

I kind of wanted to keep the original look the bike has with a 20" fork.

I like what Dan at Ichi Bike did with his. I'm guessing he had to weld on an extra long steer tube to get this to work.

Screen shot 2017-09-14 at 3.56.49 PM.png

Screen shot 2017-09-14 at 3.57.09 PM.png

Screen shot 2017-09-14 at 3.57.00 PM.png

That bike is awesome Steve...:)
I think that is a fork off one one new cycle trucks he sells...(Soma maybe?). Give him a call. :thumbsup:
Also JB Importers also markets a recumbent replacement fork that I am thinking might work on a cycle truck. Has very long headtube and for 20" front wheel.

Latest posts

Back