Ten Grand in fifty dollar bills

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I used to joke about finding money in an old bike tank, because I remembered a story a neighbor, Mr Shephard, told who fixed our bikes when we were kids.
We wanted the tanks taken off our bikes because they weren't cool anymore. I had a 24" Evans, and my friend had a Hornet, he was a big 12 year old.
He said we might be the lucky ones with the ten grand in the bike tank. That peaked our interest, so we asked about it.
So, the long story began. We wished we hadn't said anything, it was impolite to just up and leave unless it was an emergency, so we listened to the whole thing. It took about an hour, and we just wanted to ride our bikes and get out of there.
In Chicago in the late 50's, a used bike shop had about 500 bikes. One of the shop owners had ties to organized crime and used the shop as his cover. He was skimming cash off the top of some ill gotten gains and needed to hide the dough. He had 5 rolls of fiftys, 10 grand total that he needed to hide, and do it quickly. He unbolted a tank from one of the bikes and shoved all 5 rolls in there and bolted it back up. The bosses caught up with him and he was never heard from again. When they went through his belongings trying to find out what happened, they found a note which said the money was put in a tank of a bicycle at the shop.
But, a couple days earlier, the shop had sold off about 150 of their bikes, shipped to different shops in Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. Since they were used bikes, serial numbers weren't kept track of, just the number of bikes to each shop. They didn't even list the brand names. None of the bikes at the shop had any money stashed.

So, I thought he made the story up, but my research had come up with a few mentions of mob money hidden in a bicycle that was lost back in the 50's.
So, check those old tanks!

Last edited:
I used to joke about finding money in an old bike tank, because I remembered a story a neighbor, Mr Shephard, told who fixed our bikes when we were kids.
We wanted the tanks taken off our bikes because they weren't cool anymore. I had a 24" Evans, and my friend had a Hornet, he was a big 12 year old.
He said we might be the lucky ones with the ten grand in the bike tank. That peaked our interest, so we asked about it.
So, the long story began. We wished we hadn't said anything, it was impolite to just up and leave unless it was an emergency, so we listened to the whole thing. It took about an hour, and we just wanted to ride our bikes and get out of there.
In Chicago in the late 50's, a used bike shop had about 500 bikes. One of the shop owners had ties to organized crime and used the shop as his cover. He was skimming cash off the top of some ill gotten gains and needed to hide the dough. He had 5 rolls of fiftys, 10 grand total that he needed to hide, and do it quickly. He unbolted a tank from one of the bikes and shoved all 5 rolls in there and bolted it back up. The bosses caught up with him and he was never heard from again. When they went through his belongings trying to find out what happened, they found a note which said the money was put in a tank of a bicycle at the shop.
But, a couple days earlier, the shop had sold off about 150 of their bikes, shipped to different shops in Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. Since they were used bikes, serial numbers weren't kept track of, just the number of bikes to each shop. They didn't even list the brand names. None of the bikes at the shop had any money stashed.

So, I thought he made the story up, but my research had come up with a few mentions of mob money hidden in a bicycle that was lost back in the 50's.
So, check those old tanks!
Wow awesome story I love old Mob stories [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Good story @Wildcat!

Just a question...
How big is a roll of 40 $50 bills?
Do you mean how big were they in 1950 or today? If you factor in the inflation, there would be a pretty substantial difference. ;)

Just a question...
How big is a roll of 40 $50 bills?
Big!
american-fifty-dollar-bills-rolled-up-thread-car-55304437.jpg

I forgot part of Mr. Shephard's story.
After they opened all the tanks at their shop, they tried to get to all the other bikes without letting on about the money. At each shop they went to, they asked to inventory all the bikes received, saying they accidentally shipped out a customer's bike by mistake. One of the shop owners in Indiana noticed them looking in all the tanks and put them on the spot, so they told him the real story.
Word got around fast. They couldn't check the bikes in any of the other shops because now they had all been taken apart looking for cash. No money was found, or the lucky person kept their mouth shut about it.

I thought the rest of the story lead to your bike being stolen for the tank, or the mobsters attacking you to get your bike back in those days, thus why the tanks became un-cool to have.

I heard this similar story told to me in an antique mall somewhere around Chester, IL

Mr. Shephard told us this story around 1965.

The guy that told me the similar tale was in his 70's in the 1990's. Obviously I thought he was really just pulling my leg until you mentioned your story. It came about when I was talking to him about a pristine bicycle tank that he had for sale, after I had joked with him about getting the rest of the bicycle with the tank. I always had thought it just became uncool just like when I was a kid with a bmx that it seemed suddenly bar and goose neck pads along with number plates became so uncool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes stuff becomes uncool because of what is deemed fashionable by others. Sometimes it is just because you grow up and realize it was lame the whole time. But then, you get old, and the stuff that you thought was cool, and then thought was lame, becomes cool yet again. Like tank bikes, with or without the $50s inside them. :)

Sometimes stuff becomes uncool because of what is deemed fashionable by others. Sometimes it is just because you grow up and realize it was lame the whole time. But then, you get old, and the stuff that you thought was cool, and then thought was lame, becomes cool yet again. Like tank bikes, with or without the $50s inside them. :)
tumblr_n25j4egSWQ1s2vfndo1_250.gif

HEAVY MAN!

Latest posts

Back