Take on Me ‘97 Kona A’ha

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
So I’d been hunting for a ‘97 Kona A’Ha for a few years. A few weeks back, a local and awesome RRBer @thebigorangecat saw one mentioned for sale and put me in contact with the owner.
The next day I cleared my plans and made the 5 hour round trip journey.
It wasn’t complete, but that’s fine by me. Frame n fork and I’m good.
1D8DCF8F-92DE-4F4E-AA46-2BBEDFA87C9D.jpeg

Beautiful loop tail three bar with a one year only, and large part of my hunt, paint scheme.
Also came with original stem n bars, and a front wheel. None of which i’ll be using.

The goal is to build it with mtb and bmx parts from the era.

I was in the middle of three other builds when I got this. All got pushed back. This is the priority.

Love the bike and the Build name!! :D

As luck would have it, about two months before finding the frame set, I scored these wheels-
FAD07345-73F8-48FF-87D5-2ADD5CB27231.jpeg

Mavic 217 sup rims laced to a GT stamped Hadley front hub, and shimano xtr rear.
And wouldn’t you know? They’re from ‘97 too. Stoked.
Only issue is the xtr hub is standard mtb spacing at 135mm. The Kona is single speed spacing at 110mm. Oh and they’re 32h, not 36.
So, I need a rear hub that’ll work. And in red ano to match the front.
There’s really not a lot out there in those desires specs. I searched for a few weeks for 90s bmx hubs. Found a ton I liked, but none in 32h. So I finally opted for a modern rear hub that fit my needs. The specs mentioned, with sealed bearings and an aluminum body.
780B19FF-EDD0-47BE-AF02-71A922E5A0F6.jpeg

Never heard of v!z, but it was pretty much my only option, and it actually feels really really nice.
Matches too-
16A7718A-1686-4FD7-921E-BE03DFB3D6C4.jpeg

With the help of my trusty assistant, I tore the rear wheel down and rebuilt.
4D32EFAE-DB7F-4DF9-A5AF-928239C107F3.jpeg

I randomly had 32 black nipples left from another project (black nips to match the crank) and had the right length dt Swiss spokes. (I try to buy spokes by the box when I need them. Starting to have a nice inventory)
AEE368AE-28F3-48B7-AA4C-30617EC2FBB7.jpeg
tensioned and trued.

Got the tires mounted and did a lil test fit to see the stance-
F452CBAD-6DC1-41F9-A63E-A1642CBE2EA0.jpeg

554A2329-87E8-4666-9FBF-F6C877A1DB2E.jpeg

Was going to go with a set of maxxis hook worms, but decided to go with skin wall tires I was going to use on a different build. That build now gets the hookworms.
Also got a Brooks professional I had around mounted up.
To round out the cockpit I wanted to go with 4 piece specialized fatboy cruiser bars. In the 90s I was all about 4 piece bars, and in 97, I really wanted a specialized fatboy.
Found the bars, bought em, but... they showed up bent. Bummer. I’ll be using some SE cruiser bars I’ve had stashed for now.
6FD69B24-1592-4B75-8D5A-7076CBD8B796.jpeg

Stem n grips are on their way. As well as the last bits for the brakes and drivetrain.

Stem came in today. Mid school S&M redneck in red ano.

54AC2C68-11AF-4B76-962E-35AD543A28FC.jpeg

Test fit the bars tonight. And tho I like the looks of em, I think they may end up too low for me. Might put on a big of big honkin se bars as place holders till I get what I want.

Last piece to the puzzle came today. Bottom bracket.
Got the drive train laid out for inventory—

7B47CD45-ED46-4653-9C3F-06E37F774F64.jpeg

CBR type E crankset, salsa ring, acs crossfire freewheel, shimano bb, kmc no drop chain, odyssey sealed bearing Jim Cielencki pedals, and red ano bolts/ dust covers.

Hey DP, for your 4-piece bars...are you looking at just cruiser bars? I'm not much of a four-piece guy, as I'm not a freestyle guy at all, but...I have some bars on my PK that are pretty nice. This is them covered in dust, 3rd bike from the front on the right...

cropped 4piece PK bars.jpg

...if I remember correctly they seem pretty nice, good chrome, welds, etc. I think they are 8-8.5" rise, but I'd have to measure them. I'm going to have to ID them before I get rid of them, as I was impressed enough by them that they may be desirable. If you are interested, I can pull the bike out and take a serious look at them.

I decided to go with four piece bars on my SWOBO, and thought of these...but, I want to go with black...probably fubars. But looking through my pics made me think of your Kona.

Jason

edit - though, in my opinion...the SE Super Big Honkin Bars would look good on your A'ha :D

Last edited:
Jason I can't see the pic..
But, I'm going to go with the SE super big honkin bars for now (as I've already got a pair). I've got my eye on the S&M 7" 4 piece cruiser bars for down the line. They are almost the same dimensions as the SE bars, just 4 piece rather then 2.
I was never a freestyle guy either. We always built dirt jumps. But I remember at 11 years old or so, I HAD to have 4 piece bars:21:

‘Finished’ —

E5BE70AB-BA73-47F7-B6F9-F065DC723F97.jpeg

A5F556F7-68F2-4663-9A4F-F9623947EE50.jpeg

Finished it up yesterday morning before work and commuted on it. Haven’t been able to stay off it! Super stoked to finally have this bike and build it up!
There’s a few small things I hope to change out as time goes. Mostly I wanna put a Chris King headset on it. And change a few smalls, front brake pads, brake barrel adjusters, valve caps, stuff like that.
But for now, it rides really great and I’m stoked on it.
I slightly lowered my gear ratio for this one so I can have more options around town. Some of my favorite routes have inclines, and my usual 45 or 46 - 18 is a lil too stout for em . Geared this at 42-17. Not too spinny, and I can get up most the hills round town.

Latest posts

Back