Swiss Cycl'o'path (pulled from BO12, frame swapped and new thread up: The Wolverine)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissGuy

Professional Amateur Tinkerer
Pro Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow builders! I finally had time to head down into the basement and start my build. I'll again throw a european diamond frame into the ring. It won't become a rat, this time I have something shinier in mind.
Here's my starting point:
SAM_2032.jpg

Nothing special (yet), I got it last autumn for very little money and it sat outside the whole winter, just waiting for the build off to start.
I took it in tonight and about an hour or so later, it looked like this:
SAM_2235.jpg

Then I sorted out all the unneeded stuff (most of it went into the fleamarket box) and went through my parts stash.
That's what I will use (still some parts missing and some other's probably won't make the cut):
SAM_2238.jpg

The bike must have spent some time on a sandy beach or so...
SAM_2236.jpg

Glad your in again all the way from Germany.Happy to have someone in from this side of the pond.
Good little starter frame.

On a bike, I dismantled at work, I found this:
SAM_2247.jpg

As I aim for a kind of commuter bike, I think a chainguard would be the right thing, and it will give me more surface for the kind of "paint" job I have in mind....
I intend to do a decoupage bike similar to the one I did here. So today I tried do decide on the "paint scheme". First thought was again comics:
SAM_2248.jpg

But while looking through what I immediately had at hand it didn't "click". But when looking into my book shelf I found a stash of old topographical maps of eastern switzerland (that's the corner, where I grew up):
SAM_2255.jpg

SAM_2250.jpg

And then I thought, why not take a cycling map to "paint" a bicycle:
SAM_2260.jpg

All the red lines are marked cycling paths and routes. The map is more than ten years old so not up to date at all, which means no big deal to reuse for something different...
And while at it I saw another addition to the project in my parts pile: a rear rack:
SAM_2261.jpg

Oh, and I came up with a build name: Swiss Cycl'o'path

Nice !!

Spent some quality time in the basement today. Started puzzling the parts together. Lots of small stuff to so like drilling new holes, enlarging existing ones. Hit a Wall at first, as I didn't finden the proper lower cone for the fork, so I used a placeholder for the mockup...
But it starts to take shape, although I need another caliper brake....
d967a3380d3074edaec5f84e50e431d8.jpg
4d16bfd4d3c4a328c89f7caa6d2f8277.jpg
b22bbac19807131b115d0ebb18f82622.jpg

Gesendet von meinem K00E mit Tapatalk

Last edited:
Love the topo map paint idea! Will you kind of decoupage the paper onto the frame?

Love the topo map paint idea! Will you kind of decoupage the paper onto the frame?
Yep, that's the plan.
When I made my final choices on parts and everything fits, I will take it apart and sand(blast) the frame. Then I'll apply a base coat and over that the paper with a decoupage glue. To seal it in I use clear boat paint.

Still no progress, but lots of distraction. Spent the weekend cruisin' with my son and friends, have to do tax forms until end of month and another project came up...
c80cbc2d80ea59f9469c3411acc424da.jpg
9cf7138673a42ad309fa00f5a57ccafc.jpg
f170a31efc741e0bb89b9aa2749cf22e.jpg

Gotta have some tunes...
I'm liking the maps deco idea, I did a SG guitar years ago with Heavy Metal comics. Very colorful.
Carl.

Always great to see your builds in the BO.
Love the idea of the topo maps decoupage
Brilliant market trailer with built in table.

Thanks for the props. Lot's of stuff going on in the last few weeks. Big family meeting, got sick and got distracted by building a suitcase boombox with built in media center ( aka raspberry pi zero w)...
But will continue building on the cycl'o'path by next week. Promise!
ce0ca82ddc2a25f01fb5cfc959d1804d.jpg

But back to topic now. I made some small progress. Fabbed a rear bracket for the chainguard and found the right combination of wheel, fork and caliper break, grips are set and I found a nice add-on to the handlebar ends
45fd7bd3fd77cd0a8aa371a4509a6341.jpg
b01aa5217d02c3976df7276697408f55.jpg
c7acdea935dc602608e729d41857f681.jpg
99b823c3ea28b7ecd875a89c5763d22f.jpg

Latest posts

Back