Sweet Fancy Moses (Some bike work and another sidetrack!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Pushing on, 'Cuz Jake says to!! GTB!!!!))

wow. :shock: you sir are a jedi in that shop... and the way your pushing through your illness is just crazy awesome with a attitude like that you'll beat it for sure!! the bikes is coming out great and im glued to your thread FO-SHO!!
now i got to take jakes advise..and GTB!!
jay

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Pushing on, 'Cuz Jake says to!! GTB!!!!))

jaysmo said:
wow. :shock: you sir are a jedi in that shop... and the way your pushing through your illness is just crazy awesome with a attitude like that you'll beat it for sure!! the bikes is coming out great and im glued to your thread FO-SHO!! now i got to take jakes advise..and GTB!!

Not a Jedi this week, more like a zombie hahaha I am runnin' on empty but I am taking Saturday off!

I got a lot done today, altho it doesn't look like it. There was a TON of checking and re-checking, measuring and re-measuring grinding a little and clamping. A tack weld here and there, quite a few drink breaks and some general shop B.S. with my dad. I didn't get it done but on Sunday I should be bending tube.

Makin' sure things are square and that the pins move freely.

P5180225.jpg

Hold in place.

P5180224.jpg

Tack weld!!

P5180226.jpg

I welded it in stages because I wanted minimal warpage due to head and the pull of the weld.

P5180228.jpg

Getting it all laid out.

P5180231.jpg

Beveling the edges for a stronger weld.

P5180232.jpg

This box will be the adapter from the ram to the bender, I had to change the position of the ram 90° to allow manual adjustment and easy access to the release valve.

P5180233.jpg

Tacky,tacky.

P5180234.jpg

Clamping my heart out, measuring all the while.

P5180236.jpg

All tacked and ready for weld.

P5180239.jpg

I hope to be bending tube on Sunday.

P5180238.jpg

It has been a SUPER LONG three major medical tests, I pushed myself farther than I should have prolly, but I have no regrets. If I let things out of my control consume me I will never get past this.

Thank you guys for the support, and for being a part of the drive to get things finished.

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Pipe bender almost done!!)

I know, I know it's Sunday and I am supposed to have bent tube today! I got a lot done but no bending, I promise tomorrow I will have bending pictures and video.

Here are some action shots my wife took today haha, what can I say I tell her to take pictures and she can't take her eyes off of me long enuff to take a decent picture of the project!!! Either that or she took pics while I was welding to have proof that I have done some work recently!!

Today I tied up all the loose ends on the tube bender.

P5200242.jpg

I have no welding left just assembly.

P5200248.jpg

Every joint is welded.

P5200262.jpg

Every end is capped.

P5200249.jpg

Ugly welds are ground off.... all zero of them!!! Hahahahaha and when I say "zero" i mean I will not admit to grinding!!!!

P5200287.jpg

Ok guys tomorrow I bend tube!!!

Go with option 1 and sell me option 2. lol good luck.

nhlkidds said:
Go with option 1 and sell me option 2. lol good luck.

Haha I wish I could sell things but once I get used to the idea of owning something it usually sticks around.

More pipe bender fun!!!!!!

Assembled and bending!!!

P5210308.jpg

1st 180°!!!!!!

P5210309.jpg

Made a cane for when I am old hahaha!

P5210310.jpg

Bending an "S"

P5210314.jpg

She is slow but sure.

P5210317.jpg

Angle 2.

P5210320.jpg

Angle 3.

P5210321.jpg

The piece of tube we bent is actually conduit we had layin' around. I got busy assembling and didn't make it to the metal store on time.

P5210322.jpg

It didn't kink but it isn't perfectly round either, I am sure it is because the conduit was undersized for my die.

P5210324.jpg

It is gonna be lotsa fun!!!!!

P5210325.jpg

Here are 3 video links:

Test 1
Test 2
Test 3

You haffta re-pin it three ties to bend it 180°, this will change with the radius of the die I think. The die shone is a 1 1/4 inch tube with a 4 inch 240° radius. It is slow, but sure and will suit my needs perfectly. I am very happy with it!!

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Bending Tube!!!!!!!)

Now how can we trogs who work with rocks and sticks compete with this kind of know-how and resources?!! Just kidding brother :lol: Very good stuff, I appreciate the instruction within your build page. A person can learn a lot from our peers on this site.

Looking forward to your finished product!

-EOEL

Are your dies sized for tubing or pipe? That's been the trick from what I've seen - most are intended for pipe bending, and what we'd need to deal with is tubing...

I know this isn't the intended purpose, but looking at your test bend piece you could easily make a quick bike rack (the type you anchor in concrete) or just a bike show stand.

EastOfEastLos said:
Now how can we trogs who work with rocks and sticks compete with this kind of know-how and resources?!! Just kidding brother :lol: Very good stuff, I appreciate the instruction within your build page. A person can learn a lot from our peers on this site.

I haffta have tools like this to help catch up to the quality of the average user here. I try to make up in tools what I lack in skill haha! I am on a TIGHT budget as I am disabled and non working, so I have to be really wise about the purchases I make and I have to improvise or make a bunch of my own equipment. The shop is not mine, my dad teaches auto-body and I get to use his shop occasionally. I only own 3 "big" tools: welder, tube bender, and an air compressor. With a good budget and perseverance ANYONE can get the tools I have.

expjawa said:
Are your dies sized for tubing or pipe? That's been the trick from what I've seen - most are intended for pipe bending, and what we'd need to deal with is tubing...

The dies are from Pro Tools <------- Hit the link and click the "Pro 105 die sets" There is a large variety including 4 major categories: Round Tube, Round Pipe, Metric Round Tube, and Square tube. I bought 2 dies for the moment, a 1 1/4 inch, 4 inch radius 240° and a 1 inch 4 inch radius 240° die.

yoothgeye said:
I know this isn't the intended purpose, but looking at your test bend piece you could easily make a quick bike rack (the type you anchor in concrete) or just a bike show stand.

I thought the same thing!!! You really need to come to New Mexico. There is TONS of un-picked sources and only surface rust, no rot! We share a lot of the same interests, I'll let you use my bender!

raggedjim said:
Good work. I love your shop and I'm proud for you. Hope all goes well with the Crohns, my wife has her moments with it.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, it has been a rough couple of years, me and my wife have had to deal with things that would break most couples. I hope the best for you guys too, I defiantly know how hard it can be on a relationship.

inshane64 said:
yoothgeye said:

I thought the same thing!!! You really need to come to New Mexico. There is TONS of un-picked sources and only surface rust, no rot! We share a lot of the same interests, I'll let you use my bender!

I would love to make it down that way sometime. I've lived a sheltered life... not really, it's been pretty full, but looking at my "map" I haven't been many places. I'd love to get to Texas one day, and NM is in the same general direction. :lol:

Peatbog said:
Sweet mother of pearl, that is what I would call one nice tube bender. Good job on that!

Thanks, I can't wait to use it on something.

I thought I would get back to building a bike today!!! ....at least for a little while.

It turns out that an auto body dolly was just the shape I need for some fender brackets!!!!

P5230327.jpg

I am gonna need to bend 4 of these, here is the one that will be welded to the frame.

P5230328.jpg

Here it is all trimmed up and ready to be welded.

P5230332.jpg

I am also gonna need a bracket for the chain guard. Here is my first attempt.

P5230329.jpg

It should go about right here.

P5230330.jpg

All was going well and progress was being made until my wife calls me and reminded me that I promised her a table for the back porch! So I am gonna bust some tail and try to get it done fast.

I told her it was to gonna be done before July 4th but I am trying to surprise her by getting it done in a week because we close on a house next Tuesday, it will be her housewarming present from me.

Here is all the metal after being cut.

P5240334.jpg

Center legs tacked together.

P5240335.jpg

I got a lot done today even tho it doesn't look like it.

P5240338.jpg

It should wind up looking similar to this one, but I plan on some rounded edges and a cool paint job.

P5240339.jpg

raggedjim said:
Too cool of a bike to be on page 3. Hope all is well. Rg

Seriously!! I want to see some bent tubes!!!!!

Maybe even some Tubular Bells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPEt5OTR6Vc

EDIT: HOLY SMOKES!!!!! I have had this 8-Track, Album, CD, and MP3 for years and never realized that Michael Oldfield was a guitarist!!!!!!! I thought that this was all synth music. Now I have a whole nutha level of respect for this!

If you have 25 minutes of patience, check out this 1973 BBC Live performance of TB.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7VHRyQDMTM

1839747_640px.jpg

Sorry it's been so long without a post, my illness got the best of me the week after my last post. It has been a ruff ride but I am starting to feel better.

Thank you guys so much for the PM's and support. This site has meant the world to me as I fight against Crohn's. You have no idea the effect having something to work on has, not only does it keep my mind off of things but it builds stamina and self esteem that have been stolen by years of sickness. After a serious flare up I have been on some new meds and tonight I took my first bike ride since my last post, it felt great. I will finish this bike.

Welcome back buddy!!!!
Glad to hear you were able to get back in the saddle!!

Latest posts

Back