Sweet Fancy Moses (Some bike work and another sidetrack!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Mock-Up!!! I need some advice)

Wow! This build is really speaking to me as a contender.
Glad to start seeing some of the bricks show up.
I REALLY appreciate the detailed rear spread posts.
I also plan to roll bricks with a beehive, but mine is probably going to be a spaceliner frame.

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Mock-Up!!! I need some advice)

Thanks for the views/comments guys I have not worked on the bike since my last post. I have been working on some shop tools.

yoothgeye said:
Reinforced reflector brackets.

I had not thought about that this idea will take some of the time out of fabrication!

whoinphx said:
I Don't know.... I Love the beehive springer, BUT....
I almost think it's better with the Schwinn Springer....
The reason being, You're incorporating the old parts ( Colorflow Chainguard, rack, etc. ) with the Tiger frame and I think having the Beehive on the front and everything else on the back overwhelms the Tiger frame.... It could be any old frame in there amongst the parts....
Where as if you keep the Schwinn Springer it kind of balances out the Schwinn with the Skirts and all...Just my two cents... Regardless I'm totally digging this build... Just way Cool.
( As a side bar, If you're not using that Rat-Trap Springer Fork... I'd be interested in it if you are willing to part with it... Thanks )

I agree but for some reason even spaced out properly (3/16ths) on either side of the tire, I still get tire rub on the ride. I am gonna prepare the beehive in case I cannot figure what the issue is. I have rebuilt the hub, and used several combos of washers used for spacing. The rat trap belongs to my First Build, I just robbed it to see if it would work.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Mine is from an Elgin. It's a two bracket, kinda like a clam shell where you install the lower half, then the truss/springer piece, then a top piece. Put an ad in the Wanted section, I'm sure someone has one that they'd be willing to part with.

Dr. Tank, this was just what I needed I am gonna fabricate something like this:
KGrHqFh8E9b4Dp72zBPpI1DP12g60_57.jpg

kingfish254 said:
Wow! This build is really speaking to me as a contender.
Glad to start seeing some of the bricks show up.
I REALLY appreciate the detailed rear spread posts.
I also plan to roll bricks with a beehive, but mine is probably going to be a spaceliner frame.

Thanks, I have been working on a tube bender so I haven't touched the bike, I think I am gonna put some details of the bender in this thread.

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Tubing Bender)

Here is a tangent I have been on since my last update with pictures:

I decided I needed a tube bender that would bend 180° and I did not want to spend thousands to acquire one. After TONS of internet research I found a set of plans from Frank Takacs at gottrikes.com

Here is a sample picture of what I will end up with.

bender010.jpg

Another picture of what I hope to build.

Bender_HalfExtended.jpg

My bender will have some variation because I have a couple of my own ideas to interject.

I started by making all the cuts I will need, all the steel you see here is 1/4 inch mild steel, I capped all the ends that will show because I want my tools to be of the same quality/good looks as the things I build.

P4050057.jpg

I laid it all out and used strategic tack welds, wood blocks, and clamps to prevent warp due to heat.

P4050061.jpg

I already bragged about my welder earlier in this thread but this is my first big project since I got it. Man this Millermatic 350P can lay down a DEEP weld in pulse mode, I am in love.

P4110069.jpg

Here is the longest bead I ran. (Still getting used to the different style of welding you haffta use when you use the pulse, it is also called spray welding by some.)

P4110067.jpg

Close up:

P4110063.jpg

Another close up picture.

P4110066.jpg

The casters will bolt to these:

P4110065.jpg

Almost done.

P4110068.jpg

All welded up.

P4110076.jpg

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Tubing Bender Tangent)

This post will get me up to date, I hope to work on the bicycle tomorrow as I am waiting on the dies to come in.

I have some small holes to drill!

IMG00038-20120509-1455.jpg

And some BIG holes!!

P5080185.jpg

All holes drilled. it was a LONG day at the drill press, but on the plus side I don't think in need anything else cut or drilled.

P5100187.jpg

A few tack welds and I called it a day.

P5100188.jpg

Now back to bicycles until next Wednesday when the dies come in.

That welder is awesome! One thing you guys will NEVER see from me is a raw weld! I always have to file, sand, and bondo them to make them look like anything other than chicken poop... well, they're not that bad, but nowhere like yours.

Good luck, Rg

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Back to the bike!!! Springer Action!!!)

Back to bike building!!

Started with cardboard going from ideas inspired by yooth and Dr. Tank.

P5110194.jpg

Transferred to metal.

P5110195.jpg

Ouchie!!! the sharp bit got away from me a little (I shudda clamped it better) The hole was supposed to be centered in the lines.

P5110196.jpg

Hole drilled, but now I haffta move the lines to match my goof.

P5110197.jpg

Fun Fun with the cut-off wheel.

P5110198.jpg

Done cutting!

P5110199.jpg

My bike has wings!!!!

P5110200.jpg

Now I need to start bending.

P5110202.jpg

Bendy, Bendy!!

P5110205.jpg

Two of the three bends done.

P5110206.jpg

Top view.

P5110207.jpg

Bent to perfection! Haha

P5110209.jpg

Time to make the tab to hold the springer.

P5110203.jpg

Hammer in action.

P5110204.jpg

Bolt and stopper welded!

P5110212.jpg

Bad cell phone pics!!

P5110217.jpg

Close up of bottom.

P5110211.jpg

Bottom finished.

P5110210.jpg

I am tired!!! here is where I got to today, it is functional but not pretty, I will work on pretty another day.

P5110208.jpg

Love the fabrication! Where's your plasma cutter? Yooth said it.....Above and Beyond.

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses

dogdart said:
That's a pretty sweet piece . Gives a nice surface to mount a light or sumtin

I am not sure what I will do in regards to a light or something, I set an old light off of a tractor on it and I think it really took away from bike, I will post some pictures so you guys can help me decide.

yoothgeye said:
You went above and beyond on that mount! 8)

Thanks, the idea was sparked by you and Dr. Tank. Its not finished yet I am gonna do some work to make it look a little more refined.

Lybtech said:
Love the fabrication! Where's your plasma cutter?

I just got done savin for a welder, a plasma cutter will be one of my next big purchases, along with an air compressor that can pump more air.

Peatbog said:
Uhhhh, not to sound non-bikish because the bike really is cool, but I am looking forward to the also cool tube bender.

I too am really excited about the bender, I get the dies on Wednesday!!!

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Springer Work)

It's just nice to see somebody around here that can really weld! :p :lol: :mrgreen:

tin machine said:
good work my friend , american inspired and american built !!!! :!: :!: 8)

Thanks! It's been fun so far, this build-off is one of the bright spots of my year.

Rockit! said:
It's just nice to see somebody around here that can really weld! :p :lol: :mrgreen:

The welder makes me look better than I actually am, hahaha

I don't plan on getting much done this week, I have a disease called Crohn's and after a check-up a week or so ago they found my blood work was not so good. I am scheduled for three procedures this week, I am really bummed because I thought I was getting better. I been struggling with this stuff for six years and have not been able to work for the last two years. I saved and bought the welder and am making the tube bender so I can try to start a business because I DON'T wanna live off of disability for the rest of my life, but I am unable to be a good employee due to the nature of the disease. I want to start up something to do on my own so I can work when I can (sometimes I can work at 2 am but can't during "business hours"). After being pretty much homebound for a year I DREAD the idea and constant fear of getting bad again.

Sorry for the ramble haha I blame the meds and lack of sleep due to prepping for the hospital.

So sorry to hear that....
Hopefully things won't be as bad as you worry this time.... And we'll all try to patiently wait for the continuation of this awesome build... Get to feeling better man....

Awesome fab work! Hope you get to feeling better! 8)

whoinphx said:
So sorry to hear that.... Hopefully things won't be as bad as you worry this time.... And we'll all try to patiently wait for the continuation of this awesome build... Get to feeling better man....

ruddigger said:
You're very talented brother, I hope you get better soon.

pick said:
Awesome fab work! Hope you get to feeling better! 8)

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys!!!

I had a few tests on Monday and the plan of action is new meds, I have a procedure tomorrow, but because Jake always tells us to "Get To Buildin", I decided to push thru and not let this stuff hold me back.

Who says you can't work during a bad situation??

IMG00041-20120516-1701.jpg

That's right! No stopping me! (ok frequent stopping after the first 30 minutes) hahaha This stuff is NO FUN!!!!

P5160219.jpg

Here is the pipe bender, I haffta make sure these holes are spot-on for the next step.

IMG00043-20120516-1748.jpg

But the big project of the day was getting the transmission out of my Fairlane.

IMG00045-20120516-1749.jpg

Forgot to take a picture before she was packaged for transport.

IMG00047-20120516-1749.jpg

My doctor and procedure is taking place about an hour and a half from where I live, and the transmission is gonna be rebuilt in the same city so I had to push thru the discomfort to get it out.

IMG00048-20120516-1750.jpg

It's a 1964 and had sat for 30 years in a garage so all the seals were shot, so a beefy C-4 is in the works!!!

IMG00050-20120516-1751.jpg

The highlight of the day: Dies are in!!!!!!!!!!

P5160222.jpg

Tommorow the plan is get my insides checked out and rest, but friday I WILL have a pipe bender!!!!!!!

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Pushing on, 'Cuz Jake says to!! GTB!!!!))

I'M GLAD THAT I INSPIRED YOU BUT IF YA NEED TO TAKE IT EASY PLEASE DO SO. I KNOW YOU'LL BEAT THIS. I SEND YOU GOOD HEALTH AND SPIRITS. YOU SLACKERS ON PAGE 2 AND BEYOND TAKE NOTE. I SALUTE YOU SIR!! GET TA LIVIN' AND GTB!! PEACE

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Pushing on, 'Cuz Jake says to!! GTB!!!!))

Jake Sensi said:
I'M GLAD THAT I INSPIRED YOU BUT IF YA NEED TO TAKE IT EASY PLEASE DO SO. I KNOW YOU'LL BEAT THIS. I SEND YOU GOOD HEALTH AND SPIRITS. YOU SLACKERS ON PAGE 2 AND BEYOND TAKE NOTE. I SALUTE YOU SIR!! GET TA LIVIN' AND GTB!! PEACE

Thanks Jake!

If it was something serious I would be takin' it easy, but its just yer average swallow a camera type thing. The prep (drinking the nasty stuff is the worst part). I go in at 8 am tomorrow and I can run around town all day and carry on as normal. Lucky for the would-be camera cleaner it's a disposable camera. I wear a belt all day and the camera transmits the pictures to the belt.

I have been dealing with this junk for a few years and I have gotten to the point where I am realizing it's gonna be part of my life so I haffta deal with it and carry on as my health permits.

Peatbog said:
Inshane64, I know a guy with that disease, and I know it ain't no fun. You have my sympathy. Hopefully things get better as quick as possible.

Still, I wanna see the tube bender! Nice Ford too, by the way.

Skipton said:
That's the right attitude!!!

Hope you feel better.

I love me a cool Ford :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see the bender in action!

Keep up the GREAT WORK! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the thoughts, I hope to be bending tube this weekend! I'll post pics and a video.

Latest posts

Back