Sweet Fancy Moses (Some bike work and another sidetrack!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ratrodders, can you believe it's been a whole year?!? This year I start with a dilemma, I have to possible ideas to base my build-off on:

Option 1 is a 1961 Schwinn Tiger that I have planned to use for the build off ever since finishing my bike last year.

P4250084.jpg

Option 2 is to base my build on these awesome parts that I lucked into, but that would require obtaining a frame.

2012-03-24_21-12-04_479.jpg

Option 3 is to combine the first two options and fit the skirts, chain guard, fender, rack, and springer to the Schwinn. Doing so would require altering at the very least the chain guard in a way not easily reversible.

I am really stuck on what to do!!!!

Re: The Undecided

I vote for option #3.....
Not a bad " Dilemma " to have... that's a nice frame and I'd LOVE to have those parts....
As far as altering the chainguard in a way not easily reversible .?.?.? It ain't called a RatRod for nothing....

Re: The Undecided

Either way will be cool, but if I had to choose...3 8)

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses

There's No Such Thing as FAIL.....
Have fun and do whatever you can or want to do....
But we all say #3 .....

Concur! Since you are going to do some butchering, I would take a section of 2 x 4 and hammer it in there to gently spread the dropouts and frame. I would start at the rear and hammer it up to the spot where you need the clearance. Then I would push the dropout ends back together with the wood still in there to get the alignment for the hub right. The bridge for the fender might bend just right as it spread apart and it might look natural.

Way to go. I look forward to seeing this pulled off.

Time to make room for my tires!!!

To make the tires fit I need to cut off the kickstand.
P4250086.jpg

The rear fender mount also hasta go.
P4250087.jpg

Spreading will be made easy thanks to NAPA's Spring Lift Kit
235534.jpg

Here it is in action:
P4250088.jpg

Now to cut the kickstand on one side to allow movement
P4260093.jpg

I used a bar clamp to make sure the movement does not just occur where the tube was weakened from the cut.
P4250091.jpg

After spreading I put a block of wood to keep it where I wanted it while I welded.
P4260095.jpg

Block of wood and metal dolly in place to keep the shape I want the frame to stay in while I pull the dropouts to their proper width.
P4260096.jpg

Again pulling the dropouts together.
P4260097.jpg

Tomorrow I will see how Fancy Moses is gonna look on the ground and hopefully take a spin around the block!!

NICELY DONE!

Wheel-set meets Frame!!!!

Took it out for a cruise today!!!
P5030132.jpg

Back tire is lookin' fine.
P5030133.jpg

Front tire not so much.
P5030134.jpg

Altho the tire is perfectly centered 'tween the forks when riding bumps and turns make metal and rubber meet. You can see the rubber dust in these two pics.
P5030135.jpg

You can't tell but they have ample clearence when parked, but during a ride I can notice rub. The wheels are true. I have no experience with these forks is this normal? Does the design not allow you to keep a wheel-set in place?
P5030138.jpg

I did put some washers on the fork to give me the clearance I thought I needed.
P5030139.jpg

Latest posts

Back