• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

$$$ Swap - Rare Krate $$$

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offering up for TRADE an ORIGINAL Iowa State Grey Ghost coaster krate - I've had this bike 20 yrs + it's extra nice throughout, but dusty/dirty - needs damp rag + a wax!

Because of rarity + condition , I'll consider a package consisting of multiple Sting Rays , parts or ?

Does include headlight not shown -

Also, the lock isn't there to hide anything - I added it thinkin it looked kool -

Please email direct for more pics /info - [email protected]

Attachments

• MVC-016F.JPG
    MVC-016F.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 316
  • MVC-017F.JPG
    MVC-017F.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 326
  • MVC-018F.JPG
    MVC-018F.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 306
  • MVC-019F.JPG
    MVC-019F.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 303
  • MVC-020F.JPG
    MVC-020F.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 274
Probably have better luck posting in the trade thread , here the Rulse say you must post a price , nice bike .

It is a nice bike. But the tag isn't that special. I have seen them on everything from staplers to coffee tables.
I really like the single speed Krates.

Wherever it gets posted, that is one RARE bike! Nice stuff as always Baldy!

Thanks to all for the thumbs up !

As for price, I'll say $2700 ish, but would much rather trade.

Hey rrtbike.......I'm thinkin the tag IS DEFINITELY special, as that's what distinguishes bike from other coaster krates.
It's one of eleven that were given that tag.

Out of curiosity, why would the state of iowa own these?
Found this:
A limited number of bike were used by the Iowa State Patrol in schools when they talked to students about
Bike safety. The number on Jeff's bike is to show it was State property. Schwinn donated them to the state,
when they were several years old they disposed of them. Some were then owned by a Des Moines Schwinn
dealer. They had a speaker on them and were called "Mike the Talking Bike"​

I remember seeing pictures of them in "use" years ago, but I can't find them. Probably from the original Schwinn forum.

Google "mike the talking bike". Found this too...

Schwinn Gray Ghost Coaster Brake Bike "Mike the Talking Bike" .

In the early 1970's the Iowa State Patrol Maintained a fleet of 13 Schwinn Gray Ghosts bikes, complete with public address system, siren, revolving red light and battery operated tape recorder.

This bike was called "Make the Talking Bike" Mike was kind of a puppet show in which a pre-recorded script between the bike (Mike) and the Iowa State Trooper was played though the onboard public address system. The Trooper used Mike and a film strip to promote bicycle safety to elementary schools through out the State of Iowa. Many along time Iowa natives will recognize that the voice of Mike the Talking Bike was that of the late Duane Elliott of the long running WHO-13 (NBC) TV Show "The Floppy Show"

Mike was also used at health fairs and was on display at the Iowa State Fair Hall of Justice for many years. After complaints of back injuries among the Troopers when loading and unloading their Mikes in to patrol cars, all 13 Mikes were retired from service in the 1980's. and replaced with smaller, lighter, non-talking Schwinn Bikes.​

In 1992 a total of 12 of the 13 Mikes were dismantled, but with the Patrol's permission one and only one Mike was preserved. Mike was on display at Barr Bike for many years but has been in storage for the last few years. This bike has been featured in "Stingrays II" and is a highly collectible. In 2002 Mike was listed on E-bay with a reserve surpassing $12,000 but a deal was never made. Mike is 100% original and includes the battery charger, four cassettes audio tapes and a framed Iowa State Patrol Certificate of Appreciation signed by the Colonel of the Iowa State Patrol at the time.​

Bike Mike 01.jpg

Last edited:
Wanted to thank you ALL for sharing your research - I'm an OLD guy + work w/ robotic-ally assisted CNC machining centers every day - get tired of messin w/ the modern technology crap after awhile! Still.........no excuse.......I should've spent more time on my homework!
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back