Supercycle Bullet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4892.JPG
IMG_4893.JPG
IMG_4894.JPG
IMG_4896.JPG
IMG_4900.JPG
I was able to grab this beauty for $15 yesterday. I thought it was such an interesting cruiser/MTB hybrid.

I started stripping the frame with plans of going single speed coaster to eliminate cables. I put some spare parts I had lying around just to get the vision flowing, but now I need your help.

This will be my first strand build and I'm curious about what you guys are using component wise, especially in the wheel department. What wheelsets are you guys running/recommending?

Thanks for any help. Progress pics posted up to date.

A lot depends on budget, style and intended use.

It also depends on if you are willing to try lacing wheels? Assuming you are willing to do the lacing, or pay a shop to do it, here are some ideas:

If budget is an issue, those alloy rims you have there will usually clean up ok, and work fine for just cruising with just a coaster swap on the rear.

If budget is less of an issue, but style is important, there are reproductions of the older style rims like the Araya 7X or the UKAI equivalent that have the all important look. Weinmann make a very similar looking rim for a really good price:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Weinmann...616430?hash=item464b74302e:g:UNoAAOSwGYVW-3Fl

If budget is not a big issue and you intend to really hammer the bike hard, it would be worth looking at something double or triple wall: freeride, downhill, tandem rated, that sort of thing...
There are options out there for under $50 a rim, but if money is really not an issue, you could spend some big $$$'s with this option...

I personally have 2 bikes that fit in to this style, one runs polished original Araya 7X's laced to a high flange Sunshine front and a 'hot-rodded' coaster on the rear. The other runs double walled and eyeletted 48 spoke tandem rated rims laced to sealed bearing Odyssey Hazard hubs with 14mm Chro-Moly axles and spin on disc brake adaptors...

Really depends on what you want to do with it, and how important the style is... :thumbsup:

If you intend to use the Coaster only, and use it hard, I would highly recommend having a watch of the video in this thread:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...-rodding-your-cb-hub-for-klunking-duty.93356/
The modifications makes the hub so much nicer to use and less prone to fading.

Luke.

Great looking frameset by the way, that will make a great looking BMX/Strandie!

Luke.
Thanks a lot for your input! I originally tried putting the wheels from my old dirt jumper on it, but the axle bolts are way too big for the fittings.

I think I'll go with some sort of mtb rims in the end, but I'm looking for some colour too I think. I'll have to do some more research and check the shops.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back