Super Collegiate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I was around 7 back in the early sevenites I got to ride my neighbors brand new Schwinn Collegiate. I loved that bike. So smooth, supple and swift. It was also one of the few brand new Schwinns I got to ride.

Another wonderful summer spent playing bicycles with you gents...thank you all so much.

Here she is. The Super Collegiate.

gw16 (2).jpg

Build thread http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/super-collegiate.103317/

1973 Schwinn Collegiate Model 717 17" "Camelback" frame and forks.

c1.jpeg

Weinmann DP 18 rims on generic hubs with Vittoria Corsa G+ tires. Sunlite 36mm stainless fenders.

Tektro R539 brake calipers with Dia Compe 12 NA Power Control levers.

SRAM NX 11 Speed cassette, derailleur, chain and gripshift with matching grips.

172.2 mm SRAM Force carbon cranks with SRAM X-sync 42t chainring. MKS Sylvan Touring pedals.

Cartridge bearing headset, alloy Suntour style seat post clamp. Dia Compe alloy stem. Velo Orange Tourist handlebars and Brooks B67 saddle.

cu8.jpg

cu2.jpg

cu1.jpg

cu5.jpg

cu6.jpg

cu3.jpg

cu9.jpg

Last edited:
The adaptation of the most up-to-date bicycle technology on this classic steel Schwinn horse is amazing!

Probably not all the viewers will follow the Build Thread, but put one up near the top just in case.

Thing is, you made many modifications to make this all work; bearings, drive line, 700c wheels and tires fitting fenders on a 26 x 1 /3/8 frame...all this might slip by the casual viewer, because it all works so well together! :41:

I love the tech. You got the 1 speed grip shifters, aero rims and the dual pivot brakes in and the bike still keeps it's pedigree!

It looks fast, also love the mix of new and old.

I bet this is a great riding fast bike . At first glance is just an other old bike . But when looking a little closer she got all the goods . New & smooth parts i bet it ride awesome . [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This bike has all the right stuff!

Latest posts

Back