Super Collegiate...Finally Finalized

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's always good to see a build off bike in action!

It's always good to see a build off bike in action!

It's great to have a runner. Took it to get coffee and had it parked between a mid nineties Paramount and a white fixed gear with white Thickslicks on it.

But before I could take it to get coffee I needed to ad a bottle cage.

Ordered some clamps online but they were too big so went berserk with some spokes again.

mmbc.jpg

mmbc3.jpg

mmbc4.jpg

Macro Monday shot.

mmbc2.jpg

Trying to remember when there's decent light at this park.

c23.jpg

There's where she sits today....new bottle cage..:21:

It's hard to image a real bottle cage ratted out... But you did it! Cool idea, I may recycle it.

Carl.

Look good man lots new parts on that old hump back frame . I bet she's fast too . I need one for my collection [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to image a real bottle cage ratted out... But you did it! Cool idea, I may recycle it.

Carl.

Wow thank you Carl!...I consider that high praise indeed.

Looking great! I can't even believe I'm about to suggest this but.... I think this needs some orange spoke mounted reflectors!?

Thanks! Neat idea...I have a set of those...should have put them on for the pic but forgot about it until I saw your post again. The Schwinn ones are orange on the front and red in the back.

Look good man lots new parts on that old hump back frame . I bet she's fast too . I need one for my collection [emoji1303]

Thank you G-Matt....she's a real rocket and easy to peddle up the hills....can be kinda scary going down hill...:eek:..:21:...26X1 3/8 Schwinn frame works great for the 700c conversion.

Moved the mounting point of the fender stays in the front to try and make them more level.

fenders7.jpg

Before pic.

c20.jpg

Would kind of liked to have made the adapters parallel with the forks but they will need modified to do that. Not sure I like the adapter covering the end of the fork....:39:

fenders8.jpg

Nice work on the cage mount. Sniffin' the Finished line....?

Nice work on the cage mount. Sniffin' the Finished line....?

Thank you brother OJ. I've got a little more minutia I can milk out of this build I think. But still enjoying goofing around and checking things out and offering up my 2 cents here and there. Still have to strip and polish the hoops too but I want to try and wait until July for that....and possibly gumwall tires but I like the tires that are on it..:39:

Couldn't remember why I took this pic then remembered I got cable caps at the local bike shop that day. I never feel like I'm crimping those right for some reason.

brakes7.jpg

Could take a while to get a decent pic too. Here's one where you can see through the cassette.

fenders9.jpg

It's all steel but they use as little of it as possible. This drivetrain was fairly cheap. Derailleur, shifter, chain and cassette were 144 shipped. Not bad for 11 speed. Functionally identical to the expensive setup I used last year but less pretty + heavier. Derailleur is all steel too.

Thinking about shiny cable guides for the top tube as well....:39:...maybe a back reflector. Got a few things left to play with.

Ch
Thank you brother OJ. I've got a little more minutia I can milk out of this build I think. But still enjoying goofing around and checking things out and offering up my 2 cents here and there. Still have to strip and polish the hoops too but I want to try and wait until July for that....and possibly gumwall tires but I like the tires that are on it..:39:

Couldn't remember why I took this pic then remembered I got cable caps at the local bike shop that day. I never feel like I'm crimping those right for some reason.

View attachment 53901

Could take a while to get a decent pic too. Here's one where you can see through the cassette.

View attachment 53902

It's all steel but they use as little of it as possible. This drivetrain was fairly cheap. Derailleur, shifter, chain and cassette were 144 shipped. Not bad for 11 speed. Functionally identical to the expensive setup I used last year but less pretty + heavier. Derailleur is all steel too.

Thinking about shiny cable guides for the top tube as well....:39:...maybe a back reflector. Got a few things left to play with.
Chad, that last pic angle is sweet. The air through the cassette, the rear springs on the saddle, the curve of the top tube and fenders and the bars coming back at you....

Now, get that same shot angle with a different background. Something all one color, like a cement road or parking lot. Or maybe a cement wall in the background. So in regard to the crimps, I like to use a small wire cutter, and crimp the cable end so it squeezes the end and leaves a crease. I usually crimp it three times, leaving 3 hash marks on the cable end.

Attachments

• wiresnips.jpeg
    wiresnips.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 215
Ch

Chad, that last pic angle is sweet. The air through the cassette, the rear springs on the saddle, the curve of the top tube and fenders and the bars coming back at you....

Now, get that same shot angle with a different background. Something all one color, like a cement road or parking lot. Or maybe a cement wall in the background.

Yeah good idea. Tried this wall but concrete would probably be better than the black top although it might be interesting with the polished hoops...:39:

c25.jpg

another angle in that spot.

c26.jpg

So in regard to the crimps, I like to use a small wire cutter, and crimp the cable end so it squeezes the end and leaves a crease. I usually crimp it three times, leaving 3 hash marks on the cable end.

Another great tip...I'll try that next time!

Now, get that same shot angle with a different background.

What?...what's wrong with my backgrounds?...:21:

c27.jpg

Did another adjustment on the front fender stay. Got it about even with the back stay which I'm going to call "good enough".

fenders10.jpg

Thinking about using a polished hub on the front. I have this one left over from another build. It has a quick release axle in it now.

hub5.jpg

Actually like that brick wall. Looks like blond brick like they used in the '60s, so it fits the build well!
chadtbuild.jpg

And, I think your hoops polished up to a Chad "T" will really be a vintage twist on a modern ride...which is what you are going for anyway, right? :nod::thumbsup:

Loving this build, all the updates, spoke trick for mounts (gonna steal that idea). Black and yellow looks great, but Im a big fan of shiny.

What are the details on the bottom bracket,are the cranks BB30?

Following Along.

And, I think your hoops polished up to a Chad "T" will really be a vintage twist on a modern ride...which is what you are going for anyway, right? :nod::thumbsup:

Thank you OJ...yeah modern performance parts with a "vintage" look (if we can call a '73 Collegiate vintage)...I'll re-visit that spot when i git'r done.

Loving this build, all the updates, spoke trick for mounts (gonna steal that idea). Black and yellow looks great, but Im a big fan of shiny.

What are the details on the bottom bracket,are the cranks BB30?

Following Along.

Thank you! It is not BB30 but those seem to show up a lot for cheap on ebay. I just used one of these adapters.

TF-333222361058-1.jpg

Bottom bracket is called a GXP and fits that SRAM/Truvativ hollow spindle. It just screws into a regular 3-pc bb.

It uses external bearings that you use a special tool...(or channel locks) to install.

Will need to get a better pic later but was able to find a couple that kind of show the bearing cups.

bb.jpg

bb2.jpg

Thank you OJ...yeah modern performance parts with a "vintage" look (if we can call a '73 Collegiate vintage)...I'll re-visit that spot when i git'r done.

Thank you! It is not BB30 but those seem to show up a lot for cheap on ebay. I just used one of these adapters.

TF-333222361058-1.jpg

Bottom bracket is called a GXP and fits that SRAM/Truvativ hollow spindle. It just screws into a regular 3-pc bb.

It uses external bearings that you use a special tool...(or channel locks) to install.

Will need to get a better pic later but was able to find a couple that kind of show the bearing cups.

View attachment 54185

View attachment 54186
And those 'outboard' bearings really help widen surface area of support for the spindle / tube and gives the whole crank area a firm foundation to 'hammer' on. That's cyclist talk for standing and pedaling like a banshee...:21:

And those 'outboard' bearings really help widen surface area of support for the spindle / tube and gives the whole crank area a firm foundation to 'hammer' on. That's cyclist talk for standing and pedaling like a banshee...:21:

This type of crank has a noticeable light butteryness that you don't really feel with any other type of crank for sure. I like the Sram ones because they have the hollow end on the drive side.

Got it on the cranks, Im familiar with the parts, nice solution.
Good stuff going on here.

Cool cool..thanks..lemme know if you do one of those BB30 adaptors. That's a great idea.

Here's a pic of the non-drive side where the crank arm bolts on. Got these cranks cheap because these graphics were messed up on the drive side so I sanded them off and sprayed some clear on there. Was too lazy to do it to this side.

cranks5.jpg

Got some new Dia Compe cable guides.

mm3.jpg

Added a piece of flanged grip to try and balance out the shifter and blend in the grip shift brake lever.

grip.jpg

Took a little ride today. Need to adjust the fender and polish the hoops still.

c28.jpg

Looks clean..................and fast!

You know what, it looks good up against that green grass background too. Especially with that clover mixed in. Better finish before that clover turns brown...:21:

Latest posts

Back